Right Rear Outer Halfshaft Boot Spilt Again!

tomsgarage

Established Member
Now I know this is not the forum for this, but thought I would post here as I am an On Track Fan and not a Straight Line Fan. I run open track events about two to three times a year (like to do more but son in college...you know the story) and one year ago I had to replace the right side halfshaft as the outside boot had split. Original halfshaft, figured that was par for the course in six years of driving and doing track events. I was getting the car ready to run another event and found that the replacement shaft outside boot has split again right around the clamp. Now I had replaced the original shaft with Ford OEM unit and expected it to last about the same amount of time. The last event I ran was back in December and serviced the car after and found no issues beside replacing my track pads and rotors with my street set.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue, and if so what have you done to correct it? I have my mods listed in my signature.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Tom, I don't have that issue, having a SRA. But I wonder if the cause of the failure is more age related than usage related?
Any way of finding out when the replacement halfshaft was made?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It's heat.

Bruce had this happen several times too on his R.

The fix is to cut the outer boot- inner clamp off(the little one), slip a nozzle from a can of WD40 or brake clean or what ever... under the inner clamped area of the outer boot as a vent, re clamp with universal CV Boot clamps or HD wire ties that can be torqued down.

Without this... diff heat, exhaust heat and rear brake heat combine and INFLATE the outer CV boot, while it's inflated and spinning it rubs on the closest thing(can't remember what it touches) which opens it up like a little can opener...
Then....SMURF POO EVERYWHERE!!!

Hopefully Bruce will post up with tips.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Now I know this is not the forum for this, but thought I would post here as I am an On Track Fan and not a Straight Line Fan. I run open track events about two to three times a year (like to do more but son in college...you know the story) and one year ago I had to replace the right side halfshaft as the outside boot had split. Original halfshaft, figured that was par for the course in six years of driving and doing track events. I was getting the car ready to run another event and found that the replacement shaft outside boot has split again right around the clamp. Now I had replaced the original shaft with Ford OEM unit and expected it to last about the same amount of time. The last event I ran was back in December and serviced the car after and found no issues beside replacing my track pads and rotors with my street set.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue, and if so what have you done to correct it? I have my mods listed in my signature.

Well, I had a similar problem quite a few years ago. Oddly enough, my boot that kept ripping was the drivers's outer. :shrug:

I tore three of them in less than a month's time. I could not figure out what the hell was going on. Then someone suggested to vent the boot. I took a spray straw for a can of WD-40 and cut the clamp on the outer halfshaft boot where it attaches to the shaft itself, slipped the tube in and put a worm screw hose clamp over. (pic below) Have not blown a boot since! They said the boot was inflating from heat build-up and then it would catch on the coil-over and tear. It worked for me! Hopefully it will work for you!!??

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

bootvent.jpg

tomsgarage

Established Member
Wow! Great idea, I will try it.

Also, if I can stop spending money on halfshafts I can finally get Bruce's kit!

Thanks for the replys :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread