School pf Automotive Machinists

coposrv

Established Member
I would steer him into diesel, diesel marine specifically. Performance sounds great but the rates we’ve seen paid to marine mechanics would make your head spin.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

chao5.0

Established Member
I just graduated SAM and I can tell you much like any other tech school you will get out what you put in. Me personally I was offered 3 jobs in the industry but none matched what I was offered to go back into the petroleum industry doing design work. However I have a few friends that now have their own shops or work for top people in the industry. 1 friend in particular is at Roush Yates right now doing cylinder head work on CUP engines. At the very least I would say take both short block and cylinder head classes, maybe even CNC from a production stand point. Perhaps the biggest gain from that school will be the ability to figure things out, some people can some can't, I've met both in and out of school. If he is serious I would recommend a trip to the school and tour it, they always have some cool stuff going down and depending on what time of year could be either engine refreshing for the COPO's and Cobra Jet's or engine masters or just some students builds or them trying new things on old combos. If I could make close to what I make now I would go do engine building vs designing, but I won't so I just do my thing on the side on weekends.

chao5.0

Established Member
Its not money. Its doing what you enjoy.

That's great and all but here is my outlook on that. I love engine building, every bit of it from machining to assembly and dynoing the combo and swapping parts out to see what works best for a given application. With that said I still have to live, what good is doing what you love if you struggle to make ends meet day to day. Now if your son is young (20's or younger) then starting out in that industry won't be bad, avg pay a year is $40k-$45k starting which isn't bad but it won't make you rich. I went to school to expand my abilities because when the oil industry falls out again I have a backup as well as having the ability to do design work plus I can machine what I design now. They will tell him there as well, don't give up a great opportunity at another career just to keep doing what you love. You can always do what you love, you just don't have to make it your career as well.

Dusten

Established Member
That's great and all but here is my outlook on that. I love engine building, every bit of it from machining to assembly and dynoing the combo and swapping parts out to see what works best for a given application. With that said I still have to live, what good is doing what you love if you struggle to make ends meet day to day. Now if your son is young (20's or younger) then starting out in that industry won't be bad, avg pay a year is $40k-$45k starting which isn't bad but it won't make you rich. I went to school to expand my abilities because when the oil industry falls out again I have a backup as well as having the ability to do design work plus I can machine what I design now. They will tell him there as well, don't give up a great opportunity at another career just to keep doing what you love. You can always do what you love, you just don't have to make it your career as well.

He'll be coming straight out of high school.

Zemedici

Established Member

A good auto technician clears 6 figures EASILY.

Engine builders do the same. Don't sell yourself short. Good work is not cheap. If you are a master at your craft you should never have money woes.

chao5.0

Established Member
A good auto technician clears 6 figures EASILY.

Engine builders do the same. Don't sell yourself short. Good work is not cheap. If you are a master at your craft you should never have money woes.

You're right you can, but I'm already there doing one thing, it would take a few years for me to get back here starting something new. With that said, I still think of starting new regardless because I am happiest doing engine work and when I built mine everything I did was within .0001" tolerance, something I was proud of.

chao5.0

Established Member
He doesnt live with me, and as such has grown pretty poor. To him a couple hundred is a lot.

Besides large scale diesel mechanics is a physically demanding job. Not a lot of old men doing it

Well the school will give him a good start, if will give him a leg up over a lot of people in the industry. As the owner of the school (Jud) will put it, he will be smarter than 80% of the people in the industry, he isn't lying either. If he wants to do that for a living though I say go for it, even if he doesn't stick with engine building the skills you learn there translate to machining in general. One of the instructors left while I was there to go run a machine shop building oil field parts, so it will open him up to a lot of possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread