S/C vaccum harness, boost bypass actuator, tune and pulley questions

siver bullet

Established Member
Hi everyone

I bought my 03 Cobra last year in September, its having 2.93 upper pulley and diablo predator tune only

*I was thinking to increase the boost, which the lowest (safe) pulley I can buy? 2.76 or 2.7? idler ?

*Notice the bypass actuator valve when connected from solenoid actuator the car feels lazy and having loost HP ! But when I take the connection from solenoid to actuator valve out the cars become as it giving the full HP, so is it bad boost valve actuator??
also the line from boost actuator valve to air intake is lost!

*If changing the upper pulley to smaller, which tune is the best? BAMA? SCT? Custom tune? ( for every swap of pulley we need to change the tune?)

*Where I can buy new S/C vacuum harness?

sorry If my explanation is not clear

Silver Bullet

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Suggest you read thru a couple links..it will answer your questions and help you to understand replies.. can all be found above threads or google

2003 cobra facts and questions by cobrabob

03 cobra documents by cobra bob

03 cobra vaccum hoses documantated. .pdf file

see sticky before you post read..

bigwave

Established Member
Just did some of this

Just did, kind of similar to my 03. Me and my son bought it about 3 months ago. Used the advice of many here. Went with Metco 2.8 with hub to change back later if needed. Also added the 100mm idler to help get some more belt rap and prevent slippage. I bought an SCT 4 tuner from AmericanMuscle which included free tunes for life from BAMA for that car. SCT and BAMA are very closely related, not sure if same company but BAMA is who is doing all my tunes. I tell them what I'm doing and they e-mail me a tune, I apply tune, then log the car for a few drives, send them the log and they tweak the tune. So far so good, and the response is pretty quick, can't help but think the guys at BAMA have seen every possible combination of setups. Not saying this is better than a dyno tune with a wideban plugged into car exhaust, but, my nearest tuner is 80 to 100 miles away and kind of a pain, not to mention the cost. I did end up putting on an SCT MAF 2600 on as well, the counts on my logs were getting really close to max. So here is what I have : 2.8 metco hub/pulley, 100mm metco extra idler with bracket, 100mm mid idler pulley, sct 2600 MAF housing and sensor, K&N air filter, steeda oil separator (not sure needed), Basini X-pipe, High flow cats, flow-master cat-back exhaust.
Changed the pulley myself, purchased the BilletFlow pulley puller (soon to be for sale) and just used Metco's belt calculation page for belt length. 75" gates seemed to be right on. Can't say enough good about the Billet Flow puller, now wonder they are more expensive, they are iron monsters and make short work of pulley pulling without any issue, and I've never done one before. Everything on car is bolt on and we have kept every original part. Car is tuned for 91 oct. I did also replace my fuel pumps with 90GPH pumps due to a WOT cutout situation, I do not think this would be necessary normally but mine were going bad, also replaced the alternator with a 160a model, once again probably not necessary. The car we bought set in storage for last several years and some Ford engine-nerds I spoke with told me that the 2 things that will almost always go bad on a stored car is 1) the alternator and 2) the fuel pump. (not wanting to argue here, just retype of what I was told) ;-) Anyway, did all myself and very recently if you have any questions.

siver bullet

Established Member
Suggest you read thru a couple links..it will answer your questions and help you to understand replies.. can all be found above threads or google

2003 cobra facts and questions by cobrabob

03 cobra documents by cobra bob

03 cobra vaccum hoses documantated. .pdf file

see sticky before you post read..

I gone through hrs of readings, some answers are not found such the problem of the boost valve actuator, where to buy new line? and best tune etc....

Thanks

siver bullet

Established Member
Just did, kind of similar to my 03. Me and my son bought it about 3 months ago. Used the advice of many here. Went with Metco 2.8 with hub to change back later if needed. Also added the 100mm idler to help get some more belt rap and prevent slippage. I bought an SCT 4 tuner from AmericanMuscle which included free tunes for life from BAMA for that car. SCT and BAMA are very closely related, not sure if same company but BAMA is who is doing all my tunes. I tell them what I'm doing and they e-mail me a tune, I apply tune, then log the car for a few drives, send them the log and they tweak the tune. So far so good, and the response is pretty quick, can't help but think the guys at BAMA have seen every possible combination of setups. Not saying this is better than a dyno tune with a wideban plugged into car exhaust, but, my nearest tuner is 80 to 100 miles away and kind of a pain, not to mention the cost. I did end up putting on an SCT MAF 2600 on as well, the counts on my logs were getting really close to max. So here is what I have : 2.8 metco hub/pulley, 100mm metco extra idler with bracket, 100mm mid idler pulley, sct 2600 MAF housing and sensor, K&N air filter, steeda oil separator (not sure needed), Basini X-pipe, High flow cats, flow-master cat-back exhaust.
Changed the pulley myself, purchased the BilletFlow pulley puller (soon to be for sale) and just used Metco's belt calculation page for belt length. 75" gates seemed to be right on. Can't say enough good about the Billet Flow puller, now wonder they are more expensive, they are iron monsters and make short work of pulley pulling without any issue, and I've never done one before. Everything on car is bolt on and we have kept every original part. Car is tuned for 91 oct. I did also replace my fuel pumps with 90GPH pumps due to a WOT cutout situation, I do not think this would be necessary normally but mine were going bad, also replaced the alternator with a 160a model, once again probably not necessary. The car we bought set in storage for last several years and some Ford engine-nerds I spoke with told me that the 2 things that will almost always go bad on a stored car is 1) the alternator and 2) the fuel pump. (not wanting to argue here, just retype of what I was told) ;-) Anyway, did all myself and very recently if you have any questions.

Thank you man for the time and great INFO, appreciated , excellent what you done with car, I'm planning to do the same almost, for now smaller upper pulley(2.7 or 2.8) with idler 100mm+bracket, tuner and new belt is good for me (some say its risky to use tune cauz sometimes the A/F ratio goes rich or lean), I'm worry about this part.

Does the new tune overtune or delete the old one?

Beside the engine, my convertible top not working ( maybe bad relay, hydraulics or pump), also passenger side window not working, noise underneath the car, the mechanic says its the exhaust pipe hitting the body?!

Spend the money and changed the clutch to exedy clutch stage 1, changed engine rear main seal, suspension parts, just arrived new boost actuator valve ( to be fit soon)

I'm new here, still got a lot of questions, read a lot of threads, still don't have all the answers ....

bigwave

Established Member
Kind of feeling my way around also

Still haven't given it too much heck, BAMA guys say give it 50 miles and several start stop cycles for the "adaptive" PCM to figure things out. I have stabbed her a few times and boost shoots up past 10 but seems to max at what I suspect is around 12~13 psi. Car sounds good, and appears to like the setup, so far. They do make a "lay-over" gauge that shows boost, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. I also had BAMA hardcode a 6500 rpm limit on the car for piece of mind, I'm sure a total waste of time but makes me feel a little better. Red Line on gauge is 6500 but I think the "hard" red line is 6700 or 6800, but I've read of many raising it to 6900 or 7000 and not having problems. But, I'm a chicken with precious commodities and do not want to risk that. My tune is also set for 91-oct fuel, but BAMA says 91 minimum and 93 is still fine but NEVER use 87. Anytime I request a tune they always send 2, one for 91 and one for 93. I'm very curious to get a log file going again and see how my fuel pumps are cycling and where the SCT2600 MAF (mass air flow sensor)counts are. If all look good and car runs well, we are done, low to mid 400hp at rear wheels and still capable of being a daily driver is all we are after. Once we lick our wounds from this one we will be looking for a 2012 or newer coyote engine car that someone else already spent all the $$$ on. But that is years down the road. This car is a hoot and makes us grin ear to ear each time we drive it.

Oh yah, there is another post on here somewhere, I just posted a few words and some pictures from replacing my fuel pumps. Along with a few little tricks we figured out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread