Road Course Videos: GT chasing Boss 302, GT chasing new Z28

dmichaels

Established Member
Fun outing at Thompson yesterday with the Audi club. Ran my personal best at this particular track. Getting quicker, one outing at a time. I think I ALMOST have my braking issues sorted as well...

Do me a huge favor and click the advertisement as it takes like 3 seconds and puts a little money in my pocket to feed my track addiction :)

Chasing John in his well driven Boss 302 Laguna Seca:
[video=youtube_share;B9Gq_hkvnVE]http://youtu.be/B9Gq_hkvnVE[/video]

Chasing a Z28 (also very well driven)
[video=youtube_share;Q_uq7SKUE7Y]http://youtu.be/Q_uq7SKUE7Y[/video]

And my personal best lap:
[video=youtube_share;TNjv82dYjP8]http://youtu.be/TNjv82dYjP8[/video]

oldmodman

Established Member
Nice afternoon out. And that track doesn't look very crowded at all.

Your car sure sound to be running well too.:thumbsup:

dmichaels

Established Member
Run group was about 20 cars and almost all were very quick, running within a couple seconds, so no trains at all for the most part.

dmichaels

Established Member
What app or program is that, that you are using as an overlay in the video?

Harry's Lap Timer Pro app on my iphone 4S. It is linked with the GoPoint BT1 OBDII interface (bluetooth connection to the phone) for all the additional data. Best data acquisition system I could afford. Works really well though. Actually really useful for assessing laps

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Well done. We dont see enough road racing video's around here!

What size and kind of tire's were you running? From the sounds its definitely a street tire. A singing tire is a happy tire!

dmichaels

Established Member
Yes street tires. Track wheels currently have sumitomo htr z III with 275/40/18 rear and 255/40/18 fronts. They are 300 treadwear. Have 835 track miles this year and are about 50% worn. What I give up in grip I gain in longevity of the tires. Next season will bring the Hoosiers or similar tho.

dmichaels

Established Member
Damn you did a good job OP, thought that z28 would disappear quick but didnt.

Thanks - the car definitely left me behind, but it was just a little bit in each corner and a little bit on the straights. It was great to see a Z28 out there being driven the way it was designed to be, and felt great to (sort of) keep pace.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
I would move up to an RE-11 before diving right into a Hoosier. Slicks have a tough threshold to predict when cold and not thoroughly warmed up.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Also might want to consider a squared setup from what I've read. I run 285/35/19's squared and it should give better balance in the corners than staggered.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Tires, tires, tires.
Some hoosier R6 would give you better grip than the z28 on trofeo R's. I would go with the same width as the z28 too, 305 square setup.

OP, have you taken out the spares, passenger seats?
I;ve been to the track with KILR SVT and his base model brembo 5.0 flies! There are used two piece 14" rotors for sale in the used section.

tjhinker

Established Member
Will any bluetooth OBDII communicate with the Harry's Lap Timer Pro app or does it have to be the GoPoint BT1 OBDII?

MFE

Established Member
Nice smooth running. But man, it looks like you ride those brakes deep into the turns! Are you on the ABS on turn-in? Personally I would try moving your braking points back 10 feet and then transitioning out of the brakes earlier/smoother on turn-in, it might make you faster on exit, and end up being a little easier on brakes.

dmichaels

Established Member
I've driven slicks before - agree they have far less warning prior to slipping. Probably took to go with R6's next year

I'm usually not engaging abs at turn in but I'm still trail braking. Not to make excuses but I was boiling fluid in the right rear caliper as it was sticking all day so I lost heel-toe ability mid session everytime out as pedal travel got long. With the pedal firm the car is slowed much better and i enter corners a touch slower to support smoother apex and exit. New caliper arrives next week to hopefully fix the issue....

I believe other OBDII devices work. But I can't vouch for anything besides the gopoint as that's all I've used.

dmichaels

Established Member
Tires, tires, tires.
Some hoosier R6 would give you better grip than the z28 on trofeo R's. I would go with the same width as the z28 too, 305 square setup.

OP, have you taken out the spares, passenger seats?
I;ve been to the track with KILR SVT and his base model brembo 5.0 flies! There are used two piece 14" rotors for sale in the used section.

I have not taken out the passenger seat or done any significant weight reduction. Yet. But trunk and interior are emptied prior to every event. Looking to do a cage with 6-pt harnesses and rear seat delete over the winter. Safety first!

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I approve of this thread, good stuff. Nice driving

I have a few friends who have ran at the new Thompson course, have good things to say about it

dmichaels

Established Member
I approve of this thread, good stuff. Nice driving

I have a few friends who have ran at the new Thompson course, have good things to say about it

It's a fun course. Took a little time to be the rhythm but I like it. And it's quite close to me which helps too!!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Nice runs! makes me want to get out there and do some HPDE events! I am hoping next year ill be able to borrow my dads American Iron(ish) spec car for a good amount of racing next year. He races american Iron when he can, but his car is too low on power and doesn't have an SLA setup yet to be truly competitive in his car. It is still plenty quick to put everyone on watch, but not enough to podium much.

I hate those summitomos. Had some on my daily many years ago and thought it was a waste of money even though they were dirt cheap. I totally understand using tires like that to save money though. They last many races vs. 1 or two weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread