Screwing in rear caliper piston - what direction??

ToddEdge

Established Member
I borrowed a rear caliper screw in tool from AutoZone but, can't seem to get the piston to turn one way or another. Can someone confirm which direction so I'm atleast fighting in the right direction?

Thanks,
Todd

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
clockwise. they can be a bitch tho, you are better off using a c clamp to press them in, and they say taking the brake fluid cap off under the hood helps too, idk if thats true or not.

ToddEdge

Established Member
I actually tried the c-clamp first and couldn't get it to budge. I then remembered from past cars that they turn... I'll just give it more force going clockwise to see if it does the trick..

Thanks,
Todd

ripnesscobra

Established Member
The C-clamp can damage your rear calipers because the pistons aren't meant to be pushed straight in like the front calipers.

Clockwise is the correct direction to turn the rear calipers as 2001GTTT said.

Make sure you are using the rear caliper tool properly but it can take a lot of torque to get them to turn in.

Also, make sure that you line up the cutouts in the piston so that they are vertical. There are bumps on the brake pad that won't fit correctly if the piston cutouts are not aligned properly.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
The tool with the two pegs right? I had to grind the inside of one to get it fit right. Take about 1/2 of the peg off. Makes it much easier.

ToddEdge

Established Member
I went up and got the correct tool from Autozone(loaner) and they turned very easily.

One question - How can you tell if the pads don't line up correctly with the "notches" in the piston when reinstalling? I marked them with a sharpee so I was within 1/8" when I reinstalled. I have looked and looked and they appear to be in the notches correctly but, no realy way to 100% confirm - is there?

Thanks guys.

Todd

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
The calipers won't fit if the notches aren't lined up. Ask me how I know.....it was a frustrating evening. A quick review of the How-to section would have alleviated A LOT of cussing. lol

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Taking the cap off does nothing. Crack the bleeder screw open and the piston will screw in easier. Just use some vinyl tubing to keep the brake fluid from making a mess.

You will have to bleed the rear brakes after though.

You can also try removing the rear rotor and bolting the rear caliper back to the hub to get more pressure on the piston when you try to screw it in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread