Road Course Videos: GT chasing Boss 302, GT chasing new Z28

dmichaels

Established Member
Nice runs! makes me want to get out there and do some HPDE events! I am hoping next year ill be able to borrow my dads American Iron(ish) spec car for a good amount of racing next year. He races american Iron when he can, but his car is too low on power and doesn't have an SLA setup yet to be truly competitive in his car. It is still plenty quick to put everyone on watch, but not enough to podium much.

I hate those summitomos. Had some on my daily many years ago and thought it was a waste of money even though they were dirt cheap. I totally understand using tires like that to save money though. They last many races vs. 1 or two weekends.

I've had good luck with the Sumi's - they chunk and squeal, but when they get warm they have pretty impressive grip. I think if I'd gone with wider fronts, I would have had a little better luck... the 255's up front really want to plow. Takes some careful throttle management to get the car more neutral. But cost wise, nothing else could touch these.

The HPDE's are a blast. No pressure, just out having fun

99arboC

Established Member
Nice runs!
What was or is the issue with the brakes?
My rear pads recently started to fall apart I replaced them and tonight my front brakes started making some crazy sounds. Only 7000 miles on the car.

dmichaels

Established Member
Nice runs!
My rear pads recently started to fall apart I replaced them and tonight my front brakes started making some crazy sounds. Only 7000 miles on the car.

I have a rear caliper that is not fully releasing, so it seems to be creating massive heat. I don't think I'm getting any boiled fluid up front now with the cooling, but the rear right specifically is causing problems. I have a new caliper arriving early next week and will be back on track with it on the 25th. The pads are fine but they are race pads...

Only track pads should make noise... what kind are you running?

LS2GTO

Established Member
Was this an open track day or something? Or part of a club that rented the place out?

I've wanted to get into roadcoursing and was excited when this place opened up so close to me.

99arboC

Established Member
I have a rear caliper that is not fully releasing, so it seems to be creating massive heat. I don't think I'm getting any boiled fluid up front now with the cooling, but the rear right specifically is causing problems. I have a new caliper arriving early next week and will be back on track with it on the 25th. The pads are fine but they are race pads...

Only track pads should make noise... what kind are you running?

I replaced the back with hawk ceramic pads. The front are factory stock pads. Gonna pull the tires today and take a look at the front pads that is where it seem to be coming from last night.

dmichaels

Established Member
Was this an open track day or something? Or part of a club that rented the place out?

I've wanted to get into roadcoursing and was excited when this place opened up so close to me.

Club day - but open to basically anyone. There are a number of groups that do track days at Thompson (and others). Check out Motorsportreg.com to look for local events. Feel free to PM me as well if you want some more info!!

dmichaels

Established Member
Nice runs!

I replaced my suspected "bad" rear caliper - the sound went away, the bad fading went away, and both rear brakes were roughly the same temp after each session last week. So I'm happy that issue is resolved.

Now onto fixing my weeping front brake bleeders...

Also should note that the excessive rear pad wear seems to be a lot better now. I think the Raybestos ST43 rears are holding up better than my Pagids were, but I need to get some more time on them.

Users who are viewing this thread