School taxes

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
This year I may hit the physical education teacher too. Sort of overlooked them in the past.

Me with a mop is like a frog riding a bicycle.

I remember my old man dropping the not so subtle hint to coach powers that I needed to work on my pull-ups, as in he should make me do a lot more of them. This really has nothing to do with this thread, but your post oddly took me on a trip down memory lane...lol

Last edited:

jaxbusa

Established Member
So, what's your solution? Do you honestly think cutting funding will improve our standing on the world stage? I agree school districts are inefficient as hell. But cutting their funding isn't the way to improve the quality of education.

My solution is to not have kids and keep people with kids out of my pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Most likely you are paying them either directly or indirectly. What are your thoughts on this? Should you be required to pay them if you have no kids or kids who are no longer in the public school system? I'm actually on the fence with this.
Great post and great question.
I go back and forth on this one too being single with no kids.

jaxbusa

Established Member
Wish your parents were smart enough to do the same.

Hahaha. Looks like someone can’t handle a truth bomb. Sad you can’t even communicate in a civilized manner. And this is the guy that wants me to pay for his kids to go to school.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Hahaha. Looks like someone can’t handle a truth bomb. Sad you can’t even communicate in a civilized manner.

Yeah, like telling parents not to have kids. Sounds like I have heard that before. Communist China? Nazi Germany? Forced sterilization circa 1950s USA?

Black2010

Established Member
My solution is to not have kids and keep people with kids out of my pockets.

So what do you think would happen to the economy as the current generations die off and their were no offspring from people?

I get your mentality but the better argument to fight about "keep out of my pocket" is more inline with all the funding that goes towards WIC, Disabled, etc. Some "need" the help but the abuse in just those two fields would change the budgets.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
So, what's your solution? Do you honestly think cutting funding will improve our standing on the world stage? I agree school districts are inefficient as hell. But cutting their funding isn't the way to improve the quality of education.

I'm glad more people see the big picture and not just the one view that selfishly envolves only their wallet.

Cutting funding is not the solution. Making better efficient use of the funds is a welcome change and needed.

Off topic a little but we all pay into the income tax system too just like the schools. It's tiered similarly. The amount of income tax I personally pay equals what many consider to be a great salary and my wife doesn't work either. How is it fair I pay a higher percentage on those upper income dollars? It's not much different than the people that live in the next neighborhood over and pay half the property tax I do yet their kids get to go to the same school as mine. I mean if I'm paying double then why shouldn't my kids be getting better educations than theirs? Of course all of that is sarcasm.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
You could start with getting school back to being learning institutions instead of baby sitters. I am going way back but when I went to school there was dress codes. You could not wear jeans and t-shirts and girls had to wear skirts. No logos allowed. Probably would not need to go to that extreme but having some kind of dress code would be a start. I know there would be screaming about holding back jr.s ability to express himself but so what. Have a code of conduct and enforce it. No more cussing the teachers or even assaulting them. Assault a teacher call juvi and have them hauled off. Get rid of the trouble makers and make it a learning environment for the rest.

VegasMichael

Established Member
My two sisters and I all attended private schools but Dad never complained about school taxes and they were fairly high where we lived in NY State and Pennsylvania. I've taught in the public school system for 25 years and the amount of money that's wasted would make you scream. Aside from that I would be interested in a sliding school tax scale of sorts. For instance, if you have no kids or they don't go to public school then you pay, say, 1%. If you have kids then maybe you pay 1.2% for two or less kids, 1.4% for 3-4 kids and so on and so forth.

T.Man

Established Member

Not at all. I don't think cutting the funding is what's necessary. I think a complete restructuring of the Administration system is what's needed. I believe the entire Department of Education should be abolished and push education back to the States. Let States decide on how best to educate their own populace, rather than a Federal decree from some garbage, bloated and ineffective Federal Department.

I'm glad more people see the big picture and not just the one view that selfishly envolves only their wallet.

Cutting funding is not the solution. Making better efficient use of the funds is a welcome change and needed.

It's honestly not about my wallet and being selfish. It has everything to do with the fact that no matter how much I'm taxed or choose to give, nothing will change without a complete restructuring of the current education system. Far too much money goes to administrative bureaucracy and far too little to actual meaningful education.
[bcolor=transparent][/bcolor]
[bcolor=transparent]
[/bcolor]
Off topic a little but we all pay into the income tax system too just like the schools. It's tiered similarly. The amount of income tax I personally pay equals what many consider to be a great salary and my wife doesn't work either. How is it fair I pay a higher percentage on those upper income dollars? It's not much different than the people that live in the next neighborhood over and pay half the property tax I do yet their kids get to go to the same school as mine. I mean if I'm paying double then why shouldn't my kids be getting better educations than theirs? Of course all of that is sarcasm.

The tax system shouldn't penalize success. Just because you're fortunate enough (hard working too, I would easily assume) to earn a good living, doesn't mean you're automatically assumed to have to pay more either. Progressive taxation is absolute horse shit. So to answer your question, it's not fair. It's not fair that you've invested a bunch of time, energy and hard work only to have it taken from you at a greater rate than someone else who was less driven.

You could start with getting school back to being learning institutions instead of baby sitters. I am going way back but when I went to school there was dress codes. You could not wear jeans and t-shirts and girls had to wear skirts. No logos allowed. Probably would not need to go to that extreme but having some kind of dress code would be a start. I know there would be screaming about holding back jr.s ability to express himself but so what. Have a code of conduct and enforce it. No more cussing the teachers or even assaulting them. Assault a teacher call juvi and have them hauled off. Get rid of the trouble makers and make it a learning environment for the rest.

Great idea(s).

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Are taxpayers getting their monies worth? No! Schooling is one of our family's biggest expenses. From paying taxes in 2 states one being NY where they bill you directly for school funds, then living in the burbs of NVa. We chose private school and now have two boys in PS. With the wife taxiing back and forth 20 miles each way. Thing is, it's worth it. My kids can hold a conversation with any elderly person and both are little gentlemen. Vouchers, I believe would fix public schools, but that's another topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaxbusa

Established Member
So what do you think would happen to the economy as the current generations die off and their were no offspring from people?

I get your mentality but the better argument to fight about "keep out of my pocket" is more inline with all the funding that goes towards WIC, Disabled, etc. Some "need" the help but the abuse in just those two fields would change the budgets.

In that event the economy would tank, but people will not stop having children. I appreciate your acknowledgment of my position. I know people abuse assistance programs, but we need them and we need to help our disabled population. I especially feel for the parents with kids that have special needs. That has to be a full time job and very stressful. Don’t stop having kids, just don’t get mad when someone who doesn’t isn’t happy about paying for yours. People need to be held accountable.

tistan

Established Member
Average cost to send a kid to public school in America is $10k. How can anyone say we're getting the results equal to that kind of spending. Every school they build cost around $50 million and is state of the art. How can anyone say it isn't time to cut school budgets is beyond me.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
If I didn't have to pay $10k in school taxes for my boys to get a crappy education, they'd be going to private school. But I'm not going to pay double just because public school tax is mandatory.

The elementary 'campus' they just built near me must have cost a fortune. I heard it was almost $100 million to build.

11b6lmu.jpg

If I'm paying $10,000 in school tax I expect the school to provide my kid with an iPad and supplies. Stop having dress like a super hero day or dress like your favorite cartoon character and focus on teaching/learning. All this fluff is ridiculous.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
don't ever let anyone tell you teachers are underpaid. they are paid very well, esp considering the hours/months they are contracted for. there are also excellent benefits, many perks, and lots of potential for extra duty earnings.

the reason that budgets become bloated is program inefficiency and wasteful spending (just like any government agency, i would imagine.)

i have firsthand experience with this because i was a classified and certificated payroll administrator for public school districts here in california.

but, as others have said, the alternative of all home or all private schooling would probably be disastrous. have you seen that weird family of 13 out here that "home schooled" all their kids? something tells me they won't be becoming contributing members of society anytime soon lol.

MFE

Established Member
i have firsthand experience with this because i was a classified and certificated payroll administrator for public school districts here in california.

California might be so much more like a different country as far as taxes, state funding, and benefits go that your experience is practically irrelevant to most of the rest of the country. In most of the rest of the country, teachers are, by and large, underpaid for the totality of the time and effort and expense they put into their work, and especially for the disciplinary free-for-all we ask so many of them to work in.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
What ever happened to getting another job if you want more money?
California might be so much more like a different country as far as taxes, state funding, and benefits go that your experience is practically irrelevant to most of the rest of the country. In most of the rest of the country, teachers are, by and large, underpaid for the totality of the time and effort and expense they put into their work, and especially for the disciplinary free-for-all we ask so many of them to work in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread