?'s for those of you diagnosed with Tick

venams03

Established Member
I had SVT regional mgr and SVT engineer look at my car for the tick. It's as loud as hell. They thoroughly reviewed the car and tried localizing where the "ticking" was coming from.

They said they couldn't hear the noise in the engine and couldn't localize the sound to any one cylinder.

Is this characteristic of the dreaded tick? Just like many on this forum, it's sounds exactly like the wave files that I've listened to and is most prominent at the driver side front wheel well. Listening to it under the car while running, well it's just plain old LOUD Ticking!!

venams03

Established Member
They told me that they were going to take my results to SVT to advise where to go from there and I'm waiting to hear back in about a week. That's all they said...

BLK_03

Established Member
I just had a new head placed on my motor at 20K. Got home from the head replacement, and pulled into the garage only to notice the head was ticking again... but louder.

Sheesh. Anyway, the shop called SVT and supposedly there is a new "fix" coming out for the tick (this is according to Ford, SVT, NOT the dealer). Maybe this is what is taking the mgr/engineer a while to get back to you. :shrug:

trey193

Established Member
Anybody else heard that there is indeed a permanant fix coming??

gatzer

Established Member
I talked to SVT earlier and asked them about it. He said that since mine was produced on June of 03 that I won't have it nor will I get it. B.S. I've got it and can hear it by the drivers side front tire and sounds like it is comming from underneath the car. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. SVT also said that it does not cause a driveability or performance problem. It is just annoying. So I'm just going to drive it till something happens since I have already notified them. He said that they perfer replacing engines so that they can get them back to tear them apart and see what is wrong. Then said well we just change the left head most of the time though and that will fix the problem. Didn't mention anything about a new fix however.

It would be nice for them to get their sh!t together!!

rcrx66

Established Member
Hey Venams03 , looking at your post, you'd think I was writing it. I am going through the exact same thing. I had to point out the ticking to the dealership. Awaiting on Fords " ruling". I'll keep you guys posted.

tv's 03

Established Member
I called SVT yesterday, he did not indicate any new fix coming out. He stated to tighten the cam journals and there could possibly be some flashing in the valve cover that needs to be removed. :shrug:

He said there have been no head failures, just annoyance. If you can live with it, it won't hurt anything.

The guys name was Matt at 1-800-ford-svt

gatzer

Established Member
Originally posted by rcrx66
Annoyance my foot. "Class Action". Maybe then they'll acknowledge the problem.

I'm assuming that you have it too. Mark was who I talked to today and said that we won't have it since ours were at the end of the production run ( the 10th's) and got the quote on quote new heads on them.

dhammans

Established Member
Any ticking sound is metal on metal. This is bad.

It is either a) important metal or b) unimportant metal.

If we're lucky and it's not important, it will eventually 'tick' itself out (i.e. wear away the surfaces that were ticking). That could take a long time though :).

If we're unlucky even though it's unimportant the shavings/metal particles from this could severely damage the motor.

If it is important it could kill the motor if it got really bad, i.e. score the cam bearings in the head (are there cam bearings or do they ride directly on the head?) and send shavings through the motor. Eventually the cam would start to wobble and Mr. Pistons meet Mr. Valves (if the motor even runs that long)

Any way you slice the bread it's not a good thing. Looking at the financial state of Ford I doubt they want to do anything about it. Class action lawsuit is probably the only way that they will admit anything.

There is something similar with 95-99 Mitsu Eclipse/Eagle Talon motors, which they refer to as 'Crankwalk'. Instead of a little tick, the main crank thrust bearings give way and the entire crank moves laterally in the motors. If this happens to your car you might as well take the whole longblock and throw it in the trash can. Mitsubishi never admitted it as a problem and tried to void peoples warranties who got it. Much like the tick, it wasn't mods related. Why am I mentioning this? At least it's not the whole motor. Just a head :p

Last edited:

rcrx66

Established Member
I'm assuming that you have it too. Mark was who I talked to today and said that we won't have it since ours were at the end of the production run ( the 10th's) and got the quote on quote new heads on them.

Gatzer, yes I have the tick and it's a 10th anniv. I've talked to this Mark guy a few times and quite honestly they all say the same thing to put you at ease.

When Ford had the fear of a Class Action law suit for the 99's, they placed a recall. Our issues I think are a little more important/serious, but they seem to enjoy getting away with it.

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by rcrx66
Gatzer, yes I have the tick and it's a 10th anniv. I've talked to this Mark guy a few times and quite honestly they all say the same thing to put you at ease.

When Ford had the fear of a Class Action law suit for the 99's, they placed a recall. Our issues I think are a little more important/serious, but they seem to enjoy getting away with it.

I have the tick and I have an 04 :)

The 99 fix was new exhaust and a reflash... this problem is a lot more expensive to fix... :kaboom:
-Peter

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
We've got the same noise you're talking about on the vert. My friends 04 has it too. He works at Ford and they looked at his and said it's injector rail noise. BS is my opinion and we're going to take ours in to a different dealer to see what they say. Both heads on the vert have the blue markings and the coupe does not come close to making the noise. Guess I batting 500.

Last edited:

fr03cobra

Established Member
when was your car built ? It has to be before 11/02. If you fall in before that date they should not have to advise svt.

nuxx

Established Member
Does yours get louded with heat and faster with RPM increase? Summer's gonna be a bitch. I wonder if making the cooling system better would help with it... ie bigger radiator, fans, etc...
-Peter

fr03cobra

Established Member
My tech knew what the tick sounded like and quickly said yep it's the tick. I had my head replace that next week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread