S2000 vs. Mustang GT once and for all...

ZnusNV

Established Member
A lot of people on this board don't give the S2k credit. Fair enough. It is low in the torque department and it revs insanely high.

Most of the time when the match-up is brought up here the GT is declared the winner without any consideration. I read a lot of "I've raced plenty of S2ks and never lost" posts on this forum.

But then you go to the S2k and the view the same topic...

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233161&st=0

...they dismiss the GT as the loser as quickly as the owners here dismiss the S2k as the loser. They share the same anecdotes about timeslips and experiences that favor their positions. They make the same "I have never lost to a GT comment." They make the same "They're quick, but that is it..." comments. Someone has to be wrong.

At some point personal opinion has to give way to fact, objectivity and logic. Cause in the end we are all car enthusiasts right?

So who wins? OBJECTIVELY.

Z

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
IN a drag race the GT's power under the curve is a sheer advantage. It may not have the weight advantage that the s2000 has but it gets in to it's power sooner and stays in it longer than the s2000. To really get a perspective of how it would work you'd need to use average hp and torque over the weight of the veichles. Simply put, the GT has far more average power than the s2000 does. Enough so that the weight advantage of the s2000 is likely compromised by it's low average power.

Given equal drivers I would argue that the GT, at least from a dig will take out an s2000.
From a roll as speeds increase the s2000 will be able to stay in it's power band longer and it's weight and aerodynamic advantages should start to be seen.

Mr Kram

Established Member
Speaking as a former 2004 S2K owner, this is a drivers race. I would suspect that there is a slight advantage for a 6speed GT. That being said, I have edge out several GT's from both a dig and a rolling start.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Mr Kram said:
Speaking as a former 2004 S2K owner, this is a drivers race. I would suspect that there is a slight advantage for a 6speed GT. That being said, I have edge out several GT's from both a dig and a rolling start.

6 Speed Mustang GT? :dw:

Sephiroth

Established Member
reddog4063 said:
are we talking about the '06 300HP GT or an older one?
Older model, if you can drive you win from a stop no if's or but's.
Newer model, from the number's I've seen, wins everytime.
:banana:

Nick85

Banned
Those S2000's look like a lot of fun to drive but I have left 2 or 3 in the dust. Might have us in the turns but in the straights it's really no comparison.

ZnusNV

Established Member
HotRodK said:
Heck, I smoked an S2000 in my wifes SRT-4. You guys KNOW how slow they are! :)

Good run, but you beat the driver.

Most S2k drivers don't know how to operate efficiently within the S2k's RPM range. Stock for Stock, the S2k would easily handle a Srt-4--from a dig or a roll.

Their superiority becomes particularly evident at higher speeds.

BM1

Established Member
ZnusNV said:

Most S2k drivers don't know how to operate efficiently within the S2k's RPM range. Stock for Stock, the S2k would easily handle a Srt-4--from a dig or a roll.

Eh... for some reason I'm doubting that. The SRT-4 has a wider powerband and more torque.

QU!CK

Bite The Bullitt...
Established Member
On the road again...just can't wait to get on the
Torch10th said:
IN a drag race the GT's power under the curve is a sheer advantage. It may not have the weight advantage that the s2000 has but it gets in to it's power sooner and stays in it longer than the s2000. To really get a perspective of how it would work you'd need to use average hp and torque over the weight of the veichles. Simply put, the GT has far more average power than the s2000 does. Enough so that the weight advantage of the s2000 is likely compromised by it's low average power.

Given equal drivers I would argue that the GT, at least from a dig will take out an s2000.
From a roll as speeds increase the s2000 will be able to stay in it's power band longer and it's weight and aerodynamic advantages should start to be seen.

+1

Although most on either side of the arguement won't admit it, I agree with this statment 100%. From a dig is where the mustang shines...from a roll, the S2k would have a bit of an advantage.

-J

Quik Z06

Established Member
Well, when we had our 03 S2K we raced plenty og GT's and never lost, from dig or roll. If you launch the S2K at 6K (yes 6K) it takes off pretty good. It really comes down to drivers IMO.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
ZnusNV said:

:bs: SRT-4 will dust an S2K....those things are a joke :nonono:

schef

Established Member
i'd put my money on an srt-4 rather than a s2k. i have raced a lot of both and srt's seem to give me a better race. from a roll and from stop.

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
hey guys just a quick question, I know nothing about s2k's so dont flame me please. anyways neighbor bought a new s2000, says its a special edition one from the factory with a supercharger. 340 hp he claims, is this legit, if so can he take my intake exhaust cobra? thanks guys

Slow Vette

Highway Junkie
Established Member
SVTCOBRAKID said:
hey guys just a quick question, I know nothing about s2k's so dont flame me please. anyways neighbor bought a new s2000, says its a special edition one from the factory with a supercharger. 340 hp he claims, is this legit, if so can he take my intake exhaust cobra? thanks guys

first off an s2000 doesn't come from the factory with a supercharger. so most likely he's full of sh***. so just look under his hood and if u don't see a supercharger, u will own so bad he'll feel like sellin his car :-D

Users who are viewing this thread