Saleen S281E vs 03 Cobra, who in their right mind would buy a saleen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Well see NOS point of view. Saleen has the plates reading "only in the hands of the few" or some shit like that. Its about right. Spend that kind of cash? Humm no its like a Vette or very closely related to a Vipers Range.

My 03. Mods & Mods & lots of it. Plus its fun to see what u can do with the parts u decide to Mod on & at the end its still cheaper.

Silver 03 Cobra

Their customer service sucks and their quality is not very good.

The comment about equal money getting comparable gains between both cars is wrong. I met a dude at the track with a HD SC'd truck. He asked me how the hell I was getting so much more power out of a pulley on a smaller engine. I asked him if he knew the Cobra had 4V heads. He justed looked puzzled.

silvercoffin

Established Member
uhh

Buy an older stang rebuild the engine suspension..everything...

I was gonna have that done.... WHY BUY AN 03 COBRA? because I love the way it looks and its ready to race from the factory. If you are a mechanic or mechanically inclined and have the place, tools and know how to rebuild a car...do it...thats cool. For me and many people like me, the 03 cobra is the best bet. Looks great and doesnt need to be rebuilt to race. If you decide to have any work done it will just go faster. Easily into the 11s. 10s and even 9s are possible with bolt ons.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by StangD281
As for pricing, how many 281-E's did they make? A couple hundred? How many '03 Cobras? 12,000 or so.

Less than 100 E's were made for 2002.
5 have been built for this year.(I've seen the list)
I haven't seen a 1999 S-351 sell for less than 50K yet. Only 50 +/- a couple were made then.

From a collectibility stand point the E will be better. I can't wait to see the guy who ordered his 10th Anniversary Saleen complain when his wheels (10th anniv) are gone.

Saleen's are cool because you don't see them everyday on the road. My customers always get a thumbs up when they drive them.

hj16

Established Member
Thank you for saving me the time of typing that
No problem.

I hate it that its been stated multiple times that the E has a Twin Screw, and yet people just dont understand/read.

99SVTcobraVERT

Originally posted by hj16
You're forgeting that the S281-E has a Twin Screw that'll out do the Eaton.

you are also forgetting the new E has custom saleen alum heads with super duty valve springs and blower cams. this mated with the lysholm twin screw charger = mean power...not to mention the lyshold operates in almost total silence! which could be good thing or bad thing lol and you also have 42's off the bat working for you. put 15psi to the E and 15psi to the cobra on stock to stock blowers..... peace out to the cobra....put a belle on the cobra @ 15psi and it would be interesting and difficult to call that one....

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
NOS. Bell calls for a cow. Dudes we gots to loss some weight, now.

True on the Twin Screw. They proved it bone stock on MM&FF what they can run & thats with out the mods. Imagine they woudl swap out the Pulleys. Raise the Twin Screws RPM ...... $h*t what would they really see out of a simple swat????????

99SVTcobraVERT

was that ebonics lol because i didnt really understand but about 30% of that post. english please? lol i think you were saying something about 03's need to lose some weight and about the kenny belle?? and swaping over pulleys and something but on what car? and huh?no flame intended its just that sometimes internet lingo gets more and more like gulla or ebonics

Wild Bill

Established Member
Originally posted by norcal_cobra
I briefly considered the Saleen and Roush. I didn't want a way overpriced maxed out 2-valve GT. These cars are a really "bad buy" to me. Instead I opted for the 03 Cobra with high mod potential for low investment. Additionally I preferred the subtle looks of the Cobra rather than, in my opinion, the "riced out" looks of the Saleen and Roush cars.

-norcal_cobra
I dont think they look riced out,but the Saleen is a little busy looking for me.I too prefer the subtle looks of the Cobra.

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
for $3500, buy a kenne bell and a t-rex pump and u can run 20lbs of boost and then see who makes more power, 2v or 4v

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by 11secCobra
for $3500, buy a kenne bell and a t-rex pump and u can run 20lbs of boost and then see who makes more power, 2v or 4v
You don't get it, do you? It's not about the dyno numbers. 1/4 mile times don't come off the dyno. For that argument, please go to the road-kill forum & see the thread about the Z06 that seems so popular.

Saleens already have a twin-screw, just like the KB. In fact, all '03 S/C'ed Saleens now have twin-screws. Frankly, I think it's about time for the money they go for.

The horse is dead....please stop kicking it.

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
I'd love to have either car, but I'd opt for the S281E if I could have either. And this coming from a guy who made Ford buy back my S281. ;)

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
are you stupid? quarter mile times are directly reldated to the dyno. provided you have traction, more power=lower et...i was just saying that u take a cobra and with a kenne bell exhaust and nittos ($40,000), you will be able to get a better et than a $65000 saleen s281e..who would pay that much for a car that has a motor that is almost "maxed out"? just pointing out that its a lot easier to make big power with 4v heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread