SCT X4 - how can I back up my existing tunes on this device?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I have three tunes on my SCT X4. If this handheld tuner fails (which they do, I had SCT X3 die on me), then I lose my three tunes, which is a major disaster.

How the heck can I make emergency backup copies of the tunes? I already know I can't make backup copies to my computer, I had asked the SCT guys a few years back.

If I buy another SCT X4, can I copy the files over to that? Then I would have two SCT X4 devices with three tunes on each device. This would be worth the money for peace of mind IMO.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
are these pre-loaded tunes or did you have it dyno tuned/remote tuned or what? If it's the later the tuner should be able to email you the files to keep a copy.
Yes, thanks, I should have included that info. All tunes are custom, varied for max power and emissions. The max power tuner is unknown to me, and the emissions tuner does not respond anymore to emails or calls, so I am up shit creek without a paddle.

These are all great tunes, especially the max power tune. I would HATE to lose them and have to seek out a new shop for tuning.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, thanks, I should have included that info. All tunes are custom, varied for max power and emissions. The max power tuner is unknown to me, and the emissions tuner does not respond anymore to emails or calls, so I am up shit creek without a paddle.

These are all great tunes, especially the max power tune. I would HATE to lose them and have to seek out a new shop for tuning.

there may be a way to retrieve them via 3rd party software (and might require additional hardware) but Im just not versed on that.

@decipha may have some input

my tunes were all emailed to me so I have them all saved.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I thought you could use Live Load to save copies? It's been a while since I've done that stuff.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I have mine saved in a email file and a folder in documents that I can load to my X3. They were emailed to me by the tuner years ago.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I thought you could use Live Load to save copies? It's been a while since I've done that stuff.
Live Link Bob?
Livelink.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the updater software will let you put tunes onto the device but it looks like you can only save the stock tune file that gets downloaded from the vehicles pcm. You can delete a tune from the device but you can't pull it back over and save it. A quick google search shows in like 21 or 22 they confirmed you can't save a tune from the device, ask your tuner for a copy.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Anyone can make backup copies of your tunes including you. All the details are here.

Simply read it out

/done
Thanks, I looked at the page. If I wanted to get into the actual tuning, I might try to learn all the stuff. But one thing I have learned in the little bit of tuning I have done; it's remarkably easy to F things up when you don't know what you're doing, lol

decipha

Established Member
You cant mess anything up if your just copying out backups.

Thats the answer to your OP. You either do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you either way thats how you get backup copies of the tunes off your xcal.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Zero luck with anything. I haven't tried using 3rd party software because, with my luck, I'd screw something up.....................

decipha

Established Member
take the ecu out and ship it to me along with the xcal

$100 and i'll copy it out for you
$200 i'll convert it so you can do anything you want with it
$300 i'll write the ecu direct so your handheld is unmarried
$400 i'll hook you up with an improved base tune
$500 -you become a premium efidynotuning member and you can do anything you want at that point

Users who are viewing this thread