Seafoam???

Stevo151

Established Member
I was watching videos on seafoaming mustangs and corvettes and i was wondering what exactly it does to the car and whats the reason... So basically im asking... What exactly is seafoam and would u guy recommend it??? :shrug:

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
srsly?

it removes the caked on carbon deposits from the intake. valves, combustion chamber, etc.

it also provides an awesome smoke show for the neighbors in the process.

i take a vacuum hose and open the can, rev the motor at around 3-4k and "sip" at the seafoam with the hose. You dont want to just submerge it fully or else the motor will bog and potentially hydrolock (however unlikely). sipping at it with the motor revved gives the seafoam better atomization in the intake which means itll work better.

once you suck down half a bottle, let the car sit for 5min. then start it up, and drive it like you stole it. drive the piss out of it till theres no more smoke coming out the tailpipe.

you can also repeat, and put the rest of the contents through again to make sure you have it all. or others put 1/4 into the gas tank, and another 1/4 into their oil, though i believe directly into the motor yeilds the best results.

after seafoaming, change plugs and oil. plugs may get fouled up from the carbon deposits flying around the combustion chamber and sticking onto the tip of the electrode.

realistically, its reducing your built-up compression, however due to carbon deposits, you may have developed hot-spots which can cause pre-ignition/detonation which will hinder vehicle performance (especially those with knock sensors to detect and reduce timing). youll notice better fuel economy and increased throttle response afterwards, but this may also be a by-product of the post-seafoam tuneup.

ive taken apart a motor with 150k on the clock that had been foamed a month earlier, it was spotless. i took apart a motor with around 5k on it, and it was a mess with carbon deposits.

i have a bottle of seafoam sitting on my counter that will be sucked through my dsm shortly.

Last edited:

Stevo151

Established Member
srsly?

it removes the caked on carbon deposits from the intake. valves, combustion chamber, etc.

it also provides an awesome smoke show for the neighbors in the process.

i take a vacuum hose and open the can, rev the motor at around 3-4k and "sip" at the seafoam with the hose. You dont want to just submerge it fully or else the motor will bog and potentially hydrolock (however unlikely). sipping at it with the motor revved gives the seafoam better atomization in the intake which means itll work better.

once you suck down half a bottle, let the car sit for 5min. then start it up, and drive it like you stole it. drive the piss out of it till theres no more smoke coming out the tailpipe.

you can also repeat, and put the rest of the contents through again to make sure you have it all. or others put 1/4 into the gas tank, and another 1/4 into their oil, though i believe directly into the motor yeilds the best results.

after seafoaming, change plugs and oil. plugs may get fouled up from the carbon deposits flying around the combustion chamber and sticking onto the tip of the electrode.

realistically, its reducing your built-up compression, however due to carbon deposits, you may have developed hot-spots which can cause pre-ignition/detonation which will hinder vehicle performance (especially those with knock sensors to detect and reduce timing). youll notice better fuel economy and increased throttle response afterwards, but this may also be a by-product of the post-seafoam tuneup.

ive taken apart a motor with 150k on the clock that had been foamed a month earlier, it was spotless. i took apart a motor with around 5k on it, and it was a mess with carbon deposits.

i have a bottle of seafoam sitting on my counter that will be sucked through my dsm shortly.

oh wow thanks man for the info! im thinking about doing it just to see the results... thanks :beer:

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Seafoam is like Jesus in a bottle for your engine....in a totally secular and non-violent kind of way though.

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
You guys don't know about seafoam!? ****ing noobs. (sorry, you posted in smackdown haha)

Seafoam is fun(hell of a smoke show)...I was always to scared to put it in the cobra tho. I would run it through my older cars tho. Had a little 93 protege with 300k on it, did seafoam plus plugs, wires, airfilter and it was like a brand new car. You can pick it up at most auto parts stores. Discount or advanced should have it. Red and white can, seafoam written in a fancy looking font. Just ask the people at the counter.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Serch Engine: created by Richard Serch, it was an engine that attached the connecting rods to a modified lazy-susan. This let Serch put cylinders wherever he wanted, because of this the engine is sometimes called the "jugs akimbo" engine. It was noted for poor efficiency, and stands out as being one of the few engines to display increased wear on the pistons without ever being started.

Jim Snover

Looks like we need to seafoam our serch engine.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
I never change the plugs just because I used Seafoam.

Also, I almost never use it via the vacuum tube in the manifold. I put two cans in the gas tank every six months. no smoke, and it cleans the injectors.

The smoke show is much mroe fun, though.

Jim Snover

You didn't change the plugs after treatment?

Blackness03

Established Member
You didn't change the plugs after treatment?

nope.. i had a skipping problem under load and changed them before. still didn't fix the problem so i then tried seafoam and it cleared it right up. this was about right at a year ago when i did that and no problems since.

i think it has alot to do with how you drive it when you are waiting for the smoke show to be over. i drove the shit out of mine

txyaloo

Established Member
Why is this in Smack Down?

Was it due to yet another ****ing retard putting a thread in the wrong spot?

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
That hit me right between the eyes. I'm at work and just busted out laughing, and then had to explain why.

Jim Snover

Seafoam is like Jesus in a bottle for your engine....in a totally secular and non-violent kind of way though.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
**** the seafoam. take her on a couple hard pulls first thru 5th and blow out some carbon just the same :shrug:

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
Got a can waiting to go in my car. Ive used it in all my mustangs with great results and never any problems.

.....and this should be in roadside.

Users who are viewing this thread