Say hello to my lil friend

03cobrah

Established Member
Say hello to Roxie:

142a7ae.jpg

Just bought a female boxer puppy! i have always wanted a dog so this will be my first puppy and boxer. i've always wanted a boxer since i was a child and will hopefully be able to train her. i know there's a lot of dog owners and boxer owners here and would like some input. i've been looking at clickers for training and am thinking about using them, at the moment i'm trying to crate train her with treats and of course potty train her to go outside she likes to do her business on the concrete though and is always hesitant to go on the grass when unless i walk on the grass as well. would it be too early to put her on a leash? when i do she just sits there looking at me like what the hell man!? lemme know what you guys think. btw i think she looks pretty skinny i bought her on april 24 so she's about 2 months old i would say give or take.

03cobrah

Established Member
here's a better pic
2yy1r45.jpg
she has fleas so i'm thinking of going to petsmart or walmart and getting a flea comb and some alcohol ect.

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member
nice dog. idk if she's too young but that Advantage stuff works great for fleas

Last edited:

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Things like the leash and where to go potty, in my opinion, are better taught as young as possible. That way YOU can teach them, instead of them learning their own habit then having to break them from it. I have a corgi that didnt want to walk on a leash when he was a pup. I would take him out to the yard and put the leash on him then walk in front of him and get down on the ground and make the usual playful noises to get him to run to me. After he got used to that we would play fetch with the collar and short leash on just to further enforce the fact that the collar/leash isnt meant to immobilize him. Now he walks perfectly with or without a leash right next to me.

smitty2919

Established Member
I never owned a dog from being a pup. I picked up a shelter dog that is prob lab/hound/boxer mis and was guesstimated at 7month..was 35lbs or so. My wife and I treat trained him to sit, stay, go in the crate, to sit when walking on a leash and we stop for traffic etc.

From what I have read/learned/been told is to keep repetition. Do the same motions or say the same things when you want them to do something. We can go for a walk with my dog on a grass field and until I say "go potty" he will walk on a leash as if we are on the street. One "go potty" is said, he is nose down to the grass searching for places to go pee/poo. Choose a word or phrase that isn't in your normal vocabulary.

Always be the Alpha-dog of her, have her look to you for commands/guidence. I have read a lot since our dog had/has separation anxiety when we are away ONLY while kept in a crate, and some people say it's because he sees himself as the leader and gets worked up when the "pack" (my wife and I) leave without his permission.

Do things like walk through a doorway first when going outside or inside. Don't let her walk in front of you on a leash. Keep one step ahead of her while walking. She is obviously young, but my dog responded very well to treat training and positive renforcement when doing things we wanted from him.

The more "rules/guidelines" you can bestow in her now the better. Make the crate her "sanctuary" and a place she LIKES to go. Feed her in there, let her feel safe and sleep in there and you SHOULDN"T have issues with crating. My dog had an unkown past so we ran into crating issues with him.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
cutie lol reminds me, i need to take my yorkie to get groomed damn it

03cobrah

Established Member
Thanks guys. I think she will be max 70lbs . I would like to keep her as a indoor dog so i plan on being consistent with her. She follows me everywhere for the most part i just cant tell when she needs to poo/pee cause she will run off and do the deed really quick. How are your bills for taking care of dogs? Are they extremely high? I just want a good companion.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
I got my Boxer puppy at the beginning of April and the most important thing is positive reinforcement. That pretty much goes for every type of dog but I have found that smacking him around when he does something bad doesn't have nearly the effect of overly praising him when he does something good. He is 5 1/2 months old now and I take him outside without a leash, without worry that he'll run off. He pees on command, is completely house trained, will sit, lay down, shake, and give a high five. I feed him an all raw diet which is the best thing to do imo (I can't stand reading dog food labels since it's pretty much all animal byproducts and chemicals) since I know exactly what he's eating and that he's as healthy as can be. I'm just a few months ahead of you so feel free to ask any questions... he's the third Boxer I've raised and they're all goofy SOBs.

smitty2919

Established Member
Thanks guys. I think she will be max 70lbs . I would like to keep her as a indoor dog so i plan on being consistent with her. She follows me everywhere for the most part i just cant tell when she needs to poo/pee cause she will run off and do the deed really quick. How are your bills for taking care of dogs? Are they extremely high? I just want a good companion.

I buy a 50lb bag of Nutro Max for my dog...he's hovering right around 40lbs which is a good weight for him. He doesn't need any meds and has no issues and pretty much costs me $35ish every other month or so for food. He gets 1.5 cups of food morning and night...so 3 cups total a day. I started with a $70 wire dog crate until he broke it t the point I needed to get a new one since he scratched his face on an exposed wire....Then bought a plastic one at another $70 with only a wire door and he started chewing on any plastic corner he could find...given enough time he would have got through it. We have a Thundershirt for him....does jack shit for us, and also muzzle him to not chew on anything.

He only freaks out when we are away and he is crated. When we put the thundershit and muzzle on him but leave him out during the day, I come home and he is just laying at the top of the stairs with no isses at all lol.

I got my Boxer puppy at the beginning of April and the most important thing is positive reinforcement. That pretty much goes for every type of dog but I have found that smacking him around when he does something bad doesn't have nearly the effect of overly praising him when he does something good. He is 5 1/2 months old now and I take him outside without a leash, without worry that he'll run off. He pees on command, is completely house trained, will sit, lay down, shake, and give a high five. I feed him an all raw diet which is the best thing to do imo (I can't stand reading dog food labels since it's pretty much all animal byproducts and chemicals) since I know exactly what he's eating and that he's as healthy as can be. I'm just a few months ahead of you so feel free to ask any questions... he's the third Boxer I've raised and they're all goofy SOBs.

x100000000...we didn't really know what kind of dog ours was at first so we just went with what the shelter told us of lab/hound...then we started playing with him and let him play with a full Boxer...OMG they looked like brothers with how they prance their paws out and prance around lol.

My wife and I looked at eachother and went "I guess he has some boxer in him too!" LOL

Oh, another thing to help with separation anxiety, practice leaving for a minute, then come back. Leave for 5 min then come back. leave for 15 min then come back and so on. When you come back, don't awknowledge her. Just go about your bussiness. Just make it seem like your return is nothing special, that way it will be easier when you leave. After 5 min of being home THEN let her out to go potty/play around.

03cobrah

Established Member
cool. thanks for the tip smitty! ive been having an issue with trying to time when she needs to poo/pee just a moment ago i caught her peeing on my hardwood floor! i grabbed her and took her outside and stood there. she laid on the grass and just looked at me like she was about to go sleep, i didn't want her to think we were playing though i just kinda didn't acknowledge her but was watching her. i didn't think she needed to go anymore so i went back to my door and was saying, "come roxie" she seemed to always respond and follow me this time she didn't she turned away and took a liquid shit lol. i tried to get her a treat but she wouldn't take it and i just tried to praise her the best i could. was i doing it right? kinda hard to catch her before the act

smitty2919

Established Member
Well the younger the dog, it seems the worse their bladder...obviously. So after she eats maybe a half hour later just go outside with her until she goes the bathroom and keep saying your phrase to get her to go the bathroom. Then praise her when she does.

You want her to learn going the bathroom outside NOT inside. So when you keep taking her onto grass to do her bussiness, she will learn that grass = bathroom break. It will be tricky with anticipating bathroom breaks, so I would just jump the gun.

At first I would take my dog out to go the bathroom an hour after he ate. I would not let him sniff/stop on the street/concrete until we hit grass. Then I kept repeating "go potty" over and over and over, when he started to poo I would not say a word, let him finish then praise him. Worked great for me.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I've been a fan of crate training when it comes to helping the dogs hold their pee and poop. But every dog is different, as I am learning with our GS lol. Our boxer responds very well with those peanut butter treats as far as training to do tricks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One of our neighbors recently bought a boxer pup. Cute little guy, just like yours. I'm sure he has a great home. Congrats!

03cobrah

Established Member
i'm crate training her right now how do you guys deal with a puppy whining in the crate? i know she's young and away from the litter so she's still getting acclimated to the new place but should i be ignoring her until she stops so i dont encourage the whining i'm not too sure if im being too harsh

Sn95Snake

Established Member
i'm crate training her right now how do you guys deal with a puppy whining in the crate? i know she's young and away from the litter so she's still getting acclimated to the new place but should i be ignoring her until she stops so i dont encourage the whining i'm not too sure if im being too harsh

Personally I would teach her that it isn't ok to whine and make noises without a reason while she is young.
Very cute pup though.

Users who are viewing this thread