Scared out of my mind to buy one without an Eaton. KB/Whipple guys enter please

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
LOL at people that do twin screws and Baby it. The car is meant to be driven.

I bought my car BONE stock and have gone through a few combos. If I did it all over again I would find something with mods. Would have saved me a ton of money. Its all about finding the right car. You will be able to tell if its a hack show or not. As for turbo cars being nightmares. That not always the case. Mine runs great and I drive it on every nice day in the summer. I also like my cobra the best when it is above to the 4500K mark! :)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey, that's all that matters then is that you enjoy it. The sound of the whine is intoxicating to me, plus the fact I put it up for winter I can't wait to hop in it and have it put me back in the seat! When it was my DD I rarely got on it, I knew what it can do and that's enough for me. Now that I have a truck I DD, I really miss the pull, the sound, the looks, everything about it.

+1 I agree, I'd rather hear that blower over exhaust any day! Mine also gets stored for about 6 months during winter. It's like driving a new car all over again once spring and nice weather come around.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
This is a valid opinion, but very juvenile. I have a Whipple running at 18psi and have never tracked it, or seriously street raced it. My car is a complete garage queen and I love having the power even if I choose not to beat the daylights out of it. The way I look at it my car will still be badass LONG after most of them are clapped out, beat to death junkers. Each to his own though...

I think beat to death and twice a year to the drag strip to ring it out are two different things. I agree with why have 600rwhp with a twin screw and then "never go over 4k"???? Its a gigantic waste of money IMO. If its tuned right rowing the gears on a freeway on ramp or hitting the track a few times a year is no big deal.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I have had twin screw on mine since 07. Kb 2.2 and now whipple 2.9. Wife and I pretty much dd 8 months out of the year. Never had any issues other than normal maint( clutch, brakes,ect). I Rarely lay into it hard on the street, and I do have a very safe 93octane tune. I alway run higher octane on track days. I think it really depends on how much you trust the guy you are buying off of. If a guy is doing multiple back to back top end pulls even with an eaton that will deprimental IMO.

Last edited:

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
What's the definition of "beating" on a car anyway? I air my car out anytime I hit a straight, open road. I guess I'm beating on my car since I don't have my shift light set at 4 grand? I'll also sit in my driveway and wipe down every square inch of the car with detailer and a microfiber.

That's like Ron Jeremy whipping out his dick and saying "I just use it to pee"

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

cj428mach

Established Member
I wouldn't be afraid to own one. I was afraid of owning a twin screwed car before I bought mine. I bought my car pullied and added the twin screw. I think if you want to buy one take a ride in it and pull a datalog. Anyone that has a twin screw thats taking care of it runs logs. My car is still waiting for a new tune revision from Amazon but at 15lbs I'm getting a 10.8 AFR, 15.75 degrees of timing, and 83% fuel pump duty cycle. Thats about as safe as you can be and nothing to fear.

black 10th vert

Established Member
First of all, I'm not sure who it was that said they have a TS and never hit 4k, but it certainly wasn't me! I just said that I don't pull John Force style clutch dumps at every light, blow donuts, or take it to the track every weekend. I thoroughly enjoy rowing the gears, blasting up freeway ramps, etc., just don't mercilessly hammer the piss out of it like so many youtube videos that I have seen, that's all. My main point to to show the op that just having a TS car does not equate to a thrashed out car with problems. Inmo, a well thought out TS car will be every bit as reliable as a stock Eaton car, with the same potential issues, like clutch, TOB, etc.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
I bought mine with a ton of mods from a member on here. The way everything was put together, I believe that fact that it was never abused. Just be very selective on what and from who you are buying from. I personally wouldn't buy any sort of sports car from anyone under 20 but thata just me.

finaliize

Established Member
OP here sorry I've been working all day.

Let me clarify this car is going to be my daily driver. I dont know if that will change any opinions on whether or not I should get a KB/whipple cobra but it will be driven every day and taken care of like my last Cobra.

I definitely would see some interest in taking it down the strip maybe once or twice to see the numbers but that would be even after I make sure I have an IRS brace.. I want minimal risk for something to go wrong. I loved my terminator to death and took care of it like a baby and never had a problem, or even a scratch on the car.

But basically, yes this will be driven every day it will not be a weekend car. Any different opinions now?

jbou91

Established Member
This is a valid opinion, but very juvenile. I have a Whipple running at 18psi and have never tracked it, or seriously street raced it. My car is a complete garage queen and I love having the power even if I choose not to beat the daylights out of it. The way I look at it my car will still be badass LONG after most of them are clapped out, beat to death junkers. Each to his own though...

Couldn't have said it better myself, but my Whipple is at 15psi :beer:

cobra187

"If you ain't first, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Established Member
When I bought mine the owner still had the stock Eaton on it and it was pullied. He didn't hold back when he said he had raced it. He did say he didn't beat on it when he drove it around to go places in it though, and I totally believe him. He was a 51 year old guy about to retire who totally respected the car. He ran race gas when he went to the track to prevent detonation and to be safe. I can't complain the car has been running two years strong now, and the only time I get on it is at the track and that may be once a year if that.

black 10th vert

Established Member
OP here sorry I've been working all day.

Let me clarify this car is going to be my daily driver. I dont know if that will change any opinions on whether or not I should get a KB/whipple cobra but it will be driven every day and taken care of like my last Cobra.

I definitely would see some interest in taking it down the strip maybe once or twice to see the numbers but that would be even after I make sure I have an IRS brace.. I want minimal risk for something to go wrong. I loved my terminator to death and took care of it like a baby and never had a problem, or even a scratch on the car.

But basically, yes this will be driven every day it will not be a weekend car. Any different opinions now?

No different opinion per se, only that you follow some of the advice already given by trying to get a good feel about how the previous owner maintained and used the car, as well as looking into the history of how many owners it had, doing the obvious Carfax stuff, etc. Also, as mentioned, get a compression check done, and if you actually buy it, take it to a reputable tuner to be sure it is running safely and efficiently. My biggest fear at this point is the age of these cars means that most of them will have been through multiple owners by now, and some of them may have been younger guys that hammered the car badly, or that the car may have been seriously modded, raced, and then de-modded to sell (which happens a lot with these cars mainly because the mods are worth more separately). When I mentioned "younger guys" (18-25, or so), that is not meant to offend anyone because I know we have a lot of members in that age bracket now that the prices have come down a bit, but generally speaking that age bracket tends to be rougher on cars due to general lack of knowledge, experience, and sometimes immaturity which leads to a need to "show off" because of insecurity. That is something to be judged case by case, though, just like the cars themselves because I have known several guys in that bracket that were more mature and mechanically knowledgeable than guys in their 40's! My last piece of advice is to get one tuned at a moderate psi range (generally not exceeding 18-19 psi) so that it can run on straight 93 octane. Anything that needs meth injection, or Torco to run is NOT something you will want as a DD, as that will get old quickly, and could lead to more of those issues you fear. Something in the 12-15 psi range with a TS will be really fun to drive and as reliable as any Eaton inmo as long as the supporting mods are correct, and of course - tune. In the end, you are going to be the one looking at the car(s), and since you have owned one before, you have the advantage of knowing what the car should have, how it should drive, and be able to judge overall condition based on that knowledge. Don't fear buying a modded one, though, because I feel that is the best value going if it was done right. ;-)

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
No different opinion per se, only that you follow some of the advice already given by trying to get a good feel about how the previous owner maintained and used the car, as well as looking into the history of how many owners it had, doing the obvious Carfax stuff, etc. Also, as mentioned, get a compression check done, and if you actually buy it, take it to a reputable tuner to be sure it is running safely and efficiently. My biggest fear at this point is the age of these cars means that most of them will have been through multiple owners by now, and some of them may have been younger guys that hammered the car badly, or that the car may have been seriously modded, raced, and then de-modded to sell (which happens a lot with these cars mainly because the mods are worth more separately). When I mentioned "younger guys" (18-25, or so), that is not meant to offend anyone because I know we have a lot of members in that age bracket now that the prices have come down a bit, but generally speaking that age bracket tends to be rougher on cars due to general lack of knowledge, experience, and sometimes immaturity which leads to a need to "show off" because of insecurity. That is something to be judged case by case, though, just like the cars themselves because I have known several guys in that bracket that were more mature and mechanically knowledgeable than guys in their 40's! My last piece of advice is to get one tuned at a moderate psi range (generally not exceeding 18-19 psi) so that it can run on straight 93 octane. Anything that needs meth injection, or Torco to run is NOT something you will want as a DD, as that will get old quickly, and could lead to more of those issues you fear. Something in the 12-15 psi range with a TS will be really fun to drive and as reliable as any Eaton inmo as long as the supporting mods are correct, and of course - tune. In the end, you are going to be the one looking at the car(s), and since you have owned one before, you have the advantage of knowing what the car should have, how it should drive, and be able to judge overall condition based on that knowledge. Don't fear buying a modded one, though, because I feel that is the best value going if it was done right. ;-)

I really wish guys would post advice based on experience rather than what they have read on this forum. My car is about as "modded" as you can get (Hellion turbo car on meth and the tune is 100% reliant on meth) I DD my car everyday in the summer with ZERO issues. Meth doesn't get used unless your on the gas and in boost. So unless your WOT all the way to work the meth tank stays full when I DD it. Only when I need it is when I use it.

OP you can DD these cars with mods FINE. Twin Screw is no different DDing than an eaton. I would say it actually is better for the car since it is a more efficient blower that makes less heat when you get on it. I DD'ed my 2.3 whipple for 4 years before going turbo. My car has done over 100 track passes and the only thing I have fixed is the rear diff cover blew even with a brace. I am still on stock motor, stock IRS and stock trans and the car has been making 600 +/- RWHP since 2007 and now with 740RWHP all last year. Pull the plugs and compression is fine. Car runs like a champ! So who ever say high HP turbo or TS car are not reliable are doing something wrong.

You need good parts, A good maintenance schedule and MOST IMPORTANT a good TUNE. trust your tuner, I think most of the people you hear blowing shit up on here either have sub par tunes and don't do proper maintenance. Well... Most sometimes shit just lets loose but that's the game we play driving cars like these and that could still happen with the eaton. you got to play to play.

cj428mach

Established Member
How many miles are on your car young gun? Its so cool the way these cars retain drivability while putting out big power.

I kind of agree it has to be easier on my car to be eating cooler air from the Whipple than from the Heaton.

I might get a war started but to the OP I would stay away from KB as well as it seems they need to be rebuilt often. If someone has had a KB'ed car for a while it might be needing a rebuild soon.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
How many miles are on your car young gun? Its so cool the way these cars retain drivability while putting out big power.

I kind of agree it has to be easier on my car to be eating cooler air from the Whipple than from the Heaton.

I might get a war started but to the OP I would stay away from KB as well as it seems they need to be rebuilt often. If someone has had a KB'ed car for a while it might be needing a rebuild soon.

Bought the car with 14,700 miles in '06, steggy 4 within the first month made 494 rwhp. got a new reman motor in early '07 because the first tuner (or I should say TOONER) ate the stock motor @ 16K miles made same power on new motor, Whippled at 19K miles made 570rwhp first safe tune then made 607rwhp on a more aggressive tune at 24K miles, Turbocharged at 43K miles 740RWHP. As of today car has 49K mile and change and still runs excellent. Car still has stock (reman) motor, Stock trans, Stock rear end (rebuilt when my diff cover blew out and It snapped a bearing cap) , stock halfshaft with over 100 track passes. I am MORE than impress with these car. They just take a beating and smile!

As for the KB rebuild comment, My 2.3 whipple has had no issues and is on a buddies car and runs fine. They seem to last longer than KB's.

Last edited:

finaliize

Established Member

Often as in what? If I buy a KB Cobra it will be somewhere between 10-50,000 miles and I plan on keeping it way past 100k..

Avispa

Established Member
The whole point of buying a 9 or 10 year old used car is because these things are for the most part indestructible. I didn't put my Whipple on until the car had 84,000 miles. I beat the stuffing out of it once in a while and it's just fine. I expect it'll still be going strong at 120,000.

I'd be much more concerned about whether the tune was done by a reputable shop that put in a safe, conservative tune. There are tuners that like to tweak things to make great dyno numbers. You can count on an early death for cars tuned like that.

Qwk GT

Established Member

I don't have a t/s, but even so I agree with the above. Some people don't need to go WOT everytime there is an opportunity. Soemtimes I'll go on a cruise w/out ever really pushing it. I did when I was younger, but just don't need to do that everytime to enjoy it anymore.

Generally you can tell when a car has been beat hard in the past, at least IMO. I feel sorry for my first fox body, put that car through hell.

ttk53

Established Member
I don't have a t/s, but even so I agree with the above. Some people don't need to go WOT everytime there is an opportunity. Soemtimes I'll go on a cruise w/out ever really pushing it. I did when I was younger, but just don't need to do that everytime to enjoy it anymore.

Generally you can tell when a car has been beat hard in the past, at least IMO. I feel sorry for my first fox body, put that car through hell.

My point was more about the "never" people say. If your just going to cruise why have 600 hp, get a GT and put an exhaust on it, still sounds good and has power to "cruise". When I drive my car to work its for the fun just a quick 1-2 or 2-3 blast brings smile to my face. If I would drive my car and never go WOT or over 4K I would be wasting money on mods (well any money spend on cars is a waste but I enjoy it)

Users who are viewing this thread