Scratches in chrome rims...need help.

SVTvsTheWorld

Established Member
I recently picked up a set of AFE Cobra rims, 18 in versions in chrome. They have some bad scratches in them like somebody used a rough brush on them over and over. I tried basic chrome polish by Turtle Wax and even used the mother's wheel polishing drill attachment. The chrome is shiny but it didn't touch the scratches. Can they be removed? What compounds or polishes? Process? Thx.

Attachments

• 15222746559891561119414.jpg
    15222746559891561119414.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 100

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
Yikes, i'd return them to where you got them and get your money back. If that is not an option then seek professional detailing help. Hard to tell from the pics if those can be fixed- if you run your fingernail over them do they catch your nail? This is similar to paint damage test. If your nail gets stuck then most likely it is a lost cause. An option might be to wrap or dip them to cover the damage somewhat?

SVTvsTheWorld

Established Member
Yikes, i'd return them to where you got them and get your money back. If that is not an option then seek professional detailing help. Hard to tell from the pics if those can be fixed- if you run your fingernail over them do they catch your nail? This is similar to paint damage test. If your nail gets stuck then most likely it is a lost cause. An option might be to wrap or dip them to cover the damage somewhat?

I picked them up cheap from a friend, and he was up front about the scratches txt were there when he bought the car, to b honest u cant see them until u are rt on top of it, and the light hits it just rt. But I would like to attempt to get the scratches out or atleast visibly minimized if possible.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
I picked them up cheap from a friend, and he was up front about the scratches txt were there when he bought the car, to b honest u cant see them until u are rt on top of it, and the light hits it just rt. But I would like to attempt to get the scratches out or atleast visibly minimized if possible.

Understood. I think I would try a professional detailer or maybe even a chrome shop then (unless you are really good at it yourself). I believe chrome is a pretty thin layer of material- to remove scratches does not really mean you are removing scratches you are just leveling the area around the scratch to even things out. But there is only so much chrome to work with. I know some people who have successfully removed very light scratches with fine steel wool and lots of polish, others have used very fine sandpaper, etc. but if you buff too far or too hard then it will leave worse marks. It is a balancing act that from what I understand does not have very good odds if the scratches are significant. Best of luck to you man!

SVTvsTheWorld

Established Member
Understood. I think I would try a professional detailer or maybe even a chrome shop then (unless you are really good at it yourself). I believe chrome is a pretty thin layer of material- to remove scratches does not really mean you are removing scratches you are just leveling the area around the scratch to even things out. But there is only so much chrome to work with. I know some people who have successfully removed very light scratches with fine steel wool and lots of polish, others have used very fine sandpaper, etc. but if you buff too far or too hard then it will leave worse marks. It is a balancing act that from what I understand does not have very good odds if the scratches are significant. Best of luck to you man!
Thx

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Chrome is not like polished. It is almost impossible to remove scratches from chrome. Like said earlier, chrome is a coating and is extremely thin.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Unfortunately, you will not be able to 'polish/compound' those out. Chrome as stated above is very hard and not very receptive to polishing. IMO those need to be re-chromed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with Smooth. Chrome plating is very thin. Deep scratches usually require re-plating because too much of the chrome would have to be removed to correct the issue.

SVTvsTheWorld

Established Member
I agree with Smooth. Chrome plating is very thin. Deep scratches usually require re-plating because too much of the chrome would have to be removed to correct the issue.
Thx guys, guess I'll clean em up and see if I can live with it, if not I'll pass em along to someone who doesn't need "like new" wheels

Users who are viewing this thread