Safe Socket to remove Lugs on Narrow hole

celticfdguy

Keepin Calm and Chivin On
Established Member
Hey Guys, I got my new Shelby signature wheels installed in my driveway a week ago. The install process was good but the holes for the lug nuts are NARROW. I didnt realize I could easily scratch the wheels tightening the lug. I put a small scratch on one wheel before I wrapped my socket in electrical tape. I bought a 13/16 socket on Amazon with plastic outer shield, however, it is to big to fit into the hole with the lug nut. That being said, what process or socket do you guys use to safetly remove and install your wheels? I was debating wrapping the socket in painters tape instead of electrical tape?

Thanks fellas!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Im personally a favorite of Koken sockets. I use them on my SS widebody rims. Go to page 208 on pdf. I dont use a impact! I use a 1/2 breaker bar to bust the lugs loose and a torque wrench to tighten the lugs back on to factory spec.

2013-ford-shelby-mustang-gt500-super-snake.jpg

Those are some tight holes to get into.....PITA!! No scratches on the inner lug nut hole with the koken socket. It clears the side hole with no problem. Tape could be used with them for added comfort if you choose too. Hope this helps, they worked for me.

Last edited:

celticfdguy

Established Member

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As mentioned, use 3/8 drive, vs 1/2". And yes wrap in painters tape, and only do things by hand (no impact).

I'm a baby. I will break the lugs loose, and do the final torque by hand...but I use an impact (not to actually impact) but to run the lugs on and off. Takes too long otherwise.

Thanks Fellas. I saw Vinne_B torques the lugs. I've never torqued a lug to spec in my life. Should I be doing this?

Absolutely. LOL

Have you just always used a torque gun and hit it hard? Very lucky you didn't snap a stud, or multiple. On my racecar I torque to 80ft/lbs, as I check after ever 20-25 minute session.

celticfdguy

Established Member
I'm a baby. I will break the lugs loose, and do the final torque by hand...but I use an impact (not to actually impact) but to run the lugs on and off. Takes too long otherwise.

Absolutely. LOL

Have you just always used a torque gun and hit it hard? Very lucky you didn't snap a stud, or multiple. On my racecar I torque to 80ft/lbs, as I check after ever 20-25 minute session.
Fail on my part lol. Knock on wood I haven't! What torque wrench is recommend? I have 0 experience with them lol

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

celticfdguy

Established Member
Reading that my 2010 GT500 lugs should be torqued to 100? Any benefit going digital opposed to the non-digital?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Reading that my 2010 GT500 lugs should be torqued to 100? Any benefit going digital opposed to the non-digital?

Not necessarily.

Just a little quicker than spinning it around 7-8 times haha

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
As far as being crazy, if you want to wrap the socket look at UHMW tape. On one side or both (socket and rim).

Last edited:

mariusvt

Established Member

Absolutely. LOL

93bcpw48rd941.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I will break the lugs loose, and do the final torque by hand...but I use an impact (not to actually impact) but to run the lugs on and off. Takes too long otherwise.

this, I started using a torque stick thats about 10ft lbs below final torque. That way I get a little bit of a turn with the torque wrench and know that it wasn't over tightened with the impact

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I do too, on some wheels where the lugs are out in the open, but closed and wheel damage is possible? If you have a short extension, 2 hands, they spin off quick. I have some cars its hand only, not even power to spin them off.

Users who are viewing this thread