Road and Track ZL1 vs. GTR

csc427

Established Member
I wish they would test the ZL1 against the Corvette Grand Sport. Or better yet the ZO6..............Not going to happen.

the latest issue of automobile magazine tested the zl1 vs the grand sport. very similar numbers from the two. no lap times.
gs: 0-60:4.3s, 0-100:9.7s, 1/4 mile:12.7@114
zl1: 0-60:4.3s, 0-100:9.5s, 1/4 mile:12.6@116

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Did you notice the disclaimer about the weather in this PDF?

Said traction was hit or miss with the ZL1 due to frigid temperatures. Would they please bring this gash damn car down to sea level and test it at the 1/4 mile. I'm tired of the excuses and want to see real number that an excuse can't be made about. Then I can drive the fact home that Camaro lovers (and AL Op.) need to shut it, their car is NOTHING like described.
Don't get too upset about the weather disclaimer and tires. The Boss LS was using Comp DOT tires, the GTR was using Dunlop's, very similar to the Goodyear G2's. The Boss still did fine with traction, the GTR still did an 11.2 in the quarter... Why is the ZL1 the only one affected by 40 degree temperatures?

However, Road and Track did conveniently snap a picture of the GTR-s panel that displayed the outside temp...
2012-nissan-gt-r-premium-29_gallery_image_large.jpg
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs.-2013-nissan-gt-r-premium/gallery3
Of course, it could be an onboard computer malfunction...

The ZL1 experienced a display malfunction during the photoshoot as well, it alerted the driver that it's minivan doors were open, or, it actually thinks it is a minivan...
2013-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-42_gallery_image_large.jpg
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs.-2013-nissan-gt-r-premium/gallery2

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I believe that track is 4000 ft up. Where I'm at (4600ft up) ss camaros run 14.4 to 13.9. Stock 03 cobra's run 14.0-13.6, and c6 z06/05+ vipers run 12.5-13.0.

A zl1 running a 12.9 that high up isn't too bad. The 113 is also good. Up here (4600ft) stock c6z06's trap 116 on a perfect run.

Now if the 12.9@113 is a corrected number and it had actually run like a 13.7@108 then the cars a turd and wasn't adjusted/calibrated for altitude.
(most magazines correct times so I'd assume they had)

Either way, I have never seen a magazine pull a 12.9@113 in a 2011 gt500 so al I has officially failed.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ahahaha lol at 65* being cold.

28*... That is cold, 65? You should have no problem on a 65* day with "traction management"

Like he said the gtr ran an 11.2

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Cold makes the 113 mph look even worse. A blown car with cold air running 6 mph slower than manufacturer claim? I can buy getting a shitty ET but it makes no sense that the car runs weak trap speeds in cold weather. It's not like it makes enough power to be blasting off the tires at 100 mph.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Everybody check out Camaro 5's thread on this please! "do you really think a zl1 will compete with a gtr? I've seen a gtr beat a veyron!"

So funny! But when the zl1 ran a lap time on the nurburgring that was right on the gtr's time "dude the zl1 is that fast, it's a track car, it's not a straight line car like the gt500!"

Ahahahhahahaha the reality is setting in and I'm loving every second of it

a6934ef4-c799-7420.jpg

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Cold makes the 113 mph look even worse. A blown car with cold air running 6 mph slower than manufacturer claim? I can buy getting a shitty ET but it makes no sense that the car runs weak trap speeds in cold weather. It's not like it makes enough power to be blasting off the tires at 100 mph.

Being that the DA was ~4500ft, do you think that somehow played into the trap speed? We can all poke holes in the correction factors that they may have used, so I just don't know. I wish they would just list the time they actually ran, instead of being very vague.

What I'm at a loss for is we all know what the CTSV runs, so how the hell is this car running slower, when it pretty much beats the V on paper in every area????

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Gtsparten check my post above about altitude and track times because I agree that it plays into effect as well.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Yea funny how the 4400 ft elv. didnt affect the GT-R much but took about 75hp+ from the ZL1. The need to run the ZL1 out east below sea level and see what happens. Not sure why they have not done it unless they dont want to know.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Gtsparten check my post above about altitude and track times because I agree that it plays into effect as well.

Just saw that now, thx. Not that the ZL1 will ever sniff 125, even with -1000DA, just maybe it could finally get near it's advertised ~120.

I guess they write these articles for the masses, just wish they would list actual times. It would clarify a lot things.

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
"but but but its not fair! the gtr costs more! Its to be expected to lose, its awesome that they compared it to the gtr, it says alot about the ZL1. The Zl1 is a better car and looks wayyy better than that rice!!! Camero for the win!. I can buy a ZL1 and an SS hahahaha I win":beer:

btw... this is bs! its a 2013 GTR! not fair. Why not wait til 2014 for the 2013 ZL1to be released so we can compare them...

"To show off the track-tuned capabilities of the ZL1, Chevrolet invited us to drive the car at Inde Motorsports Ranch outside of Tucson. Showing the utmost confidence in the car, they also said we could bring any competitor we wanted. When they saw Godzilla, they cringed." :(

hate to quote myself but I called it....

Post #33 over there a C5

Camaro ZL1 Review by Road & Track - Page 2 - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

This comparison is definately a win for the ZL1. The test was done at temperatures below what the ZL1 tires function, and the awd of the Nissan can easily compensate for the lack of tire grip. With this in mind, the Z had a remarkable showing.

In appearance, the Nissan looks too ricer. Visually the ZL1 is a win for its muscle look. The Nissan looks a bit like a bigger version of a RX-7 to me.

The test shows the ZL1 is way beyond its league in terms of performance and fun for the dollar. There is no way to say it other than the ZL1 is hands down a better car for the money than the GTR.

The GTR is a Corvette level competitor, and It is obvious that in warm weather the ZL1 would be a close competitor for the GTR on and off the track.
What I find more interesting, is that to find a car to compare to they had to go up a class to Corvette level cars. This tells me the ZL1 is the king of its own class, and would handily embarrass cars within its own field including the GT500.
After all ford had to scramble and throw 100 more hp at its GT500 for the upcoming model year, and it remains to be seen if that will even make a difference.

On top of that, V6's just don't sound right and part of my vehicle enjoyment comes from the sound of the exhaust note. In automobiles NOTHING beats a v8 for exhaust note.
If these cars were priced the same I'd still choose the ZL1 based on a variety of reasons important to me.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
This comparison is definately a win for the ZL1. The test was done at temperatures below what the ZL1 tires function, and the awd of the Nissan can easily compensate for the lack of tire grip. With this in mind, the Z had a remarkable showing.

In appearance, the Nissan looks too ricer. Visually the ZL1 is a win for its muscle look. The Nissan looks a bit like a bigger version of a RX-7 to me.

The test shows the ZL1 is way beyond its league in terms of performance and fun for the dollar. There is no way to say it other than the ZL1 is hands down a better car for the money than the GTR.

The GTR is a Corvette level competitor, and It is obvious that in warm weather the ZL1 would be a close competitor for the GTR on and off the track.
What I find more interesting, is that to find a car to compare to they had to go up a class to Corvette level cars. This tells me the ZL1 is the king of its own class, and would handily embarrass cars within its own field including the GT500.
After all ford had to scramble and throw 100 more hp at its GT500 for the upcoming model year, and it remains to be seen if that will even make a difference.

On top of that, V6's just don't sound right and part of my vehicle enjoyment comes from the sound of the exhaust note. In automobiles NOTHING beats a v8 for exhaust note.
If these cars were priced the same I'd still choose the ZL1 based on a variety of reasons important to me.

:lol: This guys never ends...

EDIT: 5.4ever beat me to it :beer:

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Right... Because 2.8 seconds is close since the roads are cold...

Um not to be a dick but I believe a gtr will have better lap times in better conditions as well. Seeing that it has 4 rubber tires as well, traction would improve for it if temperatures are better, no? Last I checked awd doesn't mean perfect traction all the time, it means optimal/most efficient traction given the conditions.

Anyone that's owned an awd car knows there's less grip on cold winter days than there is on hot summer days. This is why its easy to drift an awd car on cold 20* days and harder on warm 90* days.

It's not rocket science. It's basic physics. A cold but sticky object can't stick well to a cold surface. A hot sticky object like a tire can stick very well to a hot stretch of asphalt.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
They didn't take a gt500 because they wanted to put gm in there place and get them outta their hair.

I'd be annoyed too if I got this call every few hours:

"hey guys, we're the zl1 crew up at a high altitude track that we laid out to make our car seem awesome. Do you guys wanna bring a car by our track and challenge our zl1?"

"well we are really busy so no, not really."

"well you can bring any car you want, we really have the best thing since sliced bread"

"any car?"

"ya anything you'd like"

"ok we'll be there"

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Right... Because 2.8 seconds is close since the roads are cold...
The GTR would have beat the ZL1 (Even more, corrected by tt335ci03cobra on post #38 on this thread) if the Road and Track driver wouldn't have slammed on the brakes at point 5 on the chart. Shaun Bailey said this.. Inde Motorsports Ranch - Plotting the ZL1 vs GT-R Performance on the Inde Motorsports Race Track ? RoadandTrack.com - RoadandTrack.com
This point is a gut check—a 5-foot drop in the middle of a 100-mph kink. It highlights the benefits of PTM and MR on the ZL1, whose suspension soaked up the inside curbing and allowed the car to magically stick. It was more difficult to trust the GT-R, which felt like it would bottom its suspension. As a result, we backed off considerably through the dip. In this section the Camaro ZL1 is the clear winner.
camaro_zl1_vs_nissan_gtr_graph.jpg

The GTR dropped to about 92mph on that section, the Boss LS also dropped in the same section but only to about 99mph.
track-showdown-chart.jpg
The "drop" on the MT chart is midway between the two MPH peaks, the jagged drop in the yellow section...

Last edited:

xenodragon

Established Member
I dont see where the GTR lost? All I see is that camaro is more comfortable than the GTR.

I will take a GTR over that pos GM car anyday.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The GTR would have beat the ZL1 if the Road and Track driver wouldn't have slammed on the brakes at point 5 on the chart. The Shaun Bailey said this.. Inde Motorsports Ranch - Plotting the ZL1 vs GT-R Performance on the Inde Motorsports Race Track ? RoadandTrack.com - RoadandTrack.com
camaro_zl1_vs_nissan_gtr_graph.jpg

The GTR dropped to about 92mph on that section, the Boss LS also dropped in the same section but only to about 99mph.
track-showdown-chart.jpg
The "drop" on the MT chart is midway between the two MPH peaks, the jagged drop in the yellow section...

A, Phil the gtr beat the zl1 by 2.8 seconds on cold roads... On a warm day it's probably be a bigger gap. I'm confused, what do you think I was saying?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
[ame="http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199295"]Camaro ZL1 Review by Road & Track - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com[/ame]

The Camaro5 guys are really trying, its so funny.

Users who are viewing this thread