Road and Track ZL1 vs. GTR

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
The ZL1 ran a 1:43.3 at the Inde Ranch (modified 2.2 mile track), it ran a [email protected]/ 4.7 second 0-60...
2.84 seconds slower than the GTR on the track. Every review gets less impressive...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_UdQYLCNHA"]ZL1 vs. GT-R Showdown - YouTube[/nomedia]

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs. 2013 Nissan GT-R Premium Road Test ? RoadandTrack.com

Here is the actual track used in the test (Motor Trend used the wrong diagram). It is the fast variation of the 2.75 mile track... Notice the turns have been removed.
inde-motorsports-ranch.jpg

Last edited:

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
"but but but its not fair! the gtr costs more! Its to be expected to lose, its awesome that they compared it to the gtr, it says alot about the ZL1. The Zl1 is a better car and looks wayyy better than that rice!!! Camero for the win!. I can buy a ZL1 and an SS hahahaha I win":beer:

btw... this is bs! its a 2013 GTR! not fair. Why not wait til 2014 for the 2013 ZL1to be released so we can compare them...

"To show off the track-tuned capabilities of the ZL1, Chevrolet invited us to drive the car at Inde Motorsports Ranch outside of Tucson. Showing the utmost confidence in the car, they also said we could bring any competitor we wanted. When they saw Godzilla, they cringed." :(

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
****. YES. i'm SO excited to see the hipocrisy at camaro5!!! "but, they aren't even in the same class!" but the boss 302 sure the **** is:rollseyes

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
We still have no clue how good the ZL1 is because they continue to run at a location where most oem autos have not run. Why not run the 12 GT500 svt pack?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
That tests also points out something pretty obvious about how GM got a quick Ring time. When the magazine driver was showed by the GM development driver how to set the best lap time at Inde, it involved using the mag shocks to successfully cut corners everywhere running over the curbing. It's not like that's a secret, but over the course of 14 miles, there's no question they were running "Gran Turismo" video game style and just shortening the course as much as possible, wheels on track or not.

Good for marketing, probably not something any customers would be excited to do.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
this is hilarious....if road and track has balls they would have brought out a 12' GT500 svtpp...though they went with the new GTR to straight up embarrass chevy. anyway those strip times are god awful slow....even i can run close to that in my current car. also i saw the ring video of the ZL1, i was scared watching it because they kept cutting the corners so hard....oh man this is getting better and better. Cant wait to see the official mag tests of the 2013 gt500

Kewlv8

Established Member
That is just painful. 12.9@113 in a 580 hp car? Ugh.

Wow, less impressed by the ZL1 each day. It's a good package, but seems on par with the 2012 GT500 [maybe?], which GM seems to be avoiding for reasons they only know. Thus, the release party of the ZL1 is pretty ho-hum.... "been there, done that" :sleeping:.

The real party will be when the 2013 GT500 hits the streets.....:rockon:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
We still have no clue how good the ZL1 is because they continue to run at a location where most oem autos have not run. Why not run the 12 GT500 svt pack?
The track configuration Team Camaro chose to run is NOT a listed Inde configuration. Inde Motorsports Ranch - Willcox Arizona

Team Camaro decide to eliminate at least 8 turns to my eye and create 3 additional straights. You will never see another lap time with the 2.2 mile configuration because there is NO 2.2 mile Inde configuration. They will not be able to accomplish this magic trick at a majority of other tracks in the US... Why build a track car and then eliminate pieces of the track?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
When the magazine driver was showed by the GM development driver how to set the best lap time at Inde, it involved using the mag shocks to successfully cut corners everywhere running over the curbing.
Good call, Randy said this when driving the Boss. Braking and Lap Times - 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca - Motor Trend
With the suspension so stiff, a decent amount of the motion is transferred into the body. "I could feel a long frequency vibration or shudder over the washboards in the front stretch. It was very noticeable, but doesn't shake it loose." Randy didn't feel the same way about curbs, however. "I hit one and stayed off them after. It popped the car loose and made it jump sideways."
The Ford rep suggested a setting of 5 both front and rear... maybe a little play would allow for some play in the suspension.
Ford recommended using a setting of 5 or full stiff, both front and rear. On the smooth sections of the track, the stiff damping worked fairly well for the Boss, delivering slight understeer in braking and neutral throttle. When picking up the throttle, the live-axle was surprisingly planted, but still allowed a bit of right-foot steering.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member

beave

Established Member
I just dont know what these drivers are doing so wrong in this car. I know several people that have gone quicker in th 1/4 in stock SS camaros.

PaulVincent

Established Member
As for the 12.9 at 113 mph, is it possible that the ZL1's wheel hp is a lot less than 580 flywheel hp would lead us to believe that it is?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

Did you notice the disclaimer about the weather in this PDF?

Said traction was hit or miss with the ZL1 due to frigid temperatures. Would they please bring this gash damn car down to sea level and test it at the 1/4 mile. I'm tired of the excuses and want to see real number that an excuse can't be made about. Then I can drive the fact home that Camaro lovers (and AL Op.) need to shut it, their car is NOTHING like described.

I just dont know what these drivers are doing so wrong in this car. I know several people that have gone quicker in th 1/4 in stock SS camaros.

Welcome to the world of instant torque, where all cars learn fast that stock tires just aren't going to cut it. This is where I am laughing hysterically. Al Op. slammed the current GT500 about how bad it was due to no traction on a launch, yet the ZL1 suffers from the same issues. In your EYE Al. Op.!!!!

As for the 12.9 at 113 mph, is it possible that the ZL1's wheel hp is a lot less than 580 flywheel hp would lead us to believe that it is?

Who knows? The ZL1 will never be publicly dynoed until the first owners want to know, and take it themselves.

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
It could just be the weight man, and while I know some are going to chime in on the CTS-V's times... You have to take into consideration of the huge increases in rotational mass (drive shaft, TR6060's tailshaft, halfshafts, huge 20 inch wheels with huge 305 rubber and larger diameter wheel tire combo). The CTS-V had 3.73's on 285 19 inch Michelin with your standard shafts...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread