Road Trip Suggestions, Houston to PA Via the Coasts

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
So in March I am flying into Houston to pick up a car I bought and drive it back to PA.
I want to go along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts on the way back and I'm looking for suggestions for places to stop over night.
You guys are always great for your varied opinions, your "must see's" and your "don't go there that place is a".

I'm probably going to skip New Orleans, but how is Gulfport?
I know I want to go through the panhandle and will stay in Savannah and Myrtle Beach for a night.
Then from there I'll make one stop between MB and where I live as its a 10-11 hour drive. Maybe Williamsburg VA?

The wife and I aren't big partiers at our age. We like nice scenic waterfront areas that you don't have to wear a mask or worry about getting car jacked. I'm looking to do about 300-400 miles a day.

Oh and where's a good place to eat on the West of Houston near Katy? I'm spending 2 nights there.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just got back from Savannah a couple of weeks ago. We stayed at the Marriott on the Riverfront.

HERE

Gorgeous hotel and views.

EDIT: Depending on if you want some cool shots with your car on the way back, swing through Wormsloe Historic site while you're in Savannah. Super cool place for photos.

GettyImages-1133803184-1024x683.jpg

Morgan

Established Member
This would be a great experience and the location is directly in your area.

Deferring to folks from west Houston for recommendations, but you must hit a bbq joint.

tistan

Established Member
This would be a great experience and the location is directly in your area.

Deferring to folks from west Houston for recommendations, but you must hit a bbq joint.
My buddy took me there when I was in Houston. That food was phenomenal.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Nick that is a great place for a shot.

The salesman recommend Taste of Texas. Sounds like I need to check out the menu.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Anywhere on 30A through the panhandle of Florida, we're headed to Rosemary beach in May and have heard nothing but good things about the whole area.

Not sure where you're headed to in PA but i'd swing out through Deep Creek lake to avoid the Baltimore/DC area at any cost.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Anywhere on 30A through the panhandle of Florida, we're headed to Rosemary beach in May and have heard nothing but good things about the whole area.

Not sure where you're headed to in PA but i'd swing out through Deep Creek lake to avoid the Baltimore/DC area at any cost.

We were looking 30A and thinking about landing in Eastport or Panama City. From there we'll shoot North to Savannah.
Savannah is great. You couldn't pay me to go back to Myrtle Beach, it was certainly rough.

Everybody keeps telling me Savannah is a great place. As for Myrtle Beach I have family in Surfside Beach so it's a must stop.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I used to live in Pensacola. Beautiful beaches. Hit St. Augustine too. Those are the two oldest cities in the country as well.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'll probably drive through Pensacola and take RT.98 along the coast and stay somewhere between Panama city and Tallahassee. From there I'm think I'll either stop in Brunswick and do lunch in Savannah or drive straight through to Savannah.

I hate doing interstates and I'm worried about road rash and other tomfoolery but I only have a week to get back home. I also hate driving through VA but it's necessary if I'm doing the coast.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
While in houston go to Goode company bbq the original in the village on Kirby. make sure you to get a slice of pecan pie some of the best pie you’ll ever eat. Or and the barbecue not bad either.

Blown38

Established Member
Well then you should cut back NW at Savannah and hit the Tail of the Dragon with the Porsche if you've never been there.

Nanner

Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure if they have availability or not, but The Sanctuary at Kiawah, then visit my town of Charleston. PM me if you want to learn more.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Have you ever been to Myrtle Beach? If so, its changed a lot in the last few years. Pretty run down, lots of crime, way too many drunks.
I would seriously look into Oak Island, Wrightsville Beach, Pawleys Island or OBX if you are looking for a more laid back beach atmosphere.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Have you ever been to Myrtle Beach? If so, its changed a lot in the last few years. Pretty run down, lots of crime, way too many drunks.
I would seriously look into Oak Island, Wrightsville Beach, Pawleys Island or OBX if you are looking for a more laid back beach atmosphere.

I was there last year. I didn't experience any of that thankfully. But I stayed mostly around Surfside.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I10 is fast but a horrible boring drive. (I know as I have sons 5 hours apart on this stretch.) From Orange Beach to Apalachicola is gorgeous, but it will be a long slow trip. With that car, I would take a mountain route home as the scenery is always changing and the drive is more challenging. Now I can help you with that trip!

Congrats! Enjoy your planning!

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I10 is fast but a horrible boring drive. (I know as I have sons 5 hours apart on this stretch.) From Orange Beach to Apalachicola is gorgeous, but it will be a long slow trip. With that car, I would take a mountain route home as the scenery is always changing and the drive is more challenging. Now I can help you with that trip!

Congrats! Enjoy your planning!

Some of the best roads I've been on were in WV. We did the mountain trip last year. Went across northern GA, AL, TN, KY, & WV. Unfortunately it was in our F-150 so not as fun.
We figured we'd take the coastal route this time. But boy do I hate interstate driving. I also don't want to end up in some seedy areas. I'm still looking for somewhere to stay between Houston and FL, and Myrtle Beach and home.

Users who are viewing this thread