Rev-matched down shifts?

BlownAway03

Established Member
I think auto Rev matching should be standard in any track oriented sports car now. I love it in my Stingray, and I've never even been to a road course. It's one of those things where you just say, why not?

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I think auto Rev matching should be standard in any track oriented sports car now. I love it in my Stingray, and I've never even been to a road course. It's one of those things where you just say, why not?
I agree and it's works well on the Stingray. I used the Auto-BLiP on my Boss and it worked great. I'll be installing one on my GT350 too.

http://www.auto-blip.com/

cluscher

Established Member
I love the fact that despite the technology and rather cutting edge engineering in several aspects of this car, it is still a purist driver's car. This is what a Mustang should be, and those of us who grew up driving them and learning their raw tendencies are much better drivers because of it. No rev-match for me.

BlownAway03

Established Member
I love the fact that despite the technology and rather cutting edge engineering in several aspects of this car, it is still a purist driver's car. This is what a Mustang should be, and those of us who grew up driving them and learning their raw tendencies are much better drivers because of it. No rev-match for me.

That's why there's a toggle switch in the Stingray, and Rev match is defaulted to off. The technology is out there. Why not use it?

rwboring

Established Member
Costs...this car was engineered to a specific price point. Anything added took away from something else.

haha Shelby fought traction control as long as he could... i think the actual quote from his was essentially you have traction control, your feet... my fellow engineers are helping the non-talented drive! haha not that i didn't tinker with launch control when my car was new... :)

Voltwings

Established Member
That's why there's a toggle switch in the Stingray, and Rev match is defaulted to off. The technology is out there. Why not use it?

Because i think its cheating. If the car rev matches for you, you're essentially just "going through the motions" when down shifting, and may as well be driving a flappy paddle auto. Most of the skill coming into a corner is determined by your ability to juggle 3 pedals. I'll admit, my Dad has a C7z and the rev match works well, but i just dont like it, i prefer to do it myself.

Lemers

Established Member
I had rev matching in my 370z MT.

I turned it on a couple times and didn't notice anything different than when I had it off.

So either I drive like a grandpa or I drive like Ricky Bobby.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Most of the C7 guys I've talked to at HPDE events including instructors said they hated the C7 rev matching and would turn it off and do it manually.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Most of the C7 guys I've talked to at HPDE events including instructors said they hated the C7 rev matching and would turn it off and do it manually.

not surprised, the more seasoned track guys are comfortable doing it themselves, hell most mustangs until maybe recently doing a rev match downshift under breaking is incredibly difficult thanks to the pedal placement. For people without as much practice Im sure its great. I havent experienced this or a car with launch mode but I bet most hard core drag racers turn off launch mode because theyre in the minority that can do better while it helps the others. Thats my .01 anyway

krt22

Established Member
Costs...this car was engineered to a specific price point. Anything added took away from something else.
In a drive by wire car, there is very little cost, its a one time software development cost

But I can see this one being hard to do well.

The auto-blip looks interesting, but it looks like its a fixed about of "blip", does it have any issues with variable corner entry/exit speeds?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
The art of heel toe-ing is gone lol.. Jesus. Auto blimp, all the batman features.. Might as well be a GTR

krt22

Established Member
Its not about the art of doing it, its not difficult at all, its just one less thing to worry about when you get to a certain pace at the track.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Agreed that it is an art and hard to do well let alone master. I find it easier on a track than around town but I've gotten so used to it I don't even think about it anymore.

krt22

Established Member
It is definitely easier on the track, on the street its a bit tricky since you are rarely standing on the brakes while doing it. Takes more practice to maintain partial brake pedal pressure while hitting the gas. But in really hard braking corners, its just one more thing to worry about

sonic cobra

Established Member

I actually felt the same way. I was proud of the fact that i was able to master the heel toe downshift on my '03 Cobra, which was a challenge. But after trying the Auto rev match on my C7, it is way faster and absolutely flawless.
Not necessary on the street, but on the track its way better than I could ever hope to be.. I figure, I paid for it, might as well use it to my advantage. After all, how much different is that than putting on R comps to improve your corner entry speeds, or a Torsen T2r Diff to get the power down earlier out of the corner.
We are all, always looking for an advantage.

sonic cobra

Established Member

The auto rev match on the original C7 had its issues. it has been refined in 2015 and 2016.
Just like no professional driver can shift a manual as fast as a dual clutch auto, its hard for me to imagine anyone besting the current system in the 2016 C7.
I've only had mine for a month now, so have no track experience yet, but first impressions are even better than I thought possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread