RPS Billet carbon triple disc clutch ordered!

Jorday

Established Member
So I decided to go ahead and spend the money and get myself an RPS BC3 for the GT500. I know a $3500 clutch probably isn't for everyone, but I had this same clutch in my 2009 ZR1 and also in my 2011 ZR1. After having two RPS billet carbon triple clutches, as well as an assortment of other aftermarket clutches on various vehicles, I would say it is simply on a higher level of performance than most other possible options.

I had absolutely horrible luck with one of the popular aftermarket clutch manufacturers for this car. After two failed units from them and a combined zero track passes, I can say with certainty they won't get any more chances at getting my money.

No other clutch lets me rip through the gears like a crazed madman like the RPS billet carbon. You can click off shifts effortlessly so quickly that it actually takes some time to adjust how quickly and easily you can change gears compared to any other clutch.

My 2011 ZR1 was 800 rwhp. Initially I thought I would save some money and go with a McLeod RXT on that car. The RXT is a decent driving clutch, but I had already been spoiled for life by the RPS in my 2009. I drove with the McLeod in my 2011 for 1 day, and then I called Livernois Motorsports and had them get me another RPS billet carbon triple for the 2011. Yeah, it costs more than double the RXT, but it was well worth it.

The stock clutch in the GT500 feels just like the stock ZR1 clutch all heavy and sluggish feeling. Visually they even look like they might be the exact same clutch with the unusual appearance of the pressure plate. The RPS should wake this thing right up.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Please post up after you get this installed. Would love to hear your thoughts on this clutch. I have been considering the RPS Billet Twin or the Centerforce DYAD

Jorday

Established Member
Will do man! I hope to have the clutch installed on the car within 2 weeks time so it shouldn't be long.

I'm pretty excited to get this thing in the car. Maybe I can try to post a video too or something. I think if there were more GT500 guys that really knew how good the RPS BC2 and BC3 were we might have a few more guys running them.

IMO, at least on the corvette, the RPS was a FAR FAR better product than the RAM, McLeod and particularly SPEC...I've had them all. The McLeod was decent but I thought the RPS was just better. The RPS worked for me so much better than the SPEC units I owned that it was unbelieveable. Both RPS clutches I owned neither of them chattered at all. All other aftermarket clutches I've owned aside from the RPS products have had at least some chatter. I have seen the RPS survive stuff easily that would ruin anything else. It's really awesome the stuff it will do for you because it doesnt have any metal surfaces to overheat.

It handled my 150 mph 2009 ZR1 like the engine could've had far more power and it wouldve been fine. You can do just about anything you want to the RPS within reason, and it doesn't slip, the pedal doesn't sink, it doesn't fight you to shift, it won't overheat etc.

Everyone that drove my corvette with the RPS was blown away by it. If anyone is near by and wants to get a test ride in mine when I get it done PM me.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm reasonably close in Sylvania, OH and already have a SPEC ST to put behind a Magnum XL but would love to compare when both cars are back together.
I just went to the RPS site, I'll look to see if any reviews from GT500s exist.
I thought the triple might be overkill, but their twin is rated at 750rwtq and I'll be making more, so triple looks like the option for big power mods.
Good luck, keep us posted.
-J

Jorday

Established Member
I just checked google maps you are only 1 hour 15 minutes from me so we should definitely meet up when we get these cars finished.

Interesting note, the official rating for the twin seems to be 900 rwhp or 750 rwtq according to the carolina clutch website. i've never actually been in a car with the twin disc, just the triple. My 2011 ZR1 made 800/800 at the wheels basically, and they said definitely go with the triple in that car. I thought the triple drove very nicely considering its capabilities...just a few weeks ago my mom was driving around my ZR1 with the RPS triple in it without any problem at all (she is basically a skinny old lady that weighs barely 100 lbs lol)

You don't hear much about the RPS carbon clutches on here, but there are a good few guys with them on the corvetteforum. Most guys seem really happy with them. Occasionally you will see someone bitching like omg this thing is awful, but I can tell you that just about every one of those cases it's acutally an improper installation causing the problem...disc binding on the trans input shaft because something wasnt done right etc.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
This is from like 5yrs ago.
I personally went with a triple disc XClutch and I’m very happy with it.
Price is great too.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread