Roush TVS vs Hellion

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
Hi guys,

I'm considering one of those kits to put on my 2011 5.0. I was set on the Roush but I keep coming back to that turbo kit.

What do you guys think would be a better bet ? Which setup gets better times on the 1/4 mile ?

I live in country that is hot most of the time, so that should be taken into consideration too.

Let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions because I really wanna do it right this time.

Thanks in advance,

QTR

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Haven't used either but can say I've heard of a lot more problems concerning the Hellion kit than the Roush. Fitment and mass airflow sensor issues come to mind. Plus as mentioned in the other thread heat is going to be a major concern with a front mount air-to-air setup and doesn't look like there's much room for an intercooler fan.

Bullitt357

Established Member
Hellion, everyone and their sister has a supercharger. Hellion's turbo is not in the engine bay so there's no extra underhood heat and they supply a pretty big intercooler.

Waaaaayyyyyy more potential with a Hellion kit.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
I think a centri blower would be better for your environment. Procharger ftw.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I had the hellion kit. It sucked a bunch of ass. So many fitment issues and it would have been a nightmare trying to get the pipes not to rattle on the k member. Small intercooler too and that stupid oil pump rested right on the tie rod boot. I sold that and went with a Procharger. SOOOOO much happier. Screw being different, go with what is proven to work. You wont regret the roushcharger.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Hellion, everyone and their sister has a supercharger. Hellion's turbo is not in the engine bay so there's no extra underhood heat and they supply a pretty big intercooler.

Waaaaayyyyyy more potential with a Hellion kit.

Everyone and their sister has supercharger? :dw:

Odds are, over in Qatar he is not going to run into another VMP TVS.

Bullitt357

Established Member
Supercharger = less parts, less potential
Turbocharger = more parts, MUCH more potential
Pick your poison and enjoy!

From my understanding there are some fast cars over where the OP is located. I wouldn't be showing up to a gun fight with a knife.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Supercharger = less parts, less potential
Turbocharger = more parts, MUCH more potential

Not sure that matters since both are capable of much more HP than the stock engine can safely handle. What's the end goal here?

BV600

Established Member
Well if your in Qatar id go with a easy install kit. I wanted the hellion but being in germany support or help could be a little awkward because of time zones or getting parts if I needed something asap would take weeks. I went procharger Stage 2 D1SC that I got a stupid low deal on

twistedneck

Established Member
There are two guys on the BB who are making some very advanced turbo systems. The best cars in the world have turbos. Supers are great as well but if you want proof look at underground racing. $50 to $80 k gets you twin 76mm's and up to 1500 HP on race gas.

i think mmr has this down also..

for your situation in Qatar just use the water tank in trunk setup and forget the air / air. Look at both these turbo systems they use water tanks.. Air to air is awesome for weight but if there was not a weight penalty we'd all go air / water, less lag, better IAT's, cars too light in the back anyway.. much more time at Wot before it gets too hot. just make sure to get the new borg warner or garrett gtx turbos that have both oil and water feed.

can you get E85? that also helps cooling, along with methanol with water mini pump injection setup. that would be the 'coolest' system possible and it will not heat soak like an SC thats bolted to the very hot engine block or heads..

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Supercharger = less parts, less potentialTurbocharger = more parts, MUCH more potential
Pick your poison and enjoy!

From my understanding there are some fast cars over where the OP is located. I wouldn't be showing up to a gun fight with a knife.

:shrug:

Rebecca has gone 9'.80's in her DD TVS Auto 5.0 on the stock bottom end.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Instead of just saying screw that, get this or I don't own both but go this way..... I'm going to give my actual honest opinion seeing how we have installed both numerous times and seen GREAT results with both.

Roushcharger:

Being a root style system, you will deff see instant torque out of the whole. With the correct fuel upgrade (min a BAP), CAI, and proper tune (most shops can tune for this) you will see low to mid 600s at around 10lbs of boost. I WOULD NOT push more then that on your stock motor.

Now, being where you are and I actually know how the hot air can affect everything (Kuwait and Iraq) A air-to-water will actually hurt you. Leave a water bottle outside for 30mins, see how hot it gets. Now image that with the engine temps also working against the temp outside. Between those 2 and the blower, talk about heat soak. Okay, so you upgrade to a ice box to keep the AIT's down. Smart and will deff help. Your downfall: same issue with heat soak after awhile.

People forget how the air is in the middle east. Simple, it's freaking hot! Every time you go outside, it feels like you put your head in an oven.

Hellion:

Now, with the turbo. Lets put some rumors to rest:

The intercooler... yes it is small and not in the best location.... BUT we have made and seen over 700rwhp on that set up.

Tuning.... We hands down have that packed and works. We have tuned numerous hellion cars all over 600rwhp safely and daily driven. We have had cars come to us from other tuners who simply don't like tuning or working on turbos. (where the tuning rumors usually start) I can name at least 5 cars alone on this forum we have helped get it fixed and love the results.

Piping hitting the k member..... if the parts are installed correctly, (not tightened right away) you will not have this issue. I know many people who installed this kit in their garage on jack stands. Tire doesn't hit turbo, piping lines up, no rattleing. We have done so many that I can have one installed in like 4hrs by myself now.

Oil pump.... okay yes its not great but it works. We have not seen one go on any car we have installed it on.

Now, with the turbo system, correct fuel upgrade (min a BAP and larger injector. we like using 52s) on the basic hellion system with a 67 precision, we have also seen 600-650rwhp safely and daily driven.

So it comes down to this, you will see the same max power with either system. 600rwhp range is a lot of fun when its a safe tune. This is off data I have seen personally with installs, testing, driving, ect. I also love both systems. Instant power from the TVS, the sound, the gains. 3500rpms, turbo is at full boost and your torque gains will make you walk by the component.

If you want to compare the basics too. You have free horsepower vs belt driven. You have instant boost that builds up the rpms vs a solid full boost over 3500rpms.

Again I will say.. I LOVE BOTH SYSTEMS. Both make great power with the same on basic add-ons.

My opinion on this is I will neither say do this or do that. Just giving my opinion based off working with and on both systems. But, it all comes down to the type of driving and goals with the car.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't know if it would work along with a positive displacement blower but think a methanal/water injection kit is good insurance with the turbo. I have a Snow kit for my SVO and have been happy with it. You do need to tweak the tune for it though.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Instead of just saying screw that, get this or I don't own both but go this way..... I'm going to give my actual honest opinion seeing how we have installed both numerous times and seen GREAT results with both.

Roushcharger:

Being a root style system, you will deff see instant torque out of the whole. With the correct fuel upgrade (min a BAP), CAI, and proper tune (most shops can tune for this) you will see low to mid 600s at around 10lbs of boost. I WOULD NOT push more then that on your stock motor.

Now, being where you are and I actually know how the hot air can affect everything (Kuwait and Iraq) A air-to-water will actually hurt you. Leave a water bottle outside for 30mins, see how hot it gets. Now image that with the engine temps also working against the temp outside. Between those 2 and the blower, talk about heat soak. Okay, so you upgrade to a ice box to keep the AIT's down. Smart and will deff help. Your downfall: same issue with heat soak after awhile.

People forget how the air is in the middle east. Simple, it's freaking hot! Every time you go outside, it feels like you put your head in an oven.

Hellion:

Now, with the turbo. Lets put some rumors to rest:

The intercooler... yes it is small and not in the best location.... BUT we have made and seen over 700rwhp on that set up.

Tuning.... We hands down have that packed and works. We have tuned numerous hellion cars all over 600rwhp safely and daily driven. We have had cars come to us from other tuners who simply don't like tuning or working on turbos. (where the tuning rumors usually start) I can name at least 5 cars alone on this forum we have helped get it fixed and love the results.

Piping hitting the k member..... if the parts are installed correctly, (not tightened right away) you will not have this issue. I know many people who installed this kit in their garage on jack stands. Tire doesn't hit turbo, piping lines up, no rattleing. We have done so many that I can have one installed in like 4hrs by myself now.

Oil pump.... okay yes its not great but it works. We have not seen one go on any car we have installed it on.

Now, with the turbo system, correct fuel upgrade (min a BAP and larger injector. we like using 52s) on the basic hellion system with a 67 precision, we have also seen 600-650rwhp safely and daily driven.

So it comes down to this, you will see the same max power with either system. 600rwhp range is a lot of fun when its a safe tune. This is off data I have seen personally with installs, testing, driving, ect. I also love both systems. Instant power from the TVS, the sound, the gains. 3500rpms, turbo is at full boost and your torque gains will make you walk by the component.

If you want to compare the basics too. You have free horsepower vs belt driven. You have instant boost that builds up the rpms vs a solid full boost over 3500rpms.

Again I will say.. I LOVE BOTH SYSTEMS. Both make great power with the same on basic add-ons.

My opinion on this is I will neither say do this or do that. Just giving my opinion based off working with and on both systems. But, it all comes down to the type of driving and goals with the car.

I hope this helps.

I beg to differ, it's pretty chilly out right now ;-) The summers are pretty hot though. Other than that, thanks for the great review Steve!

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
well duh lol That means the air to air will work better. lol

I'm personally ran both air to water with every add on you can get and i perfer air to air.

Users who are viewing this thread