sea foam???

absolom

Established Member
i've always been leery of all gimmicky additives and "cleaners" but many people it seems have used seafoam and had good results...

where do you put it in and have any of ya'll used it on your cobra before???

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Never heard of it. I did a bit of research and haven't come up with anything negative about it. It makes the same claims that many other engine cleaner products make. Question. Why would you want to use an additive like this to begin with if you change your oil regularly and properly maintain your motor? Just curious.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I think Seafoam is similar to a product GM sells at its dealers called Top Engine Cleaner (part number 1050002 available at GM dealers). I can tell you that the GM stuff works well at cleaning carbon out of the combustion chambers and piston tops. I use it once every couple of years in my Crown Vic that has a pinging problem.

Here is how to use it (edit - here is wow to use it on a Grand National - LOL)

Last edited:

MVD

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Question. Why would you want to use an additive like this to begin with if you change your oil regularly and properly maintain your motor? Just curious.

No matter how much you maintain a motor it will still get buildup around the valves, carbon deposits etc.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes Top Fuel, that is exactly what it is. It is a top engine cleaner. You can also add it to your motor oil. There are many ways to use it, according to my research. It actually was made originally to clean marine engines, which is where the name came from.

GREENMAN80

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Never heard of it. I did a bit of research and haven't come up with anything negative about it. It makes the same claims that many other engine cleaner products make. Question. Why would you want to use an additive like this to begin with if you change your oil regularly and properly maintain your motor? Just curious.

The only reason I would use it is because of the fact that the engine does suck some oil into the intake, seafoam helps dissolve that.
M

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
MVD said:
No matter how much you maintain a motor it will still get buildup around the valves, carbon deposits etc.
Oh, of course. I know what top engine cleaners do. But why use a top engine cleaner on a newer motor? These additives are generally used on older motors with higher mileage. I honestly don't know of any guys around here with newer engines using a top engine cleaner. If they are a needed or recommended maintenance routine for '03/'04 Cobras, please give me more details. I'd love to hear from others using it, too. Knowledge is a good thing. ;-)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
JB, I'd love to hear your comments about Seafoam and other top engine cleaners with Terminator motors. Do you recommend it for all engines? Engines with high mileage? Engines that are driven hard?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I haven't used Seafoam but I've had good results with the GM stuff, although I've never used it as a maintenance item on my vehicles......only on high mileage/hours engines

gasoline is much cleaner now than it used to be.....I remember in the late 80's, fuel additives were being used by the major gas companies and they caused all kinds of problems with excessive deposits in the combustion chambers that were causing preignition/detonation issues, some of which couldn't be dissolved with top end cleaners

I worked for GM at the time and we were experimenting with sandblasting the combustion chamber (through sparkplug hole) using crushed walnut shells.....it would instantly burn and vaporize when the engine was fired up

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
JB said:
I worked for GM at the time and we were experimenting with sandblasting the combustion chamber (through sparkplug hole) using crushed walnut shells.....it would instantly burn and vaporize when the engine was fired up

Now that is cool.

SeaFoam will produce a visual show that something is coming out of your motor, but whether it does much else but loosen some carbon is up for debate. I plan on using it on my 03 to loosen up some of the oil on the IC. But thats really the only purpose its going to serve. I think the mpg increases are BS. I've never had a throttle response issue that wasn't fixed with a MAF cleaning, proper spark plug or IAC motor replacement.

absolom

Established Member
i still haven't found if anyone has used it on an 03/04 with success

i read about 20 threads using the search

so can it hurt the teflon coating on the eaton rotors?

Users who are viewing this thread