Sct help!!

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
The best advice with these dinosaurs (SCT3), is if it works don't **** with it. I would like to datalog, but that requires updating the firmware. I haven't updated the unit, ever, and won't! I've read to many horror stories about it bricking the ECU.

I've never seen one brick the ECU, just the handheld. You should be able datalog without updating the firmware, you just have to use the older livelink (unless 6.5 doesn't have your strategy code).

Livelink 6.5
http://www.brooksspeed.com/tag/sct-live-link/

I agree with not messing with it if it work though...

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I agree with not messing with it if you don't have to. Since I thought my handheld was F'd anyway I figured why not and tried it to see if it would fix it. It didn't fix it, but it also didn't make it worse or break anything else. I pushed off updating it for over a year prior to this. Seems like every time you update something, more bugs pop up or mess something up. I have heard of the nonupdated tuners locking up the ECU's like mentioned above. So you really have to be careful about that. I've heard of it happening twice in fact.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Interesting, my experience is with the older ECUs. What years were they put of curiousity.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I've never seen one brick the ECU, just the handheld. You should be able datalog without updating the firmware, you just have to use the older livelink (unless 6.5 doesn't have your strategy code).

Livelink 6.5
http://www.brooksspeed.com/tag/sct-live-link/

I agree with not messing with it if it work though...

At least once a month some member posts about huge problems with their SCT3. In order to use their latest LiveLink (referencing that it was LAST Nov I tried this), they wanted a firmware update. Just not interested in creating a big headache. Waiting for some info on the new nGauge for the 2010s.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're going to do a firmware update, do it when SCT is open and you can contact tech support. If you're still running an X3, upgrading to the X4 should probably be on your radar. More and more of these pop up in the classified sections.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Interesting, my experience is with the older ECUs. What years were they put of curiousity.

One was a 2006 GT here in Rapid City that one of the dyno tuners here had to go unlock and try to fix and the other was per a tuner on here that told me about the issue first. Don't know the year for that one though.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
SCT has not updated the firmware for X3s starting with serial number X3### since 2008 IIRC

einehund

Established Member
I checked on SCT's website and there is an update for my X3. I see no reason to get an X4 when the only thing i use the tuner for is to update the tune when i get new goodies, and I don't feel like paying $400 just for a new fancy gizmo to upload a tune once a year.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I checked on SCT's website and there is an update for my X3. I see no reason to get an X4 when the only thing i use the tuner for is to update the tune when i get new goodies, and I don't feel like paying $400 just for a new fancy gizmo to upload a tune once a year.

+1 But I do have to admit I like new gizmos! Lol

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I would like to datalog, but for now, that will wait. Either a deal on an X4, or wait for these nGauge things to work with a 2010.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I would like to datalog, but for now, that will wait. Either a deal on an X4, or wait for these nGauge things to work with a 2010.

So you can't datalog with Gen I (6.5) either? I haven't updated since 04 so it won't connect with Gen II, I just log Gen I and view with Gen II.

It's frustrating you have to update for livelink yet the Advantage tuning software works with all firmware. I like SCT but there software could be a little better. Livelink uses way more resources than necessary.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
U should be able to use 6.5, however if u have a Win 8 laptop, expect headaches with the drivers. Ask me how I know....... :fm:

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Yeah I have Windows 8 as well, but the laptop is just a headache in general. I do wish you could run live link and the SCT updater at the same time but it doesn't let me. It's not horrible to go back and forth but just a few tweaks could make it a lot better.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
The main problem I'm having is finding the proper format for the files to datalog or just to have what is being asked to datalog. The list I got to datalog has a bunch of stuff, but a few are either dmr or non existent. Don't know if that's the same for are versions or if I don't have the correct setup or what. I just blame it on Windows 8 and it being an X3 instead of X4...

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Yeah, with updated firmware. IMO, X3s are doorstops at this point.

From my experience and subsequent research, X3s, not XF3, are not compatible with GenII, the last firmware update for them goes back to 2008 IIRC

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Yeah, with updated firmware. IMO, X3s are doorstops at this point.

I agree. I just pray that the SCT3 works once a year when I need to flash it back to stock. No updating firmware for this dinosaur, just not worth the risk!

Users who are viewing this thread