Riding Mowers

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Fabricated? You mean a welded piece instead of stamped metal, right? What brands offer that? I'm assuming it just lasts a lot longer?

Your government is lying to you
Yes, welded. Usually shown by angles in the deck construction instead of sweeping curves. Most good independent mower shops will have fabricated decks. Most of the major brands NOT at box stores have fabricated decks.

Yes, Lowes and Home Depot carry big brands like Deere and such. There is a significant difference in those offerings vs the mower/outdoor stores.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Check the stand ups... You'll make quick work of it, doesn't take as much space and is awesome to maneuver.

I mow just over 1/3 of an acre. I bought a 52" SCAG V Ride II. I chose it over the 48" because the deck sticks out 2" outside of your rear tires and it makes it much easier to trim without putting black marks (from tires) on the house or objects.
I have a John Deere 42" Zero turn and that is my only complaint about the mower. That is the deck is the same width as the outside of the rear tires. PITA mowing around lawn features. I have just resigned myself to mowing 2-4" away and using a weed wacker to cut up close. Other wise after mowing 1 acre for 3 years with it I have not had a single issue.

IA Shelby

Established Member
John Deere X384 with 4WS

I have the same mower. The 4WS makes a huge difference. Rips through an acre with tons of trees and landscaping in an hour. Had it for quite a while with zero issues.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a nearly 20 year old commercial Cub Cadet. It's a tank. 16HP Vangard V-2 is the best mower engine I've ever owned.

velocicaur

Established Member
Zero turn. People with tractors need to get with the program. Granted, those AWS ones do look nifty.

You'll leave plenty of marks on your yard while you get used to it. It comes with the territory. It's going to be tough on new sod but it's manageable. Keep it straight and do 3-4 point turns.

One thing that hasn't been said is to make sure your landscape guy makes it manageable for a mower. You see these landscaping jobs that are done and look great but they have a couple 90 degree angles. The turns are too tight so you have to run the wheels on the rocks/mulch, etc. Trees are places in asinine areas that will cause nothing but a headache. Even worse, let's put in a fence that doesn't have any borders so you have to run the trimmer for the next 30 years. I think the most important thing about picking a mower is having your yard set up for the mower. He's not mowing the yard. You are. Make sure it is designed to be easy to mow.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
What do you guys think of this one?

Was talking to an acquaintance today and he was highly recommending this Cub Cadet. Has the Kawasaki motor and a fabricated deck.

velocicaur

Established Member
50" Deck is a wonky number for a machine. Homeowner machines tend to have "off" numbers which I never understood. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Parents have a 50" Toro with a 24hp and the suspension platform. It must be almost identical to the Cub Cadet. It is a great machine and I don't think you will be disappointed. The deck edging is a little tight like others have mentioned. It's not a deal breaker by any means. You won't even notice it if it is your first one.

It sounds like you'll be on fresh landscaping so it should be very smooth. I would recommend getting the best seat/suspension seat/platform/etc. that you can. ZTRs are not pleasant on anything that is rough.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Dual trans is good. 23hp is a decent size for the deck size. Looks like it's only available at mower/powersports locations so that's good.

I'd suggest visiting your local mower dealers and actually talking to the sales staff in there and see what they suggest/what they have luck with, etc. Not sure if you will be doing your own service, but if not, then you need to have a dealer close to you.

You'll also find there are some manufacturers that makes several different brands. For example, Ferris makes the Simplicity zero turns, and I want to say they also make the Toro ZT as well. When you start looking at different brands, you'll be able to recognize them pretty quickly. Look specifically at the deck controls for raising and lowering, front spindle setup, etc. At one point, Simplicity was making Massey lawn tractors, but I've not paid any attention to them in several years. Simplicity actually owns Ferris, and Ferris has been around a LONG time, just like Simplicity has.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
What do you guys think of this one?

Was talking to an acquaintance today and he was highly recommending this Cub Cadet. Has the Kawasaki motor and a fabricated deck.
Nope, get the ZT-2. Different tires, transmissions and more. That one has the 2200's.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I was looking at the Cab Cadet zero turn with steering wheel, never liked the levers.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I forgot the model we have but it's a John Deere D series with a two cylinder and 42" cut. I wanted 2 cylinders so it strains far less when the grass gets out of hand here in the summer. The only complaint i have is its a mess when changing the oil and filter but simply spraying it off with the water hose before starting the engine works just fine. The narrower the deck is, the more space you retain in your shed where it is parked.

It's going to be a cold day in hell before I own a zero turn. I dont need the speed and sure dont want the repair bills when the hydraulics start to fail.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
SCAG Liberty Z..... End of discussion lol

scag-LibertyZ_armrests-studio_hero.png.jpeg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ask if they have one you can test drive - that will give you a feel for how good the hydro controls are. Some are way better than others.

That's an understatement haha

It can be as crazy as comparing a 1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer on the racetrack, compared to a 2022 GT3 car.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I am looking hard at the Toro / Bad Boy mowers currently. I mow about 6 acres and have been using an MTD 50" regular riding mower for most of the time last couple of years...…I borrow a A zero turn from time to time and it cuts the job in half time wise and works so much more efficiently. Initially, I couldn't justify the extra cost but now it just makes to much sense not to upgrade. Life is so dang busy, I have got to get something that gets the job done faster....

Users who are viewing this thread