Retune for lower pulley?

orlo

Established Member
I recently had my posi ported cobra dyno tuned and didn't hit the numbers I expected. She put down 482/447 at just under 13 psi. I'm thinking that maybe my catless headers/h-pipe is keeping the boost on the low side. The tuner recommended a lower pulley to help the blower spin a little bit more. I want to go with either a 2 lb or 4 lb. The tuner only deals with mustangs and has tuned hundreds if not thousands of cobras. He claimed that I shouldn't need a re-tune if I just add a lower pulley. Is this true? Also, for my 2.8 upper pulley, would you guys recommend a 2lb or 4 lb lower? I really want to hit 500whp and gain atleast 30-40 wtq. Thanks guys!

Rusak23

Established Member
you might have been able to get away with it if you were only doing a 2lb lower but you already have a smaller upper. like said above time for a new tuner

orlo

Established Member
So with a 2.8 upper, you guys still recommend going with a 4lb lower rather than a 2 lb? And to those that are running a 4lb lower, how has the reliability been? I have to imagine the difference would be pretty noticeable for me, especially with my lower torque reading.

TRBO VNM

I am going to go against the majority here. But first I will say getting a retune isn't a bad thing. At a MINIMUM you should have it checked.

It will depend on how the car was tuned. This has been discussed in the past, but not sure if you will find the threads because it has been a while from what I recall.

There are different ways to tune a car. It can be tuned such that by adding boost you do not have to have a retune. The computer will adjust for the additional boost and add the fuel needed to maintain the a/f.

When I had my turbo setup, I could go from 10# to 25# of boost without changing my tune. I just needed to make sure my fuel octane could support the power.

So if you have the octane and your fuel system is setup to handle the power, adding boost does not mean you have to retune. But it depends on how it was tuned.

So those recommending to find a new tuner, that is incorrect.

OP, like I said, getting it at least checked on the dyno or street logging a/f should be a minimum. It doesn't necessarily mean you need a retune.

Users who are viewing this thread