School taxes

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
67% of our property taxes go to the school system. It's a tax I don't mind paying as long as it's used properly. Unfortunately, we're recently had some high level Board of Education employees/adminstrators do some jail time due to gross misuse of funds while teachers have had to take pay cuts and school resources funding getting slashed.

Many of the county BoEs in southern WV need to be consolidated. There's no reason for Mingo, Logan, Wayne,Wyoming, Lincoln, McDowell, and Boone Counties to all have separate BoEs. All combined they have a population of ~198,000 people. Horry County here in SC has over 300,000 people. Seems like some efficiencies could be found by eliminating overlapping bureaucracy.

jaxbusa

Established Member
I don’t think I should have to pay. I don’t have kids and don’t plan to. The picture some of you are painting sounds great. Good schools, educated children and less crime because of it. If this were true I might donate money to schools. I understand that might be the case where you live. My high school was more of a pre-prison facility. The year before I went to high school a kid was robbed and shot in the head while waiting on his parents to pick him up. In middle school a kid failed so many times he was old enough to drive to school. I got to see kids bussed in, eat breakfast, eat lunch, disrupt classes, steal stuff, get bussed home and my tax paying parents paying the bill. Absolutely ridiculous. It’s just daycare we’re all paying for. I’m not heartless. I don’t want kids to go hungry. I think teachers are underpaid. Parents should be held accountable for having kids. The home is where successful citizens were taught.

This is an argument to the “you pay taxes for roadways” people. Where I live taxes pay for public transportation, but public transportation is not free to use. You pay however much each time you get on a bus. The more you ride, the more you spend. I think the educational system should be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I don’t think I should have to pay. I don’t have kids and don’t plan to. The picture some of you are painting sounds great. Good schools, educated children and less crime because of it. If this were true I might donate money to schools. I understand that might be the case where you live. My high school was more of a pre-prison facility. The year before I went to high school a kid was robbed and shot in the head while waiting on his parents to pick him up. In middle school a kid failed so many times he was old enough to drive to school. I got to see kids bussed in, eat breakfast eat lunch, disrupt classes, steal stuff, get bussed home and my tax paying parents paying the bill. Absolutely ridiculous. It’s just daycare we’re all paying for. I’m not heartless. I don’t want kids to go hungry. I think teachers are underpaid. Parents should be held accountable for having kids. The home is where successful citizens were taught.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
So it was ok for you to get educated at taxpayer expense? As you state, you went to school, was it private?

Me with a mop is like a frog riding a bicycle.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Believe me when I say that you don't want to live in an uneducated society.

Poverty would be rampant, as well as crime.

All the public places you like to visit would disappear.

Think of it like paying for public services such as fire, police, roads.

jaxbusa

Established Member
So it was ok for you to get educated at taxpayer expense? As you state, you went to school, was it private?

My parents were taxpayers and used a service they were paying for. If they didn’t have children in school they shouldn’t have had to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

This. Just because some students waste their free education doesn't mean it shouldn't be available to all.
My parents were taxpayers and I used a service they were paying for. If they didn’t have children in school they shouldn’t have had to pay.

If it was setup like you suggest your parents would have likely not been able to afford to send you to school. If only people with kids paid then where are you going to make up the loss of funds?

Coiled03

Established Member
Believe me when I say that you don't want to live in an uneducated society.

Poverty would be rampant, as well as crime.

All the public places you like to visit would disappear.

Think of it like paying for public services such as fire, police, roads.

Yeah, it's called the inner cities, and the ghettos. We already have those.

jaxbusa

Established Member
This. Just because some students waste their free education doesn't mean it shouldn't be available to all.

If it was setup like you suggest your parents would have likely not been able to afford to send you to school. If only people with kids paid then where are you going to make up the loss of funds?

My parents could afford it, but if they couldn’t they should have had their wages garnished. Make people who have kids in school pay for it. Our state lottery is going to it. Maybe cut after school programs. Schools here have several half days where they let kids out at 12PM. Why? Busses have to run to and from for 4 hours of school. Come on.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I am paying roughly 5,200 a year in real estate tax that goes to the school. I don't mind it as we have great schools and that is what keeps our property values higher than other towns near us.
Property tax in general is pure bullshit. If you own the property you own the property. Government overreach.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I interpreted your post as suggesting we don't already have evidence of what happens with an uneducated society. My apologies if I read it wrong.
Actually, I didn't. I was referring to third world countries. But, when you mentioned the blighted inner city areas, I realized it was a great example.

Kudos sir.

Edit: which really makes you realize how easily we overlook our country's own problems.

Last edited:

jaxbusa

Established Member
IMG_0900.JPG

T.Man

Established Member
[bcolor=transparent]
My parents could afford it, but if they couldn’t they should have had their wages garnished. Make people who have kids in school pay for it.
[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent][/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]I couldn't agree more. I also believe there should be a head-tax as well. The more children you have going to public schools, the more you pay. The Education Administrations are so bloated and ridiculously fraught with waste, that most of the extra money that comes in either goes to more admin bloat or is pissed away. Teachers are no doubt underpaid and lack all of the necessary resources.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]For those that will ask, I do have children and I do sacrifice to pay for their schooling. I refuse to just throw them into a broken system and hope for the best.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]For those that keep saying that paying more taxes to an already bloated system for the benefit of an "educated populace", just take a look at our standing on the world stage. We spend an insane amount of money on education, I believe in the top 5 of all developed nations, and what do we have to show for it? Our test scores are abysmal, education is continuously being dumbed down in the name of "social justice" and "fairness" (common core, no child left behind, etc.) but yet you guys think throwing more money at it will fix it?[/bcolor]

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
The same people bitchin seem to forget they were a child in school once. Pay it forward.

I went to 12 years of private school. Guess my parents got screwed having to pay taxes and private tuition...

Since I'm paying 10k a year in school tax, why can't the school supply my boys with iPads? Why do I have to buy one for each of them?

If I was paying .5% instead of 1.52% I wouldn't mind, but with my district buried in debt they need to stop trying to build grade school campuses like Notre Dame and focus on cutting the debt.

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
.. with my district buried in debt they need to stop trying to build grade school campuses like Notre Dame and focus on cutting the debt.

Public sector unions have ZERO interest in cutting debt. They are, however, focused like a million-watt laser beam on devious and innovative ways to extract more money from property taxpayers.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I went to 12 years of private school. Guess my parents got screwed having to pay taxes and private tuition...

Since I'm paying 10k a year in school tax, why can't the school supply my boys with iPads? Why do I have to buy one for each of them?

If I was paying .5% instead of 1.52% I wouldn't mind, but with my district buried in debt they need to stop trying to build grade school campuses like Notre Dame and focus on cutting the debt.
White privilege, not everyone can afford that.

tistan

Established Member
No, schools are overpriced and they are turning out incapable idiots. That translates to a poor labor pool. I find people, who try to tell me that my tax dollar going to the local schools is a benefit to me and the community, are either dishonest or ignorant of reality.

Coiled03

Established Member
[bcolor=transparent]I couldn't agree more. I also believe there should be a head-tax as well. The more children you have going to public schools, the more you pay. The Education Administrations are so bloated and ridiculously fraught with waste, that most of the extra money that comes in either goes to more admin bloat or is pissed away. Teachers are no doubt underpaid and lack all of the necessary resources.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]For those that will ask, I do have children and I do sacrifice to pay for their schooling. I refuse to just throw them into a broken system and hope for the best.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]For those that keep saying that paying more taxes to an already bloated system for the benefit of an "educated populace", just take a look at our standing on the world stage. We spend an insane amount of money on education, I believe in the top 5 of all developed nations, and what do we have to show for it? Our test scores are abysmal, education is continuously being dumbed down in the name of "social justice" and "fairness" (common core, no child left behind, etc.) but yet you guys think throwing more money at it will fix it?[/bcolor]

So, what's your solution? Do you honestly think cutting funding will improve our standing on the world stage? I agree school districts are inefficient as hell. But cutting their funding isn't the way to improve the quality of education.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
No, schools are overpriced and they are turning out incapable idiots. That translates to a poor labor pool. I find people, who try to tell me that my tax dollar going to the local schools is a benefit to me and the community, are either dishonest or ignorant of reality.

My kids are so far carry some water for ya. Fingers crossed they do not get bored in the class.

I usually give about 300 dollars to each teacher at the beginning of the school year. To include music and art. This year I may hit the physical education teacher too. Sort of overlooked them in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread