Royal Purple HPS oil in your TERMINATOR?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey everyone, just curious if anyone has tried it yet on there terminator? I currently use mobil 1 5w30 extended performance. It would be nice to switch everything over to just one brand. I'll be switching to synchromax for the T56 and I already have RP in the differential.:beer:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I run RP syncromax in the tranny and RP in he diff. Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic in the engine. RP is just to expensive.....

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I'll only need to change oil once a year, so price isn't a big deal to me.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I run RP syncromax in the tranny and RP in he diff. Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic in the engine. RP is just to expensive.....

Local store availability is probably going to a while yet.

However these guys have it and check out the price!
Royal Purple 31530 Royal Purple HPS Street Motor Oil

HPS is formulated in between the old formula API-SL street oil and the XPR racing oil, yet is priced closer to the API street oils.

Which makes it a smoking deal!:rockon:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Is HPS the newest RP offering? I am assuming it is the best option made by them for our cars.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Is HPS the newest RP offering? I am assuming it is the best option made by them for our cars.

I think it's one of there newest thats just coming out. Think I may try there 5w30 version next time I change oil.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I run the normal RP in my DD. Just put RP gear oil in my diff while fixing a leak and will be swapping to RP syncroMAX over the winter and then change to RP HPS come spring.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Actually, now that I think about it, I have RP in all the non-normal changers. No noises here so I guess I like it!

1 Sic Svt

Yes It Is
Established Member
Had RP XPS then moved to RP Racing 41 - no problems but at 9 quarts it runs about $150 just for the oil. :burnout:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
For maximum performance and protection with a minimum of parasitic drag Royal Purple XPR 5W-20 (part #01011, quart bottle)(formerly Racing 11).
If you are racing in a class and want a light viscosity racing oil that will give you a competitive advantage even if your competition is also running a racing 20 weight oil. This is what you get that will still give you unparalleled protection and film strength with that ultra low parasitic drag.

A still viable 5W-20 with excellent but less than XPR protection and performance is our new HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle).

If you want to use a 20 weight oil because that is what Ford recommended for our cars due to CAFE, then at least upgrade your protection to a more appropriate level for these rather powerful supercharged engines and use one of the above choices.
The infamous Terminator tick is a result of guide wear, over heated guide wear, but none the less GUIDE WEAR.

Is more wear protection a good investment for a Terminator engine? Duh?

What about switching to a 5W-30 weight oil?(the second number is what counts most here since that is what the oil will behave like at operating temperatures, as opposed to the 5W- which is the cold flow rating) That's actually what was used in less powerful earlier versions of basically the same 4.6 DOHC 32V engines that also have the same internal bearing clearances, so why not? After all Ford is currently resorting to a 5W-50 to get two of it's high performance models through the incredibly rigorous near legendary Ford Durability Testing. The "grocery getter" 2011 5.0 Mustang GT takes a 5W-20 oil but Ford bumped the oil for basically a very similar 2012 Boss Mustang 5.0 engine to 5W-50 oil, that is 3 viscosity grades thicker!

For endurance racing with elevated oil temps, or longer service life in the presence of higher than normal racing levels of fuel dilution or extended drain interval street usage use Royal Purple XPR 5W-30 (part #01021, quart bottle)(formerly Racing 21). This is what I am using.:p
A still viable 5W-30 with excellent but less than XPR protection and performance is our new HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle).

Royal Purple SAE 5W-20 (part #01520, quart bottle) and Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 (part #01530, quart bottle) in the older API-SL formulation were both a very robust oils and could be used with fragile Terminator exhaust guides with a high probability of little to no guide damage even in fairly highly modified, highly heated engines.

HOWEVER: The API oils of today are now an API-SN and are limited in the amount of Phosphorous that can be used which also reduces the Zinc because they are used together in the ZDDP -> Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate COMPOUND, which is the primary anti wear additive. It has not been removed but it has been capped.

Conclusion? Today's current API-SN oils from any oil company are less protective against wear than the previous oils were. This is why I recommend Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 for even bone stock Terminators that might never see any track time at all.

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Hey Jimmy, I know I am going to put you on the spot. Not my intention, but you have a ton more knowledge in this area and I am wanting to have a better understanding of this subject.

How or why is RP different than Amsoil or another high end oil. I don't want to turn this into my stuff is better than yours. That's why I want to stress differences. Really all I know is that they are both a full synthetic. I understand how film strength plays a factor. RP seems to talk about that a lot. I would like to know more about the differences between those two oils.

Is this something you could shed some light on objectively?

What makes RP what it is over others?

For maximum performance and protection with a minimum of parasitic drag Royal Purple XPR 5W-20 (part #01011, quart bottle)(formerly Racing 11).
If you are racing in a class and want a light viscosity racing oil that will give you a competitive advantage even if your competition is also running a racing 20 weight oil. This is what you get that will still give you unparalleled protection and film strength with that ultra low parasitic drag.

A still viable 5W-20 with excellent but less than XPR protection and performance is our new HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle).

If you want to use a 20 weight oil because that is what Ford recommended for our cars due to CAFE, then at least upgrade your protection to a more appropriate level for these rather powerful supercharged engines and use one of the above choices.
The infamous Terminator tick is a result of guide wear, over heated guide wear, but none the less GUIDE WEAR.

Is more wear protection a good investment for a Terminator engine? Duh?

What about switching to a 5W-30 weight oil?(the second number is what counts most here since that is what the oil will behave like at operating temperatures, as opposed to the 5W- which is the cold flow rating) That's actually what was used in less powerful earlier versions of basically the same 4.6 DOHC 32V engines that also have the same internal bearing clearances, so why not? After all Ford is currently resorting to a 5W-50 to get two of it's high performance models through the incredibly rigorous near legendary Ford Durability Testing. The "grocery getter" 2011 5.0 Mustang GT takes a 5W-20 oil but Ford bumped the oil for basically a very similar 2012 Boss Mustang 5.0 engine to 5W-50 oil, that is 3 viscosity grades thicker!

For endurance racing with elevated oil temps, or longer service life in the presence of higher than normal racing levels of fuel dilution or extended drain interval street usage use Royal Purple XPR 5W-30 (part #01021, quart bottle)(formerly Racing 21). This is what I am using.:p
A still viable 5W-30 with excellent but less than XPR protection and performance is our new HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle).

Royal Purple SAE 5W-20 (part #01520, quart bottle) and Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 (part #01530, quart bottle) in the older API-SL formulation were both a very robust oils and could be used with fragile Terminator exhaust guides with a high probability of little to no guide damage even in fairly highly modified, highly heated engines.

HOWEVER: The API oils of today are now an API-SN and are limited in the amount of Phosphorous that can be used which also reduces the Zinc because they are used together in the ZDDP -> Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate COMPOUND, which is the primary anti wear additive. It has not been removed but it has been capped.

Conclusion? Today's current API-SN oils from any oil company are less protective against wear than the previous oils were. This is why I recommend Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 for even bone stock Terminators that might never see any track time at all.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No problem that's a legitimate question. Aside from our policy of only using the very best of the best base oils, which is a proprietary blend of group 4 and group 5, and also only using the very best additive packages available for each task we happen to be blending for, after all that it comes down to our proprietary Synerlec additive technology and that combined with everything else gives us approximately twice the film strength of our closest competitors and 3 to 4 times more tan most of our competitors.

There are a lot of good oils out there. There are also lately a handful of very good oils, but even the very best of that small hand full can not match our film strength in a viscosity to viscosity match up.
Since the reformulation to bring our SAE/API street oils into SN compliance and Synerlec being removed from all but the 5W-40, the difference between us and the really good competitor oils has narrowed some, But I sincerely believe even those are the best API-SN oils available anywhere, that's our business model, to be the best.

Hey Jimmy, I know I am going to put you on the spot. Not my intention, but you have a ton more knowledge in this area and I am wanting to have a better understanding of this subject.

How or why is RP different than Amsoil or another high end oil. I don't want to turn this into my stuff is better than yours. That's why I want to stress differences. Really all I know is that they are both a full synthetic. I understand how film strength plays a factor. RP seems to talk about that a lot. I would like to know more about the differences between those two oils.

Is this something you could shed some light on objectively?

What makes RP what it is over others?

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I appreciate the openness with your answer. Is it fair to say that one of the most important things to consider when buying motor oil is the viscosity? Maybe a better question would be what is film strength in relation to viscosity.

No problem that's a legitimate question. Aside from our policy of only using the very best of the best base oils, which is a proprietary blend of group 4 and group 5, and also only using the very best additive packages available for each task we happen to be blending for, after all that it comes down to our proprietary Synerlec additive technology and that combined with everything else gives us approximately 400% more film strength that any of our competitors.

There are a lot of good oils out there. There are also lately a handful of very good oils, but even the very best of that small hand full can not match our film strength in a viscosity to viscosity match up.
Since the reformulation to bring our SAE/API street oils into SN compliance and Synerlec being removed from all but the 5W-40, the difference between us and the really good competitor oils has narrowed some, But I sincerely believe even those are the best API-SN oils available anywhere, that's our business model, to be the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread