Reworking the factory strut tower brace to fit the FRPP/Whipple CAI

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Nice Tob. I've come to expect nothing but the best from you. I am trying to figure out how to get my kr stb to clear the JLT big air Cai

Sent from N8's iPhone

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
So was it worth all the work.
I guess as long as you learn something, no effort was wasted.

Nice Tob. I've come to expect nothing but the best from you. I am trying to figure out how to get my kr stb to clear the JLT big air Cai

I'm an eternal pessimist that tends to focus on the failures instead of the successes. That said, this exercise was far from optimum and were I to do it over again I know exactly what I'd do differently. Therein lies my satisfaction.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Nice work, but does it actually help the car in ANY way? Personally I cant see it doing anything for the car, and was put there by Ford, for the allure of making it more "corner carver" appealing. The truth is in the weight of the car, and I cant see the STB making one bit of difference. Thats just my opinion. I have no conclusive evidence to back it up either.
I think Lord Van doesnt use one either?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I laid my reasoning out in the first paragraph. To recap - it really didn't matter either way to me whether the car has one or not.

There are valid arguments on each side. I can't vouch for the factory's measurable intent here. There are plenty of fast cars that have nothing of the sort that ties each tower to one another.

Then again, I have seen footage where dynamic strut tower movement was documented. Does the plane that the STB resides in help to mitigate yielding strut towers? Quite possibly, however minor the effect may be. How does that translate into a 'quicker' car, specifically the two ton GT500? I'll leave that to the vehicle dynamics engineer(s) that designed this particular brace.

Suffice it to say that the part is light enough that adding it probably doesn't negatively affect anything.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Tob what's next? If there is one car up here that I admire, it's Tobs. Everything is done at home with sheer ingenuity. Gotta respect those that do not believe that something can't be done. Top it off with step by step guides on how to do. (better than instructions I get with high dollar parts) Looking forward to the next piece of the car that you modify, if there's anything left.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Probably '13 brakes. Because I need them? Hell no.

I'm also going to hammer FRPP to consider a 10-1/2" version of the '13 base GT500 wheel, repeatedly. I'm going to continue to encourage them to come up with a CF driveshaft as well.

Fabrication wise, this year I'd like to whip up a rubber bushed rear upper control arm that is adjustable. Something similar to what Roush uses in terms of bushings but also able to be adjusted to optimize pinion angle for a given ride height and a specific application. I dunno. There's a lot of ideas swirling around Dirty.

2Sharpie

Established Member
Probably '13 brakes. Because I need them? Hell no.

I'm also going to hammer FRPP to consider a 10-1/2" version of the '13 base GT500 wheel, repeatedly. I'm going to continue to encourage them to come up with a CF driveshaft as well.

Fabrication wise, this year I'd like to whip up a rubber bushed rear upper control arm that is adjustable. Something similar to what Roush uses in terms of bushings but also able to be adjusted to optimize pinion angle for a given ride height and a specific application. I dunno. There's a lot of ideas swirling around Dirty.

In the Feb issue of MM&FF one of the SVT engineers is holding a CF driveshaft -- I was under the impression it was going to be standard on the '13??

And Tob..what happened with the Boss quad pipes and the cut-outs??

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
In the Feb issue of MM&FF one of the SVT engineers is holding a CF driveshaft -- I was under the impression it was going to be standard on the '13??

And Tob..what happened with the Boss quad pipes and the cut-outs??
the '13 driveshaft won't fit the earlier cars, the '13s TR-6060 has a different tailshaft housing that (IIRC) shortens the driveshaft length.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
IMG]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/273/img0485srt.jpg[/IMG]
He has the round brace but it fits. After never using it for the last 3 years, it's up there. I told him what ever flexing was happening the damage is done lol

Is there rub with that setup on the hood blanket?

Imatk

Established Member
Awesome man and YES we really need a CF driveshaft!

Sucks that the '13 won't fit :(

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
I laid my reasoning out in the first paragraph. To recap - it really didn't matter either way to me whether the car has one or not.

There are valid arguments on each side. I can't vouch for the factory's measurable intent here. There are plenty of fast cars that have nothing of the sort that ties each tower to one another.

Then again, I have seen footage where dynamic strut tower movement was documented. Does the plane that the STB resides in help to mitigate yielding strut towers? Quite possibly, however minor the effect may be. How does that translate into a 'quicker' car, specifically the two ton GT500? I'll leave that to the vehicle dynamics engineer(s) that designed this particular brace.

Suffice it to say that the part is light enough that adding it probably doesn't negatively affect anything.

it is like the inflatable life preserver underneath your airline seat :)

doesn't hurt - might help

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Is there rub with that setup on the hood blanket?

What setup? Tob needs to have a fabrication business on the side. The dedication and craftsmanship he puts in is second to none. Not saying he would do it for everyone though:poke: good job TOB. Looking forward to the next mod. He has to have the most personal customized GT500

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
it is like the inflatable life preserver underneath your airline seat :)

doesn't hurt - might help

Killer analogy that had me grinning.

What setup? Tob needs to have a fabrication business on the side. The dedication and craftsmanship he puts in is second to none. Not saying he would do it for everyone though:poke: good job TOB. Looking forward to the next mod. He has to have the most personal customized GT500

Dirty, I have yet to figure out many things. But I do know this - when I need a promoter, you're getting the call. Don King ain't got nuthin' on you!:rockon:

Next time I do something I'm going to feel compelled to give attention to even the most obscure details. You will be the voice in my head telling me that I can do better! Hehe. I'm just glad to be above ground and to have the honor of sharing in this hobby with you and everyone else here. :coolman:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Nice work, but does it actually help the car in ANY way? Personally I cant see it doing anything for the car, and was put there by Ford, for the allure of making it more "corner carver" appealing. The truth is in the weight of the car, and I cant see the STB making one bit of difference. Thats just my opinion. I have no conclusive evidence to back it up either.
I think Lord Van doesnt use one either?
sorta off topic, but thought you might like this, lots of intriguing info...
Do strut tower braces do ANYTHING? - Corner-Carvers Forums

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'm assuming no chance in hell the FRPP brace would work regardless of the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread