Rust Resurfacing

mgallo13

Established Member
Hey guys

I've got some questions about taking care of this rust on the frame of my jeep. It's getting close to summer and I want to get it ready to sell if I decide to pull the trigger and get rid of it. Here it goes:

1. should I sand down to bare metal or just chip off the cracking black undercarriage paint?

2. what product should I use to reseal it? is it a specialized thing or just simple black primer?

3. just to clarify- im 100% certain its all surface rust and nothing major that I would need to worry about.

any help would be greatly appreciated guys:beer:
ill get some pics up later this week if necessary. wanna work on it this weekend.

ps if this is the wrong place to post, please move the thread.

verbal

Established Member
I would sand it down or use a wire brush and use a rust converter. Eastwood has a lot of options. Rustoleum does not hold up and you will see the rust come back.

coposrv

Established Member
^^ what he said. Por15 is something I have used in the past and as much as a hack as I felt using it, it worked great. It held up like iron for the remaining few years we had the trucks.

oldmodman

Established Member
You might want to try one of the rust converter pre paint preparations.

I have been using the Eastwood rust converter and it works really well.

May93

Established Member
If the POR15 is subject to sunlight it tends to turn milky in color.

xtrm302

Established Member
Soak in coca cola(name brand), clean, prime and paint! On chrome, rub with coke and aluminum foil - crazy but works

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I thought about using rust bullet on my Isuzu Trooper frame. Why is rustoleum junk, bad experiences with it coming off? If you use POR15 you don't want to take it down to bare metal, I have read that it will peel off.

mgallo13

Established Member
So I'm gonna order a quart of por15. I should just wore brush off the heavy flakes and then just paint it on?

97ReoCobra

Established Member
So I'm gonna order a quart of por15. I should just wore brush off the heavy flakes and then just paint it on?

That should work fine. I would wipe it down with lacquer thinner after wire brushing just to make sure there's no oil/grease on the metal. Read the directions on the can. Wear some latex gloves. Once dry it will not come off your skin!

gtmustang00

Established Member
I would get the vehicle oil'd. Will soak into the rust and stop/slow it down. Have been doing it to my plow truck and there is no rust on it.

Users who are viewing this thread