Science Question #2.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Sorry to borrow your thunder here Jim (trust me I'll return in later).

I have a science question of my own for you guys today. It was inspired by an Astro homework set from college. I'll put the question in its simplest form.

There is a single, simple physical principle which eliminates the possibility for a real-life Death Star. That is to say, one with the principles shown in both A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. What is it?

There are other, partially correct answers, but there is only 1 root answer.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I was gonna also say gravity, but only that its too complicated to have an object that big and keep it from hitting other planets/moons :shrug:

where is Jim Snover??

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
I would also have to say something to do with Gravity to some extent but not too sure. Haven't learned this in college yet.

stangin99

Established Member
I would have to guess that such a large object would naturally be in orbit around something (sun, larger planet, etc).

To be able to navigate and move such a thing in and out of it's own orbit would take an astronomical amount of energy.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I would have to guess that such a large object would naturally be in orbit around something (sun, larger planet, etc).

To be able to navigate and move such a thing in and out of it's own orbit would take an astronomical amount of energy.

You would think so, but comets can be the size of planets, and they move about.

The Death Star actually should have created its own gravitational field based on how large it is. Hell even people create their own gravity, but we aren't large enough for it to matter (is my understanding).

I would think the law of conservation of matter, based on the fact that if you fired the super lazer you would offset the momentum of the main object (DS), thus thrusting it into a different direction.

Edit: I would also think that by creating its own gravitational field, it would simply be pulled into whatever planet it got near, unless it was capable of aligning with some sort of linear orbit.

Could you imagine driving the ****ing Death Star? "Hey man where's the Captain? He's racked out dude. Sweet can we run though In&Out I'm craving a triple animal ....."

Last edited:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I did not know lazers had recoil :shrug:

err,., at least that's what I remember from 5th grade :-D

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
why you would have a spherical ship and still have flat decks? Youd think if you were going to create a gravity field in a spherical ship.......youd have spherical decks.

diagram.gif

How 8 beams of light/lasers can merge into one focused spot and shoot outward?

6a00d834543b6069e20120a8946512970b-800wi

Lightsabers.....how light can perpetuate from a source and then just stop in midair.....

lightsaber.jpg

Prolly not the right answers, but they bring about some interesting falseties. At least when star trek uses technology, theres a reality behind it, and more often than not, a possibility of it becoming a reality.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I did not know lazers had recoil :shrug:

err,., at least that's what I remember from 5th grade :-D

You are right and I explained what I was thinking wrongly because I am a retard about physics.

I would imagine the super laser as either a focused particle beam, or an anti gravitational beam. The anti gravitational beam (which is the direction I was leaning) would literally reverse the gravitational force pushing the planet apart. However I would think that this would also directly affect the inertia of the Death Star itself, thus throwing it off course.

I suppose it could just be a particle beam weapon, but I couldn't imagine being able to create the necessary power, (which would be several times greater than the sun), without actually toasting the station itself. Or rather, how you would contain that kind of energy. You would need some kind of self perpetuating energy in order to sustain the build up for fire, and what the **** could harness it?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
The whole scene with Luke making out with his sister creeps me out anyway. Where are we going with this thread?

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Comets orbit, why do you think Halley's Comet comes back every 76 or however many years?

No, they have hyperdrives...same difference?

I wasn't under the impression that we had 100% certainty that every comet orbits something. I understand halley's comet orbits the sun, but do not some rogue comets have no orbit?

Users who are viewing this thread