Saving money, buying a cheap DD idea?

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
I know its late, and work + Humidity today = Teh brain suxors

However....if i wanted to buy a bike for better Gas mileage would i really be getting anywhere? Small loan for the bike = Loan Intrest + new Licenses and fees + Value loss over the course of a year or so. Would that really come out for saving money?

The only way to make out is to buy a reliable beater car, pay cash for it and hope nothing breaks over the year.

But if i have to take a loan to buy anything, im really not getting anywhere??? Due to the money paid for loan intrest = the same money saved for gas. Plus trying to resell a beater is hard as bawls.

Anybody ever really calculated the numbers out?

jangocast

Established Member
I'll tell you what I did for a daily driver but this is probably not for everyone. Got myself a 88 Honda CRX Si for a whole $800 Nov 06. It has 135k on it and for the 18k miles I have had it, all I have put into it was a $50 main relay. I have done maintience to it to ensure longetivity ie wayer pump, timing belt, serp belts, oil changes, plugs etc. Can't ask for much more out of a 20 year old car when your getting 38-40 mpg.

Old school Hondas are the way to go IMO. Cheap and they are tanks.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
If you don't get a sport bike the ins isn't that much, but added to everything else it may not save you enough money to make it worth it unless you got a bike that got really good mpg. I was looking around the net the other day and found that the Buell Blast gets nearly 70mpg, but I don't know anyone that has one to verify it.

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
I would probably buy a used cycle and pay cash for it. If you don't finance it then you don't have to have insurance on it. At least thats what its like here in Florida. If you get a beater car it will probably break and the extra expenditure would defeat the purpose

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
Unless it's a Huffy or your car gets 10 mpg you're probably better off not getting anything.

Do some Math
1-current car)miles driven per year/miles per gallon*dollar of gas
2-idea car)miles driven per year/miles per gallon*dollar of gas

My guess is that it's spending thousands to save hundreds

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Unless it's a Huffy or your car gets 10 mpg you're probably better off not getting anything.
Gotta agree with that. My daily driver gets 22-25mpg. I would gladly move up to something with better mileage. The problem is, I'd need something that gets nearly double the mileage to make it worth my while. And frankly, there aren't any cars out there that get 50mpg. Heck, I'm not even sure there are many bikes that get that kind of mileage!

This car is kind of a joke, but if you're willing to drive a beater like THIS, then it would be worth your while. ;-)

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Gotta agree with that. My daily driver gets 22-25mpg. I would gladly move up to something with better mileage. The problem is, I'd need something that gets nearly double the mileage to make it worth my while. And frankly, there aren't any cars out there that get 50mpg. Heck, I'm not even sure there are many bikes that get that kind of mileage!

This car is kind of a joke, but if you're willing to drive a beater like THIS, then it would be worth your while. ;-)

Thats where I am. When someone makes a car that gets 100mpg and doesn't cost a fortune then I will upgrade, until then it prolly isn't worth it to me.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
You can make it work you just have to be willing to make the commitment. Say 1-2 years depending on what you buy. I got lucky and I got my beater for free plus the $400 it cost me to get her on the road. Versus driving the Cobra I am saving $150 every 1000 miles. My truck paid for itself in a little over 2 months. Had I paid about $2000 for a similar truck it would have taken about 10 months to pay back but I would have still done it.

Remember there are a lot of other things to consider besides the cost of gas.
Oil & filter cost - cheap oil in the beater will save a lot
tire cost - cheap tires on the beater
deprecation - The Cobra will not go down as much in value. How much further can a $2000 beater go down?
Insurance - Liability only on the beater and you can switch the Cobra to a collector insurance policy(Hagerty). This saved me $1200 a year with both cars.

I like my little truck but not having to worry about where I park, who is parked next to me, and what I run over or how fast is also a great reason for a beater.

Look into late 80s early 90s Mazda trucks. Mine is a carburated 87, it averages about 32mpg and run great with 190k miles.

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
If they could get the Tesla from 100k to 50k. That would start something. That car is incredible.

Hooligan02

We're all full of lies
Established Member
I have to agree with bit. I know my camaro isn't the best on gas, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper than driving the cobra everyday. Again, oil, tires, and insurance I don't pay hardly anything for cause I keep it cheap as possible.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
depends on what you buy. i bought a 92 toyota tercel a coupe years ago for my long commute to work and it payed for itself in like 3 months. i only paid a grand for it. still drive it today.

Coiled03

Established Member
It's just an excercise in math. You don't need a bunch of people on here to tell you if it's a good idea. Add up all the costs associated with a new daily driver, and compare that to what you're paying now - decision is made.

wh0a62

Established Member
Picked myself up a little bucket of a Geo metro for $500 and im happy as hell with it. Great gas mileage, lowered my insurance, keeping my mileage low on the cobra and did i metion i save a TON on gas! I love my baby, who cares what people think when im in it. I know what i got at home.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
It's just an excercise in math. You don't need a bunch of people on here to tell you if it's a good idea. Add up all the costs associated with a new daily driver, and compare that to what you're paying now - decision is made.

Well i have an 05 Cummins - $125 to fill up...20-21mpg. I have to use it once or twice a week for our Family Business. So my other beater would be for the days i dont need the truck for work, and putzing around town and stuff. Seeing as i don't drive a whole ton just to drive around. It would take a long time for a beater to make itself worth it.

Coiled03

Established Member
Well i have an 05 Cummins - $125 to fill up...20-21mpg. I have to use it once or twice a week for our Family Business. So my other beater would be for the days i dont need the truck for work, and putzing around town and stuff. Seeing as i don't drive a whole ton just to drive around. It would take a long time for a beater to make itself worth it.

See - you're already starting to hash it out in your head. Just follow the train of thought to its logical conclusion, and you'll find your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread