Saving money, buying a cheap DD idea?

red9450

Established Member
got a 1996 pontiac sunfire gt (5 speed 160hp) that i picked up for $1200 with 110k on it. has 160 now. put tires on it. Needed an exhaust. so far for less than $1700 invested. 3.4 cents a mile, not including gas. The mileage I get on this is great too. 370 miles to a 12 gallon tank, which is 30mpg. Sooo.....Figure $5675 for 50k worth of gas at $3.50 a gallon. add that to the 1700 invested and it cost me 14.7 cents per mile. the average new vehicle costs roughly twice that, and I don't have to put miles on the Cobra or the Truck.

Oborroto

Established Member
On a more serious note, how far do you drive, do you use your car for work (deliveries, work errands...) Honestly I dont see why people are buying 13k $ "dd" when you can spend 1-2k and have the same car just older.

My94GT

Established Member
i have a 94 civic bout it for 700 a year or so ago. it gives me no trouble at all and gets good gas mileage

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
smokey is my cousin and im in the same boat, but i plan on purchasing a beater that has around or under 100K for around 3k or cheaper. i've found quite a few that i have to follow up on when i get home.

but my situation is same and different at the same time. the cobra sits at home, used to be my DD when i first bought it except the winter. my dad bought a '96 F-250 w/ 5.8L in it and wow........190 miles to 16 gallons of gas, all hwy. on TOP of that, my dad uses it for the business, which is fine, its his truck. but he doesn't put back in the tank what he uses out of my personal use, which i think is just ridiculious.

so im out on the beater DD, my OWN car trail. im still trying to think if i should do it or not, but if i go to school shortly like i maybe it'll be worth it in the end.

$55+ at the pump every 2-3 days is draining, on the wallet and me lol

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Lightning DD for me.. but i don't have to drive very far for work.. road trips = the wifes BMW which when i drive it I get pretty much the same mileage as the truck.. doesn't matter in the long run unless you're on the highway.. because around town i would have to drive the shit out of the beater to feel the performance like the L at normal driving..

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Lightning DD for me.. but i don't have to drive very far for work.. road trips = the wifes BMW which when i drive it I get pretty much the same mileage as the truck.. doesn't matter in the long run unless you're on the highway.. because around town i would have to drive the shit out of the beater to feel the performance like the L at normal driving..

lol atleast your honest!!!

HeavyRightFoot

STRAIT TO THE TOP
Established Member
cobra......20mpg
beater.....$2000 & 30mpg
Drive for 2 years...save money on gas....
sell beater...$2000 back= saving money.

Just cause you invest you money now in a car to save money on gas doesnt mean you cant get the money back when you sell it.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
honda-emblem.gif

You know you want to.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
you won't save any money doing this, imo. i was going to buy a beater instead of selling the L, but i wouldn't have seen any profit for over a year or two by doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread