Say hello to my lil friend

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
i'm crate training her right now how do you guys deal with a puppy whining in the crate? i know she's young and away from the litter so she's still getting acclimated to the new place but should i be ignoring her until she stops so i dont encourage the whining i'm not too sure if im being too harsh

I would put the crate in a room where she can't see anything that's going on while she's in it. The worst thing you can do is take her out when she starts crying. That only teaches her that she'll be let out if she whines. Sometimes it can just be painful to listen to them cry, while wanting to kill them at the same time, but it will eventually stop. My Boxer would cry when I left the house and put him in his crate, but it stopped after a bit. Now he doesn't cry at all and willingly goes in his cage when I have to leave.

03cobrah

Established Member
I would put the crate in a room where she can't see anything that's going on while she's in it. The worst thing you can do is take her out when she starts crying. That only teaches her that she'll be let out if she whines. Sometimes it can just be painful to listen to them cry, while wanting to kill them at the same time, but it will eventually stop. My Boxer would cry when I left the house and put him in his crate, but it stopped after a bit. Now he doesn't cry at all and willingly goes in his cage when I have to leave.

thanks for the info she stops when i walk up to her and gives me those big puppy eyes then just kicks up again ughh its frustrating i dont know when she'll stop. just now she was whining and i could hear her thrash around her two piece puppy bowl (water/food) i walked up and right when i walked up she stopped with the bowl in her mouth like she knew what she was doing was bad so i just took the bowl away from her. is that right?

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
Congrats! Not trying to highjack, but the gf and i are excited on our new pup. Boston Terrier, she was 9 weeks on wed. Her name is Ruby.

208954_402122979833537_1914362320_n.jpg

smitty2919

Established Member
Don't let her out when she is whining in the crate. Like someone else said, it will teach them that when they whine/bark you come to their rescue when they don't like something.

Now if the dog is pissed off or scared, you will be able to tell the different barks.

She has to learn to like the crate and that is her "home". Also don't leave bowls in the crate. Especially water since she will be wanting to drink it. With that comes unexpected peeing in the house. Feed her at breakfast/dinner time then take the bowls away. that way you can control her peeing to a degree.

Crate training to the point your dog doesn't mind the crate will be your best friend. Mine hates the crate and actually broke his took in half with a big wire crate...like I said he was a shelter dog so I don't know how he was brought up around crates.

This is EXACTLY what my dog would do in the same kind of crate. From pawing up a blaket/pad to the biting etc.
Dog breaks out of cage - YouTube

03cobrah

Established Member
thanks smitty i just saw your reply. damn that dog getting through that cage is crazy!!!! i never thought anything could get out through the corners. i mean i've seen dogs unlatch those kinds of crates before.

update: she's getting better at the crate thing she wines but doesnt bark that much i only open it when she's calm unless i know she eliminated in there or needs to. it really sucks waking up every 2-3hrs in the night to take her out and she doesn't eliminate but when you wake up in the morning its all up in there like wtfffuuu. not gonna lie it kind of gets frustrating

mr-proper

Established Member
crate training is bullshit! i hate that people lock they dogs up in a little space like that!! he can barely move in a crate!! my boxer mix (69lbs) sleep s in our bed with us! she is a family member tu US! when we are at work (for 8-10 hours ) she stays in the house and can be confy on the couch, bed, floor wherever she wants to !!! she doenst do anything, she is always with us! she doenst run away, dont need a leash and she lovessss to go into the pool and chasing SQUIRLLS :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread