Road & Track: Flat Crank 600hp 5.4 NA GT350

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
If they go T56, I'll have one as soon as they come out! I know the auto is faster, there's no doubt about it. If i was buying it just for racing I'd get the auto, but my car see's the street 99.99% of the time, and I want to be able to enjoy driving it and rowing the gears.

If it's meant as a road racing beast, the auto would be worthless (unless they do a flappy paddle manumatic). Besides, since when is a slush box faster? Quite a few of the NHRA stock and super stock record holders are stick cars and/or the stick cars are weight penalized to equalize the class.

Back to the believability of the claims in R&T, I'd be most surprised by a 350 hp EB 2.3. The current 2.0 only makes a tinge over 250 hp in the ST, and the 3.5 only makes 365. There's no way a factory 2.3L EB four will make 350. 315 MAYBE!

As for the nearly 600 hp NA 5.4, I would be more skeptical if it wasn't for SVT shocking me with their existing Mustang. I could see the GT350 easily settling in the 525-565 hp range. 315-450-565, that's a good model spread...

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
If its going to sound less like a mustang thats a major no-no to me. But the other benefits of an engine like that along with a lighter better handling chasis could be very popular and successful.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
If it's meant as a road racing beast, the auto would be worthless (unless they do a flappy paddle manumatic). Besides, since when is a slush box faster? Quite a few of the NHRA stock and super stock record holders are stick cars and/or the stick cars are weight penalized to equalize the class.

Back to the believability of the claims in R&T, I'd be most surprised by a 350 hp EB 2.3. The current 2.0 only makes a tinge over 250 hp in the ST, and the 3.5 only makes 365. There's no way a factory 2.3L EB four will make 350. 315 MAYBE!

As for the nearly 600 hp NA 5.4, I would be more skeptical if it wasn't for SVT shocking me with their existing Mustang. I could see the GT350 easily settling in the 525-565 hp range. 315-450-565, that's a good model spread...

The 2014/15 Focus RS in Europe will have a 350 hp 2.3 L Ecoboost engine. That is why they are reporting the 15 mustang will have 350 hp in the ecoboost I4, because it is going to use the Focus RS engine. The 2.3L is not a stroked 2.0. It shares no characteristics with the 2.0 ecoboost in the Focus ST. Its a much stronger, more efficient and much more powerful engine.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
While neat, I am more in favor of a forced induction car. A stock gt500 isn't all of that impressive, but we love them because they fly with simple mods.

Dave_6

Established Member
I got this issue the other day and I got terribly excited when I read this. Hopefully it turns out to be true!

blackvette101

Established Member
How much does the NA cobrajet make. That seems like alot especially since it would only need 550 to put a spanking on the Z28. Wouldn't it require a lot of stroke to get 5.4 out of a coyote. that would definitely hurt ability to rev. 600 all motor has been done with a 5.0 so an extra 400cc should definitly tame the cams enough to pass for a hi-po stock model especially with VVT and direct injection.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
The new Mercedes cls45 amg has a 2 liter with 350 or 365 hp, so it's possible.

It is also turbocharged.
110 hp per liter naturally aspirated is possible, but typically calls for a high revving motor with a soft bottom end.

paynecasey

Established Member
While neat, I am more in favor of a forced induction car. A stock gt500 isn't all of that impressive, but we love them because they fly with simple mods.

Not all that impressive? You do know the current GT500 is the highest hp V8 in a production vehicle?

Though I'd rather have a Boss hands down it sounds like your GT500 has made you desensitized.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
One article says 600 HP na... Another says the 15 will shed 400lbs too..... Sounds like the info being leaked out is pie in the sky dreams imo!!

04svtsnke

Established Member

Mercedes's 4 cylinder in their amg cla45 makes 350/330 with direct injection, a built factory motor, and a fairly big twin scroll manifold/ turbo..........at 26psi. Anything is possible and I'm sure ford can work things out.

RTD

Established Member
One article says 600 HP na... Another says the 15 will shed 400lbs too..... Sounds like the info being leaked out is pie in the sky dreams imo!!

If Ford produces a 3200 lb Mustang with a 550-600 hp NA Coyote for under $60k, I'd trade in the Boss in a heartbeat.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
A 180 crank will sound sick as well! It won't sound like any Mustang ever before, which will be pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread