Roll Cage and Sub frame connectors

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
In the near future I will be installing a 6 point cage and beefing up my sub frame connectors, in my 03 Vert. I didn't particularly want a convertible but I couldn't pass on the deal I got and I just want a nice rigid frame when it is all said and done. I am curious as to where I should put the jack stands under the car and how do I ensure that the body is sitting straight and level on a garage floor. I don't want to weld all of this in and have the body slightly distorted. Also, I have the IRS removed currently, Should I re-instal prior to welding. I wonder if the weight might have an effect on how the body sits when it is on jack stands.

I hope these arn't stupid questions but I'd rather ask and sound like an jack a$$ then regret it when it is all said and done.

Speed Demon

Established Member
Always weld subframe connecters in with the vehicle at rest on its wheels. If you weld them up with the vehicle on a lift or jack stands the body is pulling a little and wont be right when you put it back on its wheels.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
When i did mine, I put the car tires up on cinder block so weight was on wheels. Perfect height to get under there also. Just make sure you use jack stands slightly below frame it case blocks start to give.

DriRun

Established Member
Buy a couple pieces of wood. Get a few 8" wide boards that you can cut into 1 foot(ish) sections and screwing them together. Basically the same idea as above with the cinder blocks. Or go buy some metal ramps that you can drive on. Should give you adaquent space to work.

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
So putting jack stands under the A arms after I install the IRS will work.

Anything else I should know before I start doing (for the most part) irreversible modifications?

Last edited:

03cobrah

Established Member
what roll cage are you planning on going with? a custom built one? mind if i ask what you're doing with your IRS are you adding different bushings?

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
what roll cage are you planning on going with? a custom built one? mind if i ask what you're doing with your IRS are you adding different bushings?

This one with the diagonal brace.
Drag Race: 6-point, swing-out door bars, fixed harness mount [MMRB-15] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

I have the IRS out because I have the full kit coming from Fulltiltboogieracing.com

Cherry Point ehh? I spent 15 years in New Bern. Still have a lot of family there

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
Well today I got the cage and the sub frame connecters along with a new mig welder and after tomorrow I should have some gas. Here are a couple of pictures of my little mock up. What do you guys think I should do with my CDC Light bar? I had hoped the cage would fit under the bar so that I could cut inside the light bar and slide it over the cage.
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

mustang john

Established Member
You want to make it even more ridged? Since your doing subframe connectors as well as the 6pt bar you could add two kickers off the main hoop and put them thru the floor and anchor them to your subframe connectors. The MM full length connectors even have a reinforced pad on them for exactly that. It wouldnt take much more work and would tie everything together nicely. I did this on my Cobra and it turned out great!

Last edited:

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
You want to make it even more ridged? Since your doing subframe connectors as well as the 6pt bar you could add two kickers off the main hoop and put them thru the floor and anchor them to your subframe connectors. The MM full length connectors even have a reinforced pad on them for exactly that. It wouldnt take much more work and would tie everything together nicely. I did this on my Cobra and it turned out great!

got pictures?

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
Looking good. :beer:
+1 for connecting the cage to the subframe, that'll definitely make a noticeable difference. As far as the light bar, you could always sell it.... To me :beer:

Anabolic

Banned
if you have some spare wheels or somthing laying around, jack the car up and let it rest on them to gain an extra foot or so then weld em up if you don't have access to a lift

stolher

Live Free
Established Member

Thanks Where do you pick up some spare round tubing?

Looking good. :beer:
+1 for connecting the cage to the subframe, that'll definitely make a noticeable difference. As far as the light bar, you could always sell it.... To me :beer:

Shoot me a PM if you want it

I suck at posting pics here, shoot me your email and i can send a ton of them to you tonight.

Done!

if you have some spare wheels or somthing laying around, jack the car up and let it rest on them to gain an extra foot or so then weld em up if you don't have access to a lift

I've got her up about a foot. I don't really trust the old jack stands on steel wheels thing.

Thanks for the comments guys!

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Thanks Where do you pick up some spare round tubing?

That's not my car. I just have this page bookmarked as a good cheap way to incorporate a bolt-in cage to the subframes. Spare tubing should be pretty easy to come by. Just check Google or the yellow pages for steel suppliers in your area.

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
The time has come for me to weld in the two rear bars. I am a little nervous because the instructions say it must be over a 30 degree angle. The picture has it right at 30 degrees but I have mine set in at 60 degrees

Whatcha think
1575ef71.jpg

2473efa7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread