School taxes

MFE

Established Member
What ever happened to getting another job if you want more money?

How can we count how many people who would make fantastic teachers, have done exactly that"

Now...Do the words "you get what you pay for" mean anything?

I'm anti teacher-union and I'm sick about how much more money goes to administration than to teaching, I'm just saying, if anybody wants to crow about teachers being "overpaid", they're living in an alternate reality.

Black2010

Established Member
don't ever let anyone tell you teachers are underpaid. they are paid very well, esp considering the hours/months they are contracted for. there are also excellent benefits, many perks, and lots of potential for extra duty earnings.

the reason that budgets become bloated is program inefficiency and wasteful spending (just like any government agency, i would imagine.)

i have firsthand experience with this because i was a classified and certificated payroll administrator for public school districts here in california.

How can you say that with a straight face coming from a place that is pushing for (and received in several instances) $15 an hour min wage. Where I live we haven't reached $15 but $12 is the normal min wage for fast food and other rudimentary jobs. So someone working at McDonalds working 40 hours a week would bank $27K a year. A teachers starting salary where I live is $36K a year so we are saying a teacher is only $9K a year more valuable than a fast food counter worker?

You hint on the "hours worked" topic which makes me challenge your "firsthand experience" as you then show no clue what actually happens vs what is shown on a piece of paper in front of you. A teachers contract may stipulate a specific number of hours but they can't physically work that few with Professional Developments added alone, not to mention real time real work adds that are necessary to do the job. This just further prooves the disconnect between Admin and teachers. For instance: My wife is currently a 2nd grade teacher and gets to work at 6:45am and leaves at 4:30pm Monday through Friday. Then works on average 2 hours a night to get through all the paperwork and other crap they must do in order to provide a decent education for your kids (lesson plans take time you know). Then over the summer she has mandatory training's during 2-3 of the 8 weeks she has off for summers. So, let's just say, she puts in every bit of the 2,080 hours a normal 40 hours per week person puts in. She's not the exception but the norm in our district. Those not putting in this time are the teachers you DO NOT want your kid to have.

So you are saying our teachers aren't valued much more than a McDonalds "would you like fries with that" level worker? Oh, it gets worse. The head football coach at our High School is paid over 6 figures and has no classes (like most coaches are required to have). So a football coach is more valuable than 3 teachers. Yup, that sounds right.....

Black2010

Established Member
What ever happened to getting another job if you want more money?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Some things are more important than money. A wise man once told me, "If you pick your profession by the size of your paycheck you will not live a very happy life." I'll never admit he's wise to his face as it was my father but he couldn't have been more right.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
So, what's your solution? Do you honestly think cutting funding will improve our standing on the world stage? I agree school districts are inefficient as hell. But cutting their funding isn't the way to improve the quality of education.

The solution IMHO is quite clear. You gotta kill the public sector unions off. The system needs to be privatized with the taxpayers non-union representatives in firm control. Then, and only then, can accountability measures be put in place. Deadbeat teachers can be fired, costs can be trimmed, and good (or even better) salaries for teachers can be maintained.

T.Man

Established Member
The solution IMHO is quite clear. You gotta kill the public sector unions off. The system needs to be privatized with the taxpayers non-union representatives in firm control. Then, and only then, can accountability measures be put in place. Deadbeat teachers can be fired, costs can be trimmed, and good (or even better) salaries for teachers can be maintained.

Well said. Agreed.

Coiled03

Established Member

I'll drink to that. Public unions need to be demolished. I don't know if that would solve the issues with public education, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

jaxbusa

Established Member
Some things are more important than money. A wise man once told me, "If you pick your profession by the size of your paycheck you will not live a very happy life." I'll never admit he's wise to his face as it was my father but he couldn't have been more right.

I couldn’t agree more. When I was 20 years old I worked as a helper in a body shop. The guy I was working with was a Vietnam veteran and a very interesting person. The body shop was swamped with work. I asked him if we were working Saturday and he told me, “If you can’t make a living in 40 hours you need to do something else.” That stuck with me.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'll drink to that. Public unions need to be demolished. I don't know if that would solve the issues with public education, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
Want to solve the problem with public schools? Have parents start giving a crap about their kids.

Me with a mop is like a frog riding a bicycle.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Want to solve the problem with public schools? Have parents start giving a crap about their kids.

There's also been a huge sea change in the parent kid relationship. Many have discarded the role of disciplinarian and have instead decided to be friend and advocate. We need to get the disciplinarian factor back into the game.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Districts such as mine don't have traditional unions per se, we have associations. I am in a right to work state. I cannot strike. Which means I have no funds to support me via the union. I am okay with that.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I am in a right to work state.
All states are right to work now.

And I told my kids as soon as they were able to understand that I'm not their best friend, I'm their father. Being their best friend would be the easy way out.

rkkcobra

Established Member
The problem with public school system in general is no tax breaks for the families that home school...complete BS. My kids go to public school system but my wife is a stay at home mother (no tax deductions) but if my wife worked and paid for after school or day care then I could deduct those expenses. You get double screwed of you hone school...still pay for public school taxes and get 0 tax deductions. BS

Sent from my SM-G900V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
There's also been a huge sea change in the parent kid relationship. Many have discarded the role of disciplinarian and have instead decided to be friend and advocate. We need to get the disciplinarian factor back into the game.
But what it does is lets you know when a teacher is sub standard. The current trend is for the kids to get nice homework packets.

A parents interest in their kids goes a long way to make a kid understand learning is very important.

The other way is to cross your fingers and hope some dumb teacher does not screw your kid up.

I do not know how many parents I have run into that complain about the education system and have never met their kids teachers.

MFE

Established Member
The problem with public school system in general is no tax breaks for the families that home school...complete BS. My kids go to public school system but my wife is a stay at home mother (no tax deductions) but if my wife worked and paid for after school or day care then I could deduct those expenses. You get double screwed of you hone school...still pay for public school taxes and get 0 tax deductions. BS

It's the exact same thing with private shools, Whiny McWhinealot

MFE

Established Member
I do not know how many parents I have run into that complain about the education system and have never met their kids teachers.

Meanwhile, many of those that do meet the teachers are going there to bitch at them about how dare they treat their little angel that way.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Meanwhile, many of those that do meet the teachers are going there to bitch at them about how dare they treat their little angel that way.
This

Users who are viewing this thread