Seafoam really does work!!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I never really believed the seafoam hype but my car has felt sluggish as hell lately so I decided to try it. I bought a 16 ounce can and ran half through and cleaned it out then ran the other half through. The car is much better now. It wouldn't hardly turn the tires over from a roll before, after the seafoam it spins like hell and is all over the place and pulls much harder. I HIGHLY recommend seafoam for whoever was on the fence like me. Seafoam:thumbsup:

shaolinmonk777

Established Member
my car feels like that too maybe ill try it this weekend. did it screw anything up going half than half? just wondering.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Hmmm....maybe I'll try it. I would LOVE to do a before/after look at the IMRCs to see how much cleaning they ACTUALLY did. Course that would require a LOT of work so not sure. :-D Maybe over Christmas break. :shrug:

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
shaolinmonk777 said:
my car feels like that too maybe ill try it this weekend. did it screw anything up going half than half? just wondering.

No, it worked fine. I did it that way because it says on the can to only suck up 1/3 of the can.

97CasperCobra said:
Hmmm....maybe I'll try it. I would LOVE to do a before/after look at the IMRCs to see how much cleaning they ACTUALLY did. Course that would require a LOT of work so not sure. Maybe over Christmas break.

I don't think it's the IMRC's that really get cleaned. I think it's the inside of the combustion chamber and valves that really helps. But, when I was cleaning it out it would only smoke over 3500 rpms. That tells me that alot of it went into the secondary ports. Hopefully it helped clean the intake valve.

I'm like you. I've thought about pulling the intake and taking pics. Then replacing the intake, doing the seafoam and pulling the intake again. Just not sure if I want to go through all that though.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
I can attest to this being 100% accurate also :) I was there while CY98 did this and rode shotgun afterwards. After the initial comedic moment of pulling away from the shop like we were Sanford and Son, [everyone says this stuff smokes alot but until you do it, you really dont have an idea of how much it really does!] his car started to freakin get down and dirty. slamming 2nd and 3rd netted a veiw of both shoulders of the road, kicking the tail end out all over the place. It was fantastic :)

I'm doing the seaform thing to my mom's 99 this very weekend :)

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I just turned 100k and it was the first time I used. I have manually cleaned the IMRC's and it didn't have the same affect (not saying you shouldn't manually clean them because you definitely should).

Whats up Derek? Didn't expect you to pop your head in here.

97cobra$VT

97 Cobra SVT
Established Member
I already bought a can and am doing it in a few hours. I'll post my results tonight.
How much of the can should I be doing? I'm going thru the PCV hose.
What do you guys think of 1/2 can thru there and 1/2 in the gas tank?

LMK I'm doing it soon and will be checking back...

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
Hey Josh, whats up mang? Well, i found this post by doing a search on this stuff to see what everyone thought about it. My mom's 99 is damn near 60k on the ticker, so its due for some cleanings. Just put some new plugs in it this afternoon :)

Sergio

Established Member
i know i could do a search... but since this thread is here, what is seafoam? i'm sorry if its a dumb question.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
It made a helluva difference in my 99. Soo much that I did it to my g/f camry and my mom's volvo.

All three cars have picked up fuel milage a little bit.

jlauth

Established Member
sorry guys im dumb but where is the pcv valve because i think i might pick some up also. where do you get it, i could order it but do they have it at auto parts places.

97cobra$VT

97 Cobra SVT
Established Member
Well I just did it and got very little grey smoke. No big smoke ordeal at all.
I drove it around and noticed little to no difference.
My conclusion, it could be one of 3 things:

1. It's all just hype.
2. My Cobra only has 48k so maybe not much build up yet.
or
3. I did forget to warm my car up prior. So maybe that has something to do with it. I did start it up and drive it to an area 1 1/2 blocks away so the smoke cloud wouldn't phase anyone, but it was not warmed up with only 1 1/2 blocks.

Just wanted to share my 1st experience, so there it is.... :coolman:

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
97cobra$VT said:
Well I just did it and got very little grey smoke. No big smoke ordeal at all.
I drove it around and noticed little to no difference.
My conclusion, it could be one of 3 things:

1. It's all just hype.
2. My Cobra only has 48k so maybe not much build up yet.
or
3. I did forget to warm my car up prior. So maybe that has something to do with it. I did start it up and drive it to an area 1 1/2 blocks away so the smoke cloud wouldn't phase anyone, but it was not warmed up with only 1 1/2 blocks.

Just wanted to share my 1st experience, so there it is.... :coolman:

You probably didn't do it correctly then. My 99 has 57k on the ticker, and smoked so bad you could not see the raod behind me, lol. 50 feet back awas nothing but a solid wall of white smoke. I noticed a substantial gain in throttle response and pulling power immediatly. I can guarantee you it is NOT hype.

97cobra$VT

97 Cobra SVT
Established Member
Snarf said:
You probably didn't do it correctly then. My 99 has 57k on the ticker, and smoked so bad you could not see the raod behind me, lol. 50 feet back awas nothing but a solid wall of white smoke. I noticed a substantial gain in throttle response and pulling power immediatly. I can guarantee you it is NOT hype.

How can I not do it correctly?

I had engine off, disconnected pcv hose put it in the can, turned the engine on, when can was 1/2 empty turned engine off. Waited 30 minutes turned it on and let it idle for 30 seconds then reved it at 3000 for 30 seconds more.
The only thing I didn't do was do it on a warmed up engine.

Users who are viewing this thread