S197 Driveline Heat Management

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
To those of you who open-track, time-trial or road race the S197:

I'll be running the 4.6 3V & T-3650 in a fairly close to stock spec until I can afford a new Boss crate motor & Tremec T56 Magnum package.

I will be upgrading to a complete new 8.8" axle assembly with 3.73 gears, Torsen T2R centre and FRPP M-4033-G2 Low Profile Axle Girdle.

My question is related to those of you running in 20-30 minute sessions/sprint races. Have you found it necessary to run external coolers for the:
-engine oil
-transmission oil
-differential oil

Or do you run some other system, like scoops, ducts or similar; or a really unique fluid that minimises fluid deterioration?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
To those of you who open-track, time-trial or road race the S197:

I'll be running the 4.6 3V & T-3650 in a fairly close to stock spec until I can afford a new Boss crate motor & Tremec T56 Magnum package.

I will be upgrading to a complete new 8.8" axle assembly with 3.73 gears, Torsen T2R centre and FRPP M-4033-G2 Low Profile Axle Girdle.

My question is related to those of you running in 20-30 minute sessions/sprint races. Have you found it necessary to run external coolers for the:
-engine oil
-transmission oil
-differential oil

Or do you run some other system, like scoops, ducts or similar; or a really unique fluid that minimises fluid deterioration?

20-30 minutes is fairly light duty depending on ambient temps. I'd be more concerned about oil starvation in the motor. What type of oil pan are you running and what kind of tires are you running?

You need to know the temps of the oil now so you'd need to install an oil temp gauge for starters and then go from there.

Your trans and diff should also be fine with a high enough hose routing and a catch can.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
Just attended the Melbourne Mustang Club meeting tonight; similar sentiments were expressed about the diff/trans being OK but Oil temp/supply management being critical. I guess I'm now on the hunt for a road racing oil pan. I'll be using Yokohama Advan A048 or A050 semi-slicks aka DOT Racing Tires.

Catch can? Gatorade bottle and some fuel hose mate!

Oil temperature will be handled by the Motec CDL3 Dash & Logging Kit.

20-30 minutes is fairly light duty depending on ambient temps. I'd be more concerned about oil starvation in the motor. What type of oil pan are you running and what kind of tires are you running?

You need to know the temps of the oil now so you'd need to install an oil temp gauge for starters and then go from there.

Your trans and diff should also be fine with a high enough hose routing and a catch can.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just attended the Melbourne Mustang Club meeting tonight; similar sentiments were expressed about the diff/trans being OK but Oil temp/supply management being critical. I guess I'm now on the hunt for a road racing oil pan. I'll be using Yokohama Advan A048 or A050 semi-slicks aka DOT Racing Tires.

Catch can? Gatorade bottle and some fuel hose mate!

Oil temperature will be handled by the Motec CDL3 Dash & Logging Kit.

Your Yokohama R compound tires are going to give you lots of grip and grip converts to G-forces which is bad for a stock oiling system. Road Race pan should be high on your list!

I prefer a 'real' catch can with a vent, baffle and drain back.

FWIW

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
Was wondering how most people were finding the stock pan & tray for track use; I guess I'm adding a sump to my list!

Your Yokohama R compound tires are going to give you lots of grip and grip converts to G-forces which is bad for a stock oiling system. Road Race pan should be high on your list!

I prefer a 'real' catch can with a vent, baffle and drain back.

FWIW

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
Canton Road/Race Pan and louvered windage tray purchased, car rolls out of the container this week (I hope!).

Users who are viewing this thread