Rock chip in windshield

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I drove down to Florida this last weekend and got a small rock chip in my windshield. I heard it hit the windshield, and thankfully it didn't hit anywhere else on the car. The chip also has a very small crack with it, a little spider crack on two sides. I guess I can take it to glass pro or whatever and they will repair the crack but my question is... has anyone had this done? Does it look decent or should I just leave it till the crack spreads and I can get the whole windshield replaced. If they have to replace the whole windshield it will be at no cost to me. I'm guessing if I have the chip repaired it will cost me money, which is fine I have no problem with that. I just want to know if its worth it and are the results pretty good?
Thanks for any replies

BlueOvalRapture

Established Member
I think most of the repair companies bill the insurance companies for the chip repair too. The insurance company would rather pay 50 to fix the chip then 400 for new glass

I personally have never had it done so I wont speak as to the appearance of the resin

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member
I would have the glass company fill it, after its completed you can hardly notice it. Worst case scenario, if the fill doesn't take then you can have the windshield replaced. I had my windshield replaced on my Expedition and the weatherstrip never sat back correctly in place. I recently had a chip on my windshield filled on my work van and it came out nice. The chip was the size of a quarter.

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
Check with your insurance policy as to what their procedure is on glass. I know in Florida insurance policies are required to replace glass for free if it is chipped or cracked.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Thanks for the replies! I'll stop by and have them look at it on Friday. I think my insurance company might be required to pay for a repair also... the glass place may have said something about whether or not they could fix my last windshield. I'm glad to hear it can look pretty good, it's not that the chip is all that bad I just rather it not be there. lol, if it was on my truck it'd be worth a shoulder shrug, but on the shelby it's a 'oh you gotta be kidding me!!'

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Really, replacing a front windshield is a last resort thing. A replacement never seats like the factory installed one.

Repair, and do it quick.

E

Users who are viewing this thread