scratched windshield

trendkilllx

Established Member
any way to get light scratches out of a windshield, also have heavy water spots on crome wheels, tried mothers wheel polish with a drill and after 1 hour only .25 of one wheel is done. Car is an 87 gt.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Polishing glass is a very difficult, long process. And if done wrong you can change the optical transmission of the windshield. You can actually create distortions in the glass.

I have been able to remove wiper scratches by using a felt bob on a drill motor and using Cerium Oxide as a polishing agent to remove the scratches. It took several hours just to eliminate 18" of scratch.

Some people on the car detailing forums have reported using a rotary polisher with wet sandpaper to polish an entire windshield. I believe that they started with 2500 grit, then 3000, then either 5000 or 6000, then went over everything with Cerium Oxide or Rhodium. The only reason that they went to this incredible amount of effort was that the windshield was no longer available as a replacement and no good used one could be found.

trendkilllx

Established Member
may replace windshield

thanks for the information, it is an 87 gt so thinking I may just want to replace the windshield, had it done on a 91 notchback several years ago for $100 guessing it is more now.

Users who are viewing this thread