Riding Mowers

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I am looking hard at the Toro / Bad Boy mowers currently. I mow about 6 acres and have been using an MTD 50" regular riding mower for most of the time last couple of years...…I borrow a A zero turn from time to time and it cuts the job in half time wise and works so much more efficiently. Initially, I couldn't justify the extra cost but now it just makes to much sense not to upgrade. Life is so dang busy, I have got to get something that gets the job done faster....
Holy cow, that's a lot of seat time. Choose ground speed over width of cut (assuming it's decently smooth). Ground speed wins every time on something of that size.

Is that actual lawn or just field or something like that? That size you could almost justify going to a tractor with a decent bush hog on the back. It won't be any faster than a ZT, but it will ride a lot smoother and you can use it for other stuff. With six acres, you have plenty of other stuff.

Then again, a good ZT could mow that in 3-4 hours, give or take. Minimum 10mph ground speed for something like that. Stay away from big block (1000cc) engine or you'll be burning 2-2.5 gallons of fuel per hour. That's why they have the ability to carry ten gallons of fuel. 27-30hp should do the ticket.

Oh, and don't mow it with the deck on the ground. 3.75" minimum. Much easier on equipment, fuel usage and the grass itself.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Zero turn. People with tractors need to get with the program. Granted, those AWS ones do look nifty.

You'll leave plenty of marks on your yard while you get used to it. It comes with the territory. It's going to be tough on new sod but it's manageable. Keep it straight and do 3-4 point turns.

One thing that hasn't been said is to make sure your landscape guy makes it manageable for a mower. You see these landscaping jobs that are done and look great but they have a couple 90 degree angles. The turns are too tight so you have to run the wheels on the rocks/mulch, etc. Trees are places in asinine areas that will cause nothing but a headache. Even worse, let's put in a fence that doesn't have any borders so you have to run the trimmer for the next 30 years. I think the most important thing about picking a mower is having your yard set up for the mower. He's not mowing the yard. You are. Make sure it is designed to be easy to mow.
You do realize the OP said his lawn was .5 acre. My 4WS JD does just fine. I agree with a zero turn if you had a much bigger lot,

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I have a little over an acre and pleased with my XT1.

Cub-Cadet_XT1LT42_New_2000x2000_16.jpg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I've had the Toro Time Cutter for 1 year. Gets the job done very happy with it.

What blades does take, star or two bolt, have a picture of them? I have the CC ZT-2 50", and it's hard to find mulching blades besides buying them direct from CC and getting ass raped.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Went and looked at the cub cadet.

Ended up buying it. This dealer also carried the bad boy line of mowers. They just didn't look as refined as the cub. Also, they were quite a bit more. The next level of cub, with the steering wheel, was nearly $1500 more. For how large of lawn I'll have, I didn't see the need to spend that kind of money. Looks like I won't get to use it until November anyway. Grass needs to settle in first.

Thanks for all the info guys. I may have just gone to Lowes and got some cheap junk.

Your government is lying to you

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Ended up buying it. This dealer also carried the bad boy line of mowers. They just didn't look as refined as the cub. Also, they were quite a bit more. The next level of cub, with the steering wheel, was nearly $1500 more. For how large of lawn I'll have, I didn't see the need to spend that kind of money. Looks like I won't get to use it until November anyway. Grass needs to settle in first.

Thanks for all the info guys. I may have just gone to Lowes and got some cheap junk.

Which model?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member

Remember - the way to not tear up your grass on turns is to keep BOTH wheels moving at the same time. If you have to, don't make a full 180degree turn, do a three point turn (slowly) and that helps. And to keep driving straight, set your speed and steer with ONE handle, not both at the same time. Both will make your lines look like a drunkard.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Holy cow, that's a lot of seat time. Choose ground speed over width of cut (assuming it's decently smooth). Ground speed wins every time on something of that size.

Is that actual lawn or just field or something like that? That size you could almost justify going to a tractor with a decent bush hog on the back. It won't be any faster than a ZT, but it will ride a lot smoother and you can use it for other stuff. With six acres, you have plenty of other stuff.

Then again, a good ZT could mow that in 3-4 hours, give or take. Minimum 10mph ground speed for something like that. Stay away from big block (1000cc) engine or you'll be burning 2-2.5 gallons of fuel per hour. That's why they have the ability to carry ten gallons of fuel. 27-30hp should do the ticket.

Oh, and don't mow it with the deck on the ground. 3.75" minimum. Much easier on equipment, fuel usage and the grass itself.
It's pretty much all yard lol.....Cheers to living in the middle of nowhere! I do normally cut it at around 4"in long. Especially the parts that are away from the house. Only about 2 acres of it is the actual yard around the house.

I've considered a tractor as well, but I really like the speed of the zero turn and I don't really want to let it get too terribly long again like it was. Haven't completely ruled it out, I just feel like the zero checks the boxes I need and can be used across the board.

You are correct with the time wise. When I've borrowed the 60in turn in the past I can do it all in 3 hours time pretty well....Which is soooo nice vs the 6-7 on regular lawn tractor.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Right there with you on the middle of nowhere stuff. It's all about tradeoffs. The tractor you can do more stuff with, but bouncing around on a tractor isn't going to happen at the speed the ZT is capable of. Put a nice suspension seat on the ZT and it will amaze you. Plus, uses a lot less fuel. A small tractor with a brush mower is going to take longer than the ZT, and use more fuel and maintenance.

I have a ZT and a compact tractor. The ZT does all the mowing and the tractor does all the other stuff (has a bucket on it).

It's kind of like building a fast car. You get to the point where it's too much car for the street. A tractor does a lot of things decent to good. A ZT does mowing better than anything else. But you can't move dirt with it. LOL

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Anyone ever had bad issues out of Toro Zmaster series mowers? Specifically a Z2000? Guy called me today and shot a pretty darn good price that I am thinking about going with......I just know of no one really that owns them.

Users who are viewing this thread