Router after a switch?

20redfire03

Established Member
I have the WAP now but and I have added it to a port on the switch but I am not unable to access the WAP. I am given a default IP Address but I am unable to get to the screen. I can see the WAP on other computers and even connected with my cell phone, my bosses phone and his laptop. The directions say the IP address is 192.168.1.2 but on my phone I am getting 192.168.2.2. And even entering that I cannot get into the WAP. Any suggestions? I contacted the group that handles our tech stuff and they said:

The access point may be broadcasting a SSID, but it may have an IP address that is different than the local network. If that is the case, it will not function properly.

They suggested I do a reset and it did nothing.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
What kind of wap did you get? Maybe disconnect the wap from your network, do the reset again, leave the wap stand alone, wireless connect to the wap(or direct hard wire if you can) and then try the 192.168.1.2 and see if you can get the wap gui. Set it up as a bridge or whatever before you connect to your network? Maybe the default IP for the wap has already been assigned on your network and that's causing a conflict.

20redfire03

Established Member
I have brought the WAP home and its on a far simpler set up. All I have at home is modem/router combo from my internet company. Its even the same brand Zyxel. WAP3205v2 is the WAP model number. I can see the WAP under the network infrastructure but it wont provide an IP address under properties like it will for the modem/router.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
First thing I will say: Read The Manual.

:beer:

In all likelihood there is a basic 'first configuration steps' procedure you need to follow. It sounds like its just some simple IP address configuration that needs to be tweaked. You will also need to set up security on the device (change the default administrator password on the WAP, wifi password, etc).

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Just to see if any devices are conflicting you could try this

Unplug it from the network

Ping the IP address that it is set at.

Do you get any reply pings? If so, something on the network is using that IP. If the pings get dropped then the WAP should be the only device using that IP.

20redfire03

Established Member
Directions show to plug it and enter the IP address given. Ive tried different combos and gotten nothing. At work I was able to see the Cisco device and at home I can see my router even when connected through the WAP, its the same connection basically just not password protected. Even hardwired through the WAP gets me nothing.

20redfire03

Established Member
Just to see if any devices are conflicting you could try this

Unplug it from the network

Ping the IP address that it is set at.

Do you get any reply pings? If so, something on the network is using that IP. If the pings get dropped then the WAP should be the only device using that IP.

Hooked up and unhooked (power unplugged) all are dropped.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Try this - unplug the WAP from the network but keep the WAP powered on. Then plug into the WAP with a network cable on your computer so that your computer is only connected to the WAP.

Then try the instructions. You shouldn't need to restart your computer, but if it fails again, reboot your computer and try again.

I did a basic google search and this looks to be a fairly common problem and their directions aren't the best.

svtaddict

Established Member
i would reset my router at home and plug in only the computer then look at the routing table. then plug in the wap and see if it pops up. my guess is the wap is still being assigned an ip from the router bypassing the waps assigning capabilities. if you cant hook up to the wap wirelessly with it hooked up by itself just to power then try to factory reset it then try it. im sure theres more stuff you cant try but thats about all i got right now.

20redfire03

Established Member
I can see the WAP with it connected to the computer but still cant access it or see an IP address. I don't know whats up with it. I can try and set up a network through Windows and I enter the PIN on the bottom and it gives me a passcode but I don't think it did what I wanted.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
it sounds like you're trying to setup a homegroup with it with that pin #

they didn't send you a refurb that someone already configured did they?

Have you even found the GUI login page?

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Something that I would highly consider doing: Call Zyxell tech support. Most of these vendors offer free tech support for (at minimum) setup related questions. In the off-chance you have a bricked/malfunctioning unit they can diagnose and get you squared away or send a new one.

20redfire03

Established Member
I never was able to get to the GUI but I was able to set up something through Windows and make it require a password before signing on. At the moment I have plugged into a port in another room vs directly into the switch and it is working. I am going to try to run it through the switch itself shortly. Only issue might be is the signal is rather weak in the furthest office. Its losing half or more of its speed depending on the location of the box. But I am not even sure the more expensive AP would do any better despite saying it has a further range.

Users who are viewing this thread