roush stage 2

cobrkilrl

Established Member
ok guy's, i need your help. i know this is not a cobra but the most knowlegable people concerning mustangs seem to be on this forum..please help. I bought a 2003 mustang gt roush stage 2 with only 5900 miles on it from a ford dealer. have dealt with these people in past and have no complaints. the guy that owned it traded it in on another mustang, gt500 i think. anyway, this car did not see much driving time and mainly sat in his garage under cover. to be a roush 2, this thing is in perfect condition. my qustion is when i am cruising at 60 to 75 miles an hour, i get a loud noise from what i think is in the rear end. wish is could describe it but can't come up with a word for it. kind of like a "roar" sound if that truely is a sound. it has 10.5in roush wheels with 295-35-18 bf tires in excellent condition. there are no leaks from axle or gear housing. trans fluid is full and it shifts without problems. the sound is more prevalent when letting out of throtle than when excelerating. would like some ideas before i take to the ford dealer for an a*s raping. it does have a 6mo or 2000 mile warranty for now. any help would be greatly appreciated. my lightning is what it is today because of you guy's. thanks

cobrkilrl

Established Member
svt 4 me. could i have gear whine in such a low mileage car with no noticable problems other than the noise. could the size of the wheel and tire combo cause it or could i have a bad axle/gears?

SVT_4_me

Established Member
cobrkilrl said:
svt 4 me. could i have gear whine in such a low mileage car with no noticable problems other than the noise. could the size of the wheel and tire combo cause it or could i have a bad axle/gears?

well, does the stage 2 roush come with aftermarket gearing? if so it could have not been properly set up by roush. usually gear whine doesn't cause any problems it is just annoying. i am not sure though...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What is puzzling is that it sounds like you're saying the noise is only heard in the 60-70mph range. Most noises attributed to the rear end/differential vary with the speed of the vehicle.

It is remotely possible the noise is tire related. Maybe one of the wheels is not balanced properly or there is an issue with the tire. Remote. But sometimes a noise from the rear at high speeds can end up being a wheel/tire issue.

Was the car stored for a long period of time without being driven? Could one or more of the tires be flat-spotted? Long shot at best. Hard to diagnose sounds without actually being in the car.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
CobraBob said:
What is puzzling is that it sounds like you're saying the noise is only heard in the 60-70mph range. Most noises attributed to the rear end/differential vary with the speed of the vehicle.

It is remotely possible the noise is tire related. Maybe one of the wheels is not balanced properly or there is an issue with the tire. Remote. But sometimes a noise from the rear at high speeds can end up being a wheel/tire issue.

Was the car stored for a long period of time without being driven? Could one or more of the tires be flat-spotted? Long shot at best. Hard to diagnose sounds without actually being in the car.

I was thinking the same thing, but I think that it would be a noise that you would hear when the car's in motion period instead of just at 60-70mph; maybe more distinctly at 60-70mph, but not only at that mph. If you still have a warranty (which you should being as how the vehicle only has less than 6k miles on the clock) take it in for Ford to have them check out. They might be familiar with the issue being as how they see everything between common and rare problems with Ford vehicles.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
CobraBob said:

good point...

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
the only tire noisier than a bfg that ive run across is yokohama. i wouldnt wish bfg on anyone. try a tire with some quality. you get what you pay for with tires.

could be an outer axle bearing groaning or as was posted already, gear noise (unlikely)

sounds fine from here, though...:shrug:

cobrkilrl

Established Member
thanks guy's. i probably should just take to dealership and have mechanic ride with me to hear the noise. i just can't imagine a car with so few miles would be making noises from the diff. thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread