Rim Repair

BAD03SVT

Established Member
Well after working too many hours i grazed the curb leaving the parking garage from work. Any suggestions on repairing? image.jpg

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
I found a local powder coating shop that also did wheel repair. Once completed i couldnt tell it ever happened and mine was about the same as yours. I elected to go ahead and change the color at the same time. There should be plenty of wheel repair places local to you. They usually do a good job fixing minor curb rash. Just make sure they have the correct paint color for the rims. Its a little tricky to match.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Local dealer may be able to steer you. We had a rim repair guy come to our dealer once a week to fix wheels.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
My cousin does rim repair for a living (and surprising a very good living at that). He has accounts with dealerships that he goes to once or twice a week and repairs all the rims on lease turn ins, auction cars and damaged test drive cars. I've seen his work and you'd be hard pressed to find his repair. I'm sure there are similar services in your area and a good one will make it look brand new.

Usually paintless dent removal companies have wheel guys on staff or at least know who to call if your local dealerships won't help you or try to charge you over $50-$100. Dealerships might try to charge you through the service department then pay the wheel repair guy half what they charge you. My cousin charges between $50 and $100 for side work, depending on the severity of damage and cost of paint.

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I don't know about Alcoa's but on most wheels, my cousin doesn't "fill" the gouges with anything at all. He uses a few different proprietary pucks on an angle grinder to bring the lip to a level appearing finish, then repaints them with an airbrush to blend it all back to normal. I'd venture to say that the repair done on those Alcoas was similar.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
When the material loss is substantial, how do you blend what is no longer there?

Black Sex

Established Member

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
Looks like he does good work. Wonder if I can ship him a rim to repair. I'll email and find out. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread