S197 - Is there any way to lighten the steering effort?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
S197 - 2010 Roush Mustang. Is there any way to lighten the overall steering effort? I'm not looking to get zero effort, I just want it to be a little easier when turning the wheel during normal driving. It probably doesn't help that the factory wheels are 10" wide.

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

I'm not a big fan of heavy-feeling steering, but some folks seem to prefer it, especially for 'sportier' driving. To each his own. I want it a tad lighter. And before the wise guys chirp in with all the comments about why I should cherish the heavy steering, fughedaboudid. o_O And I'm hitting the gym almost every day, so it's not lack of strength... :p

Norm Peterson

Established Member
I've never felt that the steering on my '08 had a particularly heavy feel about it, not even with 285 front tires on 11" wide wheels. I'm 72 and not blessed with much in the way of upper-body strength.

That leaves the extra weight of your forced induction, maybe the offset of your front wheels, or perhaps a set of underdrive pulleys as causes. Maybe even your car's alignment settings. The last two would be the easiest to change or experiment with.

Any chance you're comparing your S197's hydraulic power steering against a newer car that has electrically-assisted steering? EPAS systems have been notoriously poor as far as steering "feel" is concerned and can be calibrated to feel anywhere from 'light' in non-sporty cars to 'really heavy without any more feel' in sporty cars (Camaro that I can personally speak for).

Norm

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I've never felt that the steering on my '08 had a particularly heavy feel about it, not even with 285 front tires on 11" wide wheels. I'm 72 and not blessed with much in the way of upper-body strength.

That leaves the extra weight of your forced induction, maybe the offset of your front wheels, or perhaps a set of underdrive pulleys as causes. Maybe even your car's alignment settings. The last two would be the easiest to change or experiment with.

Any chance you're comparing your S197's hydraulic power steering against a newer car that has electrically-assisted steering? EPAS systems have been notoriously poor as far as steering "feel" is concerned and can be calibrated to feel anywhere from 'light' in non-sporty cars to 'really heavy without any more feel' in sporty cars (Camaro that I can personally speak for).

Norm

Norm, thanks for the great reply. Offset is slight, if any. Underdrive pulleys is good thought, again, I think the drive pulleys are stock (unless Roush changed them).

I have played with toe settings a little. I bought a nice set of toe plates and have the toe set with just a tiny bit of toe-in.

And yes, I've driven lots of vehicles with EPS. Actually, I've been looking at getting a newer truck for myself, so I've been driving lots of late-model GMC and Chevy trucks, all with EPS, and the steering is MUCH lighter than my Mustang. So that's what got me thinking about the heavy feel of the Mustang wheel.

Thanks again, Dave

-

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I know what you are saying. Us old guys remember the day of the one finger turn in and out. I think the only thing that you can do is put a narrower wheel and tire up front. When I drive my 2012 around town on the skinnies it feels like a different car. Steers much easier and sharp, I enjoy it so much that I don't change them out anymore. It's easer for me to do that on my car because it is not a "collector style vehicle", meaning it really doesn't matter what I put on it as long as I like it......Guess that is really the same for everyone isn't it.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I know what you are saying. Us old guys remember the day of the one finger turn in and out. I think the only thing that you can do is put a narrower wheel and tire up front. When I drive my 2012 around town on the skinnies it feels like a different car. Steers much easier and sharp, I enjoy it so much that I don't change them out anymore. It's easer for me to do that on my car because it is not a "collector style vehicle", meaning it really doesn't matter what I put on it as long as I like it......Guess that is really the same for everyone isn't it.

LOL, yeah Scott. I remember those days. But back then, most of my muscle cars had no power steering at all, haha.

I'd swap the wheels out in a second, but then your old Hammer wouldn't be authentic looking. I had it at Jay Leno's big car show last Fall in Newport, Rhode Island and it got plenty of attention. It was actually included in a Roush display, with the Roush trailer and a few of their new vehicles. So it's important to maintain that original look for some of these cars.

Hope you're well man.

Norm Peterson

Established Member
How much negative camber are you running? Dialing in a little more might lighten things up a bit (by reducing the self-aligning torque).

I know that there are ways to change steering weight that involve going inside the power steering (you'd probably want a 'softer' torsion bar).

Norm

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Smaller pulley on your PS pump.

Convert to electric pump or electric steering column.

Plenty of info on using a GM column or Mazda pump on the web. Get a controller and you can adjust the pressure/effort.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Smaller pulley on your PS pump..............

Hmmm, I would do this right f'in now. Do you happen to know the sizing or where I might be able to get a smaller P/S pulley???

Many thanks!

-

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
No, but a smaller pulley will spin it faster and increase pressure.

I've messed with that on Nissans in the past when doing engine swaps.
Hmmm, I would do this right f'in now. Do you happen to know the sizing or where I might be able to get a smaller P/S pulley???

Many thanks!

-

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I totally agree with you on keeping it original, that's why I said it didn't matter on my car. Personally, I would be happy with the steering for that car. You really have something special there my friend.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I totally agree with you on keeping it original, that's why I said it didn't matter on my car. Personally, I would be happy with the steering for that car. You really have something special there my friend.

Yes sir, it is special, and you were a true gentleman to buy it from. Thanks VERY much for everything!

Recon

Established Member
Other suggestions could be a high pressure pump or another rack. But my first pursuit would a pulley.

Pick your poison.

Users who are viewing this thread