S197/ S550 dash retrofit?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Who's seen or done it?

Only one I've seen was a blue fox body coupe that had a gt500 interior and powertrain swap.

If I can, I'd love to update my interior a bit. I've seen indash, trim, gauge and nicely done reskin's, cages, etc and if a retrofit is too complicated I'll likely go the traditional route, but where there's a will, there's often a way...

Anyone know where I could find the dimensions of an 05-14 and 2015+ dash? Salvage yards have them cheap so I was thinking to buy one, do some measurements/test cuts/etc and chop it a bit to find the right sizing/brackets/clip setup, then maybe order a fresh one to properly alter, or just reskin the modified one of its not too far worked over to clean up/use.

Door wise, I know I can have a local shop build or alter any similar sized door panel, so I'm not too worried about that, and rear seat wise I'm gonna just have it fabbed up from a 2005+ (chopped/trimmed) assuming I do change the dash and doors. Airbag and safety will comply with current code for a 2003 car so it will be fine.

Why all the trouble? Just something I've not really seen done and I'd like to slowly make my car a bit of a 1/1 if I can in tasteful ways. No fauxrrari or lamborgienni stuff. Like I said, the blue fox body with a gt500 interior was really nicely done. I'd wanna do it right like he did if I did a retrofit.

Gt500 interior in a foxbody

image_zpszruhvice.jpg

image_zpsbqoxscee.jpg

image_zpsrp0kqycw.jpg

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Right? Time or money or both but it's the newest kick I've gotten for the car so hopefully I can keep the costs under control by doing most of the fab work.

BME

KING
Established Member
He had to cut out the firewall and the floor boards IIRC in that fox500. Just a heads up. I can't wait to see what you do as it sounds like you're about ready to freshen it up!

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
BME is right, he had to section in the firewall and floor pans from the donor. If i remember the post correctly he still had to trim the dash and fabricate some brackets and other items. Its doable but if you are not doing it yourself, or own a body shop its probably not feasible for the masses. His build thread is on here somewhere. You should read through it before deciding to do it.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ya the more I look into it, the less and less enthused I am to dive into such a project haha.... I need to call staples on this for an easy button.

I still want to do something like this, but it's looking more and more like I'll do something tasteful but just minor for now like seats, dress up and install the mm cage I have, some better gauges, and maybe some apolstry work on the interior door panels/shift boot etc.

StealthV8

Established Member
Ya the more I look into it, the less and less enthused I am to dive into such a project haha.... I need to call staples on this for an easy button.

I still want to do something like this, but it's looking more and more like I'll do something tasteful but just minor for now like seats, dress up and install the mm cage I have, some better gauges, and maybe some apolstry work on the interior door panels/shift boot etc.

I know this post is 2 yr.s old but I was wondering how far did you get on your S197/S550 retrofit? I have a Newedge 03 Mustang GT/Cobra project and I too am considering a 13/14 Shelby GT500 S197 complete interior swap or a 2015+ S550 Mustang GT complete interior swap!...Thanks and God Bless!

Users who are viewing this thread