Runs fine but then won't start after that.......

RareYellowAsp

Established Member
Okay here's the rundown,....I have a '98 with the battery relocated to the trunk. Recently, it's started this thing where it will start and run fine, but then when I turn it off, it won't even turn over again. I can jump it, and it will start, but other than that, I have to wait a while for it to start again. So far this what all I've changed out.

1. new alternator, FoMoCo
2. new starter, FoMoCo
3. new ground cable, hooked directly to block
4. cleaned terminals on positive cable.
5. new battery

I'm at the end of my rope here. It's the summer, my snakes a convertible, and I want to drive it.

The Shermanator

Gaming Guru
Established Member
Did you check all the fuses? Seeing how it starts normally and on a jump it's probably not it. But it doesn't hurt to check.

Again, since it starts, it's probably not your ignition switch. Just throwing thoughts out there. Any one else?

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Make sure you run a wire from the (-) bank of the battery to the chassis. The chassis needs to be grounded directly from the battery. Hope this helps.

RareYellowAsp

Established Member
Was grounded to body before, did it then also. Could it be an issue with the starter getting hot? Guess I'll try a heat shield next.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I know you said you bought a NEW starter but it could still be bad. It could just be the solenoid. Maybe when it heats up the contacts are not engaging. Maybe when you jump it with the extra voltage it free's it up and starts. If you alt. is checking out voltage output wise and your battery is checking out that only leaves electrical. If the wires were bad your car would not start all the time not just when HOT. I have bought bad remanufactured starters before. The ones ford sells are remanufactured even though they say they are new.

Users who are viewing this thread