Restriction in OEM pipes...

IGO 202

Established Member
I have a 2013 GT with a Steeda X-pipe & hi-flow cats and GT500 mufflers.
After looking at the resonators and the crimping of the pipes over the axles I was wondering how much it chokes the exhaust down?

I was thinking of selling my axle backs and buying a new catback system but was wondering if someone makes just the pipes from the cats to the mufflers to do away with the resonators and restrictive piping. I thought about going to a muffler shop and just have the piping fabbed up but didn't know if the 500 mufflers without resonators will cause cabin drone.

Are pipes available to buy that will fit? Does a good, quality catback system (needs to be fairly quiet) actually pick up any horsepower by doing away with the resonators and crimped piping?

Thanks for any help,
Dan

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You can buy over the axel pipes from jcp an leathal

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Borla is also a option for over the axel pipes

I just put the borla over axles on my car and the fitment was great. You will not find any of better quality than the borlas. Also, I noticed an immediate difference in power over the stock pipes. It woke the car up even more. Best place to buy them is at Maryland speed. It will take about 2 weeks to get them because they are in high demand and back ordered. I don't think you can go wrong with the lethal or jpc's either.

IGO 202

Established Member
Perfect! Thanks guys for the replies.

Would deleting the resonators create a drone using GT500 axlebacks?
Also, would the car be much louder?

Thanks again,
Dan

blackcoyote13

Established Member
Usually any chambered muffler will kill drone, even if the rasp and/or high pitch frequencies are still there. GT500 is a chambered muffler.

The stock resonators dip down to 2.5" or so inside but the crimps do not impede flow, they are in the outer shell, not in the inner flow tube. I just replaced my resonators with 3" x 4" Magnaflow straight through mufflers. Sounds similar but no flow loss and a bit deeper.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I have the same steeda HFC X you do, and im swapping my gt500's back in. With the jba's sounds great and deep, but attenuates at high rpm. removing the res on gt500 will likely add rasp to your set up

Users who are viewing this thread