robs custom 3' exaust

coleman

Established Member
you know. i wish we could program these damn chips ourselves!
i mean, geez, didn't we buy them or what?

program, verify, swap!

can't be any more complicated than updating ones BIOS.

i guess i'm off to the dyno tomorrow for a before snapshot ... or maybe i should wait until i get my 74.0" belt, first... :gt:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
You shouldn't need a chip for standard stuff like cai and exhaust. This car runs pig rich 10:1 stock a chip will only be required if you put on major power adders like a pulley. I am not a fan of chip in a box anyway if I am getting a chip I want it custom burned for my car because every car is different. Most tuners are currently burning there chips conservative for this car because they don't want to blow anything up and I agree with that method. I don't need 5 rwhp in the risk of blowing my engine up. Coleman if you are having a dyno done do they 02 it if so that will tell you if you need your chip changed. Something else not said much is chipping will also increase your mpg if done right.

Coleman that is what mafterburn is for so you can change your own parameters. Also do you have that location?

btw, I am not going to use my cats until either Ford fixes this rich condition or I chip my car. I don't feel like screwing them up for nothing.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I don't have any exhaust on my car now and just received mine about an hour ago. My wife is home so I can't work on it have to wait until tomorrow to finish.

coleman

Established Member
i won't be able to get mine installed -- or at least attempt an install until, this weekend! :(

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Something else I wanted to add. This really is a nice system and looks good. The funny thing is you can see through the cats, not object but if you hold it to the light you see the pipe on the other side and the light shining through. The clamps and tips are also top quality.

Coleman and anybody else. For this kit you need Red High Temperature RTV and a swivel adaptor for your ratchet to get the lower bolt on the passenger side header off. The bolts on the headers on mine were unreal hard to get off. I am no small guy and I couldn't get them to budge and thought either the socket or bolt was going to break any second. I stopped and decided to spray it with WD-40 let them sit for around 10 minutes then they came off no problem.

I will have mine on tomorrow and will report how they sound afterwards.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u

thank you, sir.... :beer:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u

Thanks, toofast. I'm sure quite a few of us are looking forward to your report. Hopefully with sound and/or video clips...? :burnout: :rolling:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
Thanks, toofast. I'm sure quite a few of us are looking forward to your report. Hopefully with sound and/or video clips...? :burnout: :rolling:

I won't have video, but I will definitely try to have sound. I am not sure if I am going to put the cats in at first or not.

I do have to say this is a solid looking system and if it performs as well as it looks I will be impressed.

btw, I did get instructions with mine. It was only a page, but it goes over what it has to.

OneSVTFan

Established Member
Toofast4u, if you are able to give feedback on the install and sound clips before Friday sure would be appreciated by all of us waiting to place order. Would like to hear your comments on how well the system fits, especially under the IRL and does it appear to hang lower than stock.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I actually just finished installing it and will detail more later tonight. When I finish making sure I don't have leaks I am going to go out and when I return I will make some sound clips. The major problem I had was I can't get the cats to fit. I was screwing with it for about 2 hours and finally gave up and used the off-roads and they went in easy. It looks like the cats are approx. 1 " to long to get everything else together right might have to take a sawza to the down pipe to get it to fit. The car sounds neat I don't want to post sounds yet because it is still burning in, I just did a smoke show down the street testing for leaks now it is cooling down so I can fix the ones I found.

2k3biz

TCB'n like a mad man
Established Member
Does anyone know if these cats have a CARB number that comes with them??
I'm just assuming that they are legal and will pass the sniffer, but i'd hate to find out differently?
:)

matt lankford

all is sold
i was planning on doing this myself but now i think i wont. how many leaks did you find and how did you find them. aldo how did you go catless without the special sims?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by lotsafastrides
i was planning on doing this myself but now i think i wont. how many leaks did you find and how did you find them. aldo how did you go catless without the special sims?

There were a couple, but it was because were I put the clamp I put it at the edge and it should be at the back of the slits. I just redid all the clamps and am going to test it now. I had purchased the MIL eliminators from Dallas Mustang anyway. This is really a nice system and if feels solid clamped up. The only problem is the damn cats.

coleman

Established Member
Rob, I know these Random Technology cats aren't the ones you originaly planed on packaging with our exhausts... so, are there size differences?

I don't have MIL/O2 eliminators/simulators, so I should run w/o CATs ... now, I don't even know if I should start installing mine until I know the CATs will fit.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by 2k3biz
Does anyone know if these cats have a CARB number that comes with them??
I'm just assuming that they are legal and will pass the sniffer, but i'd hate to find out differently?
:)

I just checked the units and there is nothing printed on them other then a sticker that says Random Technologies, like that would last long.

They did come with the attached card

haskett

Established Member
toofast4u- Thanks for keeping us updated. Can you tell us about drone at varying rpm's/speed ? I'm assuming that drone will be reduced with the cat's ...

Users who are viewing this thread